Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All possible addon locations

Hello,

I made the mistake of installing some sketchy 3rd party tools - no uninstaller even provided and no uninstall instructions on their site (won't name names but they are a 3rd party dataprovider for crypto data)

usually I would contact the vendor but they don't respond to my emails when I asked about how to uninstall.

now the demo expired and ninjatrader can no longer load.I just get an exception asking me to contact the ofuscation vendor

So I need to know all locations to search for 3rd party addons.

Please list all of them where they could be installed.

The addon gets installed by importing ninjascript

Ideally it would be best if I could somehow look at some logs somewhere that say exactly what dll is being loaded that prevents ninjatrader from loading

thanks.
    Last edited by NinjaCustomer; 05-22-2018, 06:07 AM.

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Glad to assist. Add-on files are generally stored in the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > bin > Custom folders. Unfortunately there is not an indication of exactly where the addon may store their items, though I suggest trying the bottom of the Custom folder itself and Indicators.

If you are able to launch after deleting the addons, see the below section of our help guide for how to remove the addtional add ons via NinjaTrader.

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...emovingAdd-Ons

I've also included steps below regarding creating a clean installation of NinjaTrader if needed.

Close all running applications.
    Uninstall NinjaTrader within Windows Control Panel.
    Navigate to your Documents folder > Right click on the 'NinjaTrader 8' folder > Rename > rename the folder to 'NinjaTrader 8 OLD'. DO NOT delete this folder.
    Navigate to C:\ > Program File (x86) > Delete the 'NinjaTrader 8' folder if it exists
    Reboot your PC.
    Once these steps are completed, download and install NT8 from the link below with our Sim key.

@SIM-A82F-D583-40B1-AE74-B79F-705D-1952

http://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_EricB; 05-22-2018, 07:11 AM.
    Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

you mean it is possible that addons could be stored outside of ninjatrader folders?

Comment

my bin\customer folder has absolutely nothing in it except a backup and snippets folder... I'm assuming anything in the backup folder couldn't be causing the problem, right? since it is a backup?

Comment

how does ninja know what custom addons to load? if they are not all in folders ninja knows about?

Comment

ok i found it.. ninjatrader actually has several bin folders

Comment

is it ok to delete a <Reference> in custom csproj ?

that refers to the problem dll?

Comment

Thank you for your reply,

Glad to hear you were able to find the folders. Yes, please try removing the reference to the the addon.

Feel free to also contract us at PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]Com if you still see the same. We do not have resources for third party items of this nature, where third-party addons place their files essentially be guess work from our end so it may be best to directly look into the issue.
                Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I think you should write a short how-to guide.

The problem with link you gave to help is that it requires NinjaTrader to be running, which is the problem because if the addon makes an exception (like "license / demo expired" type thing) then NT is prevented from starting for some reason... i.e. I didn't even see the splashscreen. The exception dialog came before that.

actually mine didn't even say license/demo expired - I just deduced that. It was an exception from the obfuscator, but I'm pretty sure it was about time for the demo to stop working.

Put in the howto

1. how to remove the reference
                  2. where to find the dlls - with special instructions that the user should look in x86 program files only if he's running the 32 bit, otherwise the regular Program Files folder

of course it would be really really nice if NT just ignored such errors when unable to load a custom addon and continued to load

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Below is a step by step guide on how to delete a reference:

Open a new NinjaScript editor and select any indicator and compile to show the compile errors.
                    Right-click within the NinjaScript Editor window and select "References".
                    Locate and select the reference to the .dll file mentioned in the Error.
                    Click "Delete" to remove the reference.
                    Click "OK" and recompile.

As Eric stated, we try not to supply 'blanket' guides as every 3rd party indicator is different. We always advise contacting the vendor first, and then reaching out to us if they are unable to get assistance from the vendor.

Please let me know if I may assist further.
                    Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

ok but please consider allowing NT to load up if a 3rd party dll gives an exception - you could use some kind of try / catch mechanism I guess

otherwise ppl can waste valuable time while the market is open trying to figure out how to uninstall something

and as well, realize that not all vendors will respond to emails - some maybe not in a timely fashion, others just can't be bothered once they realize a sale is not imminent (e.g. like when you ask how to uninstall something)
                      Last edited by NinjaCustomer; 05-22-2018, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                      4 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post DJ888
                      by DJ888

Started by terofs, Today, 04:18 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes