Nt8 lagging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Ray and thanks,
    Yes it is - I have 3 instances per instrument in order to get Overnight, Current RTH day and ETH Day HL (I'm not drawing Opens or Closes - plotting the absolute minimum I can, to progress in baby-steps). Each is set to "Plot current value only" so that I get only a horizontal line of the Range H/L, not 'stair-stepping' (and thus, which I guess is where you may be coming from, have to be rendered each redraw).
    The lines are dots and dashes, so now knowing from below a single solid line is more 'render-efficient', I can tweak this element

Kind regards
    Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by brucerobinson View Post
      Hello Ray and thanks,
      Yes it is - I have 3 instances per instrument in order to get Overnight, Current RTH day and ETH Day HL (I'm not drawing Opens or Closes - plotting the absolute minimum I can, to progress in baby-steps). Each is set to "Plot current value only" so that I get only a horizontal line of the Range H/L, not 'stair-stepping' (and thus, which I guess is where you may be coming from, have to be rendered each redraw).
      The lines are dots and dashes, so now knowing from below a single solid line is more 'render-efficient', I can tweak this element

Kind regards
      Bruce
      Excellent. For the CurrentDayOHL() indicator, in my own tests, that for sure can cause a performance issue and we will look to fix it. Please try the following which will give you the same result visually but improve performance thousands of times over.

- Disable "Plot current value only"
      - Change each plot's "Plot style" to "Horizontal line" (I provided an image for example)

Then run that and let us know if that improves things...I suspect it will.
      Attached Files
      RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by imalil View Post
        I use tick charts, smallest around 500. I don't draw hor or vert lines at all. I have an indicator that draws two vert lines per day which I know is not the issue. Based on what I'm reading, it simply sounds like NT8 cannot handle the kind of volatility we've been experiencing. There are too many of us with the exact same symptoms. I'll work on my workspace, but most of the people here have much more powerful computers than me and we're all having the same problems, so I don't have much hope.
        There are many variables that can impact performance. The overwhelming majority are related to 3rd party code. That being said, we are very eager to work on these issues with our customers to determine root cause and if specific to NinjaTrader itself, we will diligently resolve the issue.

We would love to speak with you personally and review your set up. You can email our support attention to Brett, reference this post and we will follow up accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by RonnyKeller View Post
          Once I changed my chart property to interval value = 10 and therefore decreasing the horizontal grid to less than 20, all lagging was gone immediately. Happened to see a similar behavior on my 60-minutes chart where horizontal lines are set to "automatic" - changing to fixed bigger distance / less lines got rid of lagging there as well.
          Hi RonnyKeller,
          In automatic mode, maybe only a handful of horizontal grid lines are drawn which is immaterial to performance. Are you saying that in this mode, there was a lot of horizontal lines? If yes, can you let me know what instrument, how many days back, possibly provide a screenshot so I can investigate?

Comment

Hello Ray and thanks.
            I already have Plot Style Horizontal Lines selected.
            If I understand correctly, you are saying 'Plot current value only' is a resource hog to achieve this as opposed to resource saver, and Horizontal Lines gives me that result anyhow.

From memory, I used the function Plot Current Value only, because it is there and for that, I think it is in a post of one of your colleagues as a solution on how to get the Session H/L across the chart. Then, I didn't like the Default Plot Style Squares so changed the lines' Style to my NT7. And expected I would get that plot style, but if Current Value only setting not checked would get stair-stepping with the horizontal line style applied to each 'step'

That seemed/seems reasonable to me!

It will take some time to make this change and apply to all charts, use and report back.
            But I will.

Thanks for your input, & let's hope it makes a significant impact.

Kind regards
            Bruce
            Attached Files

Comment

If I understand correctly, you are saying 'Plot current value only' is a resource hog to achieve this as opposed to resource saver, and Horizontal Lines gives me that result anyhow.
              That's exactly what I am saying. We will be removing this property of this indicator since as pointed out, the same result is accomplished by using Horizontal Line plot style. The Horizontal plot style didn't exist when the CurrentDayOHL indicator was introduced hence it came with the "Plot current value" property. Now that property is no longer needed.

Comment

Well I'm simply going to call it like it is - I saved the change (unchecked Plot Current Value only setting) to my preset and to my Default Chart Template.

I then proceeded to go around each chart and apply the new template
                About 8 charts in, I got the attached error and program force Close. Haven't had an error in the log this week.

I don't need a post-mortem, because I am confident I will get to a stable state when I have made all the changes and cease and desist. And I'm optimistic the changes will bring some benefit

But it is what happens, making changes. I should have know better and done this when the markets are closed

I have no third-party indicators, only Ninja's

I have built my workspace from a fresh vanilla install. Ground up

Always looking to the bright side - it would take 20 minutes to re-launch my 7 setup, my 8 takes seconds!

Kind regards

Comment

See attached log
                  Attached Files

Comment

Well I'm simply going to call it like it is - I saved the change (unchecked Plot Current Value only setting) to my preset and to my Default Chart Template.

I then proceeded to go around each chart and apply the new template
                    About 8 charts in, I got the attached error and program force Close. Haven't had an error in the log this week.

