X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawn lines appear in different locations in different time frames

Hi,

Noticed the following issue:
    If I draw a line in a bigger time frame (say on a Daily chart) and then switch to a lower time frame (say 2 min, 5 min, tick etc.), it appears in completely different location. I think angle of this line remains the same.

What that may be?

Thanks!

It is geometrically totally normal that the drawings are distorted in different timeframes. Look at the PRICES of the drawings, they must be exact.

Regards from Chile.
    Last edited by samir; 07-07-2018, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by samir View Post
      It is geometrically totally normal that the drawings are distorted in different timeframes. Look at the PRICES of the drawings, they must be exact.

Regards from Chile.

Hi,

This is what I mean - they are not at the same prices. Say if on Dail chart you have it on 1400 for example, on 2 min chart it will be on 1405 or so.
      This happens to not horizontal lines, and horizontal lines seem to be OK.

Comment

Ok,

For example, a trend line (F2), right click and properties, view price in "data", this price is exactly all timeframes Start Y End Y.

Do you have an image?

Comment

Originally posted by samir View Post
          Ok,

For example, a trend line (F2), right click and properties, view price in "data", this price is exactly all timeframes Start Y End Y.

Do you have an image?
          This is what I'm getting:

Daily chart:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	ES 09-18 (Daily).png
Views:	1
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	887074

5 Min Chart:

Name:	ES 09-18 (5 Minute).png
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	887075

The left vertical green line on 5Min chart is the top green line of a channel of a Daily chart. Yellow line - same issue.
          Coordinates of the lines remain same!
          Last edited by cabum; 07-07-2018, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Hello cabum,

What are the prices of the anchor points before and after changing the bar type and or interval?

The prices of the anchors can be viewed in the Drawing Objects window.
            (Select the object > right-click the object > select Properties > expand Data to view the prices
            OR right-click the chart -> select Drawing Tools > Drawing Objects... > select the object > expand Data and view the anchor prices.)

Below is a link to a video that demonstrates, and shows that I am also unable to reproduce this behavior when using the latest version of NinjaTrader (8.0.14.2).

Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
              Hello cabum,

What are the prices of the anchor points before and after changing the bar type and or interval?

The prices of the anchors can be viewed in the Drawing Objects window.
              (Select the object > right-click the object > select Properties > expand Data to view the prices
              OR right-click the chart -> select Drawing Tools > Drawing Objects... > select the object > expand Data and view the anchor prices.)

Below is a link to a video that demonstrates, and shows that I am also unable to reproduce this behavior when using the latest version of NinjaTrader (8.0.14.2).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t_3...w?usp=drivesdk

Hello Chelsea,
              Thanks for the response.

Shall do video once reach my computer.
              In the meantime what I noticed is that this odd behavior can be found on the extended lines which go father to the right after the chart.
              Shall do the video and show you.

Comment

Hello cabum,

Before creating the video, be sure you are using the latest version (8.0.14.2).

Comment

Hello cabum,

Thank you for providing the video.

In the video you have demonstrated that the anchor points are not moving.

The start y 2592,09 and end y 2761,29 remain the same even after you change from daily to minute.

The daily bar closes at 17:00 your time (on March 22?) and the anchor is set to the end of the day.

Assuming that the minute data is also on March 22 (which is not shown in the video so we have no idea what date the minute data is ending on), then this would be at 6:00 about 11:00 hours before the end anchor.

The start anchor price is way down below the visible minute data at 2592,09 where the visible low on the chart is somewhere at about ~2757,00. That's 165 points or 660 ticks above the start anchor price.

The angle of the line in your video does appear correct and did not change.

Try setting the end anchor time to 6:00.

Comment

Chelsea,

But why does the line show up in the correct position when I increase the quantity of minute bars (in my video I set it to 30 and the line appeared where it should be)? It seems in this case there's no point in setting anchors..

Comment

Hello cabum,

What is the close time and date and the close price of the last bar when 30 minute data is set?

What is the time and date and end y price of the anchor?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
                        Hello cabum,

What is the close time and date and the close price of the last bar when 30 minute data is set?

What is the time and date and end y price of the anchor?

Chelsea,

It all remains same. And there's no 30 min data, it's 30 days of 5min data. When it's two days of 5min data - line is located in one place on a chart, and if it's 30 days of 5min chart - location is different. Maybe I don's understand the logic behind.

Let's do it the other way.
                        What should I do if I need:
                        - to draw an extended trend line on a daily chart;
                        - then to have the same line on a 5min two day chart? Can you show with the video maybe?
                        Thanks!

Comment

Hello cabum,

When you mention: "in my video I set it to 30", what are you setting to 30?

I can only say that in your video the line is appearing the correct place and is not moving. Its the data visible in the chart that is changing.

If the chart is appearing correct, then the last bar of data is likely near where the anchor is set.

I'm saying if you want the line to meet the close of the 6:00 bar, then set the end anchor time to 6:00.

The line is going to render where its set to render. Currently, from you video you had this set to render to the end of the day for one anchor, and way way below the chart for the other anchor.

Comment

Chelsea,

Please see the picture.
                            In the video there were 3 timeframes with different periods:
                            1. Daily chart (initially).
                            2. Switched to 5min 2 DAYS period.
                            3. Switched to 5min 30 DAYS period.

Only 1 and 3 were equial in terms of orientation of the line compared to the chart.

Name:	Line.jpg
Size:	490.7 KB
ID:	887090

I understand your idea about the anchor points, but in terms of short time periods it seems there's a bug as you may clearly see that on the picture above. If the coordinate system becomes "compressed" for some reason, you'll have the same coordinates, but wrong angle and placement. This is the only idea I have at the moment.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by trilliantrader, 04-18-2024, 08:16 AM
                            5 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post trilliantrader  
                            Started by Davidtowleii, Today, 12:15 AM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Davidtowleii