Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error message: System.NullReferenceException

Hello,
    I ran into an issue this past Saturday (5/19/18) that may be causing more problems, so I think it might be time to request some support.

Right before this error occurred, I was trying to write some code to invoke R (open source statistical software) from a new strategy class. All I managed to finish was pretty basic: adding references and USING statements and then attempting to figure out the syntax for passing commands. This part is only important because I thought it may have caused the following problem, but now I no longer believe that to be the case.

Anyway, during all of that, my development instance of NT8 (version 8.0.13.1, 64-bit multi-broker) crashed and would not re-start. It threw a couple of error messages: one was a simple "Object Reference not set to an instance of an Object" and the other was as follows:
    "System.NullReferenceException was unhandled
    Message: An unhandled exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred in NinjaTrader.Core.dll
    Additional information: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Re-running the installer pack to try to repair the installation didn't work, although an attempted launch after the fact caused my system to max out my disk I/O as listed in the task manager - and didn't launch the program. Finding that to be an unsatisfactory resolution, I rebooted and ran an uninstall/reinstall. This appears to have solved that specific problem.

Here's the kicker: I thought that the issue may have somehow been caused by my attempts to invoke R, but I no longer believe that to be the case because (and I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't immediately check this) my "production" instance of NT8, which is hosted on a server, crashed with the exact same error message. Exporting the log for this wasn't possible, but my guess is that it happened at around the same time. The odd thing is that, since this wasn't caught until the next day, closing and re-opening NT just.... worked.

This brings me to another problem that happened after the crash: a strategy that was in use before the crash threw an error on its first attempted trade. The error message for this is: "401321422 Unable to find market ID for USDJPY. Make sure you have a market data subscription for this instrument. affected Order: SellShort 11 StopMarket @ 111.007."

And, to throw in yet another plot twist, my account is with Forex.com, and that uses the new "G2 Account" setting. This was NOT the first attempted trade with this, however; I had one successful trade using that protocol last week.

With all of that said, the question is: what's going on?

Thank you.

Hello UglyHack,

Thank you for your post.

I could not state what is occurring without investigating this matter further.

Please send me your log and trace files from both PCs that this crash occurred on so that I may look into what occurred. You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Mail to Platform Support. Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.

Please place 'ATTN: Patrick H' in the subject line and reference this thread in the body of the email.

I look forward to your response.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM
    11 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post jculp
    by jculp

Started by RubenCazorla, Today, 09:07 AM
    0 responses