I don't need a post-mortem, because I am confident I will get to a stable state when I have made all the changes and cease and desist. And I'm optimistic the changes will bring some benefit

But it is what happens, making changes. I should have know better and done this when the markets are closed

I have no third-party indicators, only Ninja's

I have built my workspace from a fresh vanilla install. Ground up

Always looking to the bright side - it would take 20 minutes to re-launch my 7 setup, my 8 takes seconds!

Kind regards
                    If not too late, please send in your workspace attention to Ray via Control Center Help > Email to Support.

Thanks

Comment

You may want to try reducing the amount of days you are a going back on your charts. I had the same issue on my laptop, I added another 16gb for a total of 48gb and it stopped the issue. My screen was freezing even at 32gb and the cursor started messing up. I also am running a newer processor I7 6700K 4.GHZ. I think ninja trader isn't optimized, it seems buggy.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
                        Thanks for posting your experience. You may in fact have been hitting an actual rendering "wall" there. This primarily is a function of the pure rendering speed of the video card. What video card do you have currently in that setup? Additionally, were these dashed lines by chance? I do know that dashed lines are very much more challenging to render the just solid lines for the video card.
                        Have long had a problem with the Trend Channel tool ....have been drawing the Trend line as dots....and fairly often when drawing an initial horizontal trend line the chart would become non-responsive....the pen would often pull away from the Trend when drawing the initial horizontal line....(drawing any non horizontal trend line has not been a problem)....now today switching to a solid line on the Trend I find can now draw horizontal lines without a problem !!....screen shot below....

My graphics card is not that powerful....perhaps it's time for a better card...

Thanks much....
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Alfred; 02-09-2018, 11:28 AM. Reason: fix term

Comment

pthomas,
                          thanks for the suggestion. I am familiar with that consideration. I only have 5 days loaded currently - baby-steps approach building and being as kind to it as I can
                          Kind regards
                          Bruce

Comment

Hello Ray and thanks.

Well, that has without doubt resulted in a very noticeable improvement to cross-hair lag..
                            Also, using mouse-wheel scroll horizontal was previously very slow, I believe to have been the cause of some lock-up/crashes and avoided using it, where dragging the chart didn't. Similarly vastly improved - presumably along the same lines (sic), Current OHL calcs & render every step, which dragging does not

I must however report that there is still perceptible cross-hair lag. If I put my cursor over the DOM, there is not. If I turn off Cross-Hairs, there is not. It is not the same on all timeframes or instruments. NQ is relatively worse. 10 seconds no lag, 5 minutes still very noticeable. Move the mouse and wait to see where the cross-hairs appear. I'll see whether it 'matters' to me in normal use.

I have a hazy recollection of chart refresh rate being 'proportionate' to chart speed, and wonder if.... Just a thought, I have no wish to set another hare running on this thread

Having addressed the 'Plot Current Value only' in your Current OHL indicator is a good end to the week and in markedly better shape for next.

I'll also implement Brett's suggestion re: dashed lines. Every little that may help...

Thank you for your intervention

Kind regards
                            Bruce

Comment

Hello Ray and thanks.

Well, that has without doubt resulted in a very noticeable improvement to cross-hair lag..

Thank you for your intervention

Kind regards
                              Bruce
                              You are very welcome, glad to help. Can you tell me what NinjaTrader version you are using? Via Help > About.

Comment

VPS Lagging, Stalling, Froze Twice

Hello,

I am now using NT7 on a VPS located near the Chicago servers. There was always a delay for my trade execution after I pressed the buy/sell button, but now there is also a significant delay when trying to grab my stop-loss or profit target and move it, using Chart Trader.

In addition, when trying to switch over to another market where the price was taking off, NT7 on the VPS froze on me, on two separate occations. I had to disconnect and then reconnect, but that took to long, I missed the price move.

I had a huge losing day when simulated trading this morning, because of all these problems. I have been scalp trading using 5 contract and 10 contract positions, so a 1, 2, or 3 Tick loss due to the platform stalling is significant and adds up, if such losses occur multiple times.

I was very profitable using this scalping strategy recently, but today was a disaster because NT7 was especially slow while the markets were especially fast. I couldn't move my profit target to take profits fast enough, then those sizable profits would turn into a huge loss, over and over again.

So when using NT8 on my home PC I have a lagging and freezing problem. And when using NT7 on a VPS I have a lagging problem.

This lagging problem could mean the difference between being able to be a profitable day trader and becoming a day trader that blows up his account and loses all his trading funds.

What would be the cause of this lagging on NT7 while using a VPS? Is it the VPS connection? Maybe the VPS is now leasing out too many blocks of server space? Maybe I need to sign up to lease the more expensive (hopefully faster) VPS? Something on Ninjatraders side? Third party indicators? Bugs in the code? I use 1 day for my 1 minute chart and 4 Range chart, do we need a half a day option?

I am trying to day trade in a safe and hopefully profitable way, instead I have to be a troubleshooting technician each week, at risk of huge losses in the markets due to a lagging slow platform.

And once again, the solution is...?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
                                4 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post DynamicTest  
                                Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
                                4 responses
                                0 likes