Indicator 'NinjaTrader.Indicator.VOL' could not be serialized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a couple of charts opened with just the native built-in Ninjatrader Volume indicator. After the close, I wanted to do a regular backup, while doing it, this message just pop out:

So, I delete the Volume indicator from Charts and the backup happily was done, Despite so far, this is not a real issue, however, it worries me that something could come up during a live trading session. This is the first time I have seen this error.

Please consider to review this and let us know any amendment or suggestion to prevent any serious failure.

Thanks

Hello pstrusi,

A common reason we see this error is when older or different versions of the VOL indicator is imported with scripts.

When importing note that on any files that say "File already exists on your PC" that start with an "@" symbol are the ones that came preloaded inside of NinjaTrader so you would say "No" so that you do not override those files.

I would recommend running the repair from the 7.0.1000.38 installer to replace any system indicators that may have been altered with the original versions.

Below is a public link to the downloads.
    NinjaTrader is a futures trading platform that delivers integrated multi-device trading. Discover our best platform to trade futures for active futures traders.

The serialization error indicates the workspace and or template doesn't match the indicator's coded inputs.

After running the repair, restart NinjaTrader and re-save any workspace and re-save any default indicator template.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
      Hello pstrusi,

A common reason we see this error is when older or different versions of the VOL indicator is imported with scripts.

When importing note that on any files that say "File already exists on your PC" that start with an "@" symbol are the ones that came preloaded inside of NinjaTrader so you would say "No" so that you do not override those files.

I would recommend running the repair from the 7.0.1000.38 installer to replace any system indicators that may have been altered with the original versions.

Below is a public link to the downloads.
      NinjaTrader is a futures trading platform that delivers integrated multi-device trading. Discover our best platform to trade futures for active futures traders.

The serialization error indicates the workspace and or template doesn't match the indicator's coded inputs.

After running the repair, restart NinjaTrader and re-save any workspace and re-save any default indicator template.
      Hi Chelsea,

Thanks for your quick response.

I'll be performing your indications ASAP, but it's still weird having in consideration that this is a week ago NT7 fresh install with a little restore of past basic configurations. I never got any of those warning messages of substituting @xxxxx indicator, weird.

EDIT:
      I've realized that this "drawing indicator error" happens in every chart for any indicator for the first 19 ticks of a new session.. Basically the error is that any Indicator is not Shown or drawn at all in the chart, like the data didn't exist, afterwards it got normal once again. In the below attached file you can see an example. It seems related to some procedure or rule in the database or XML files.

I've checked in the forum similar situations with different suggestions, here some:
      - Running the repair from the 7.0.1000.38 installer to replace any system indicators
      Realizing that this is not about one indicator, I really think that this issue is database related

- Please try repairing your database: Tools --> Options --> Misc --> Repair DB.
      This might be a solution, still not tried cause markets are active,

- It seems related too with Workspaces XML files. Perhaps I should reset them

Any additional suggestions, ideas, post...etc let me know

Thanks and Regards!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by pstrusi; 07-02-2018, 03:32 AM.

Comment

After trying every known method to clean, reset...etc the database, it was not possible to address that weird database corruption. Despite of having all data correctly registered in the sdf file, nothing worked. The last try was restoring to a trusted point and still I got this message:

"Workspace was unable to restore a chart using instrument '$EURUSD IBidealPro' because it does
        not exist in the database "
        when I had all data well set. So, I suspect perhaps something was wrong within Windows 10 sql server service related, perhaps after an update, who knows. I had to fresh install, losing all data, cause any restore simply carried the same issue to the new install. So, there you have it.

By the way, after the fresh install, I've realized that new installations now come with the unrequired TeamViewerQs application. I'm sure that it should be a good tool for remote assistant in serious issues, but this can be done after a request by the client.

Suggestion: remove TeamViewerQs application from new installation if it's not required.
        Last edited by pstrusi; 07-07-2018, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

The TeamViewer part of the download is only for use during remote support sessions with our support team.

Please write into to PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]Com along with your log and trace files and a link to this forum post.

Please follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to your response so I may investigate this matter further.
          Open your NinjaTrader folder under Documents.
          Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
          Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
          Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.
          Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

After a "brand new fresh installation", with a new database, I've realized that once again, I have a weird issue with the first 20 ticks, always the very first 20 ticks, where they have all data ( price, volume, high, low...etc ) BUT if you add any indicator in the chart, this indicator will draw NOTHING for the very first 20 ticks as they didn't exist at all. Not only I wonder why, but also I'm afraid that this issue could possibly affect backtest calculations, trades...whatever it took.

Here you have it in the attached file, have a look, escalate it to Devs please.

Thanks
            Attached Files
            Last edited by pstrusi; 07-09-2018, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pstrusi View Post
              After a "brand new fresh installation", with a new database, I've realized that once again, I have a weird issue with the first 20 ticks, always the very first 20 ticks, where they have all data ( price, volume, high, low...etc ) BUT if you add any indicator in the chart, this indicator will draw NOTHING for the very first 20 ticks as they didn't exist at all. Not only I wonder why, but also I'm afraid that this issue could possibly affect backtest calculations, trades...whatever it took.

Here you have it in the attached file, have a look, escalate it to Devs, please.

Thanks
              Consulting to a senior member that really knows NT deeply, he rapidly saw that this is happening cause the default BarsRequired property = 20 that is set for indicators. I think he's totally right. The only thing that made me confused was that weird message of "indicator 'NinjaTrader.Indicator.VOL' could not be serialized" because I was trying to backup that new database with the Volume indicator set at that moment.

Comment

Hello pstrusi,

Are you certain the error was a serialization error?

Serialization is converting a value to a string to save input values in an xml document such as the workspace, UI, and template files (and vice versa).

This error would not have anything to do with OnBarUpdate().

Below is a public link to a forum page that demonstrates how to properly serialize an indicators inputs such as Color objects.

If an input is not properly serialized in the code of the script a Serialization error will appear when loading the indicator. (The original VOL indicator does not have any inputs that need serialization)

If the inputs change for an indicator and an xml file such as a workspace or template has the old inputs saved, this error will occur when the values saved don't match the values of the indicator.
                (This is where the common mistake of some clients is overwriting system indicators with different versions. The "@" symbol denotes a system indicator. Always click no when importing scripts if prompted to replace an existing indicator if the @ symbol preceeds the indicator name)

I have recommended that you re-save the workspace and any indicator template. (This means right-clicking the parameter grid in the Indicator window and selecting 'Set Default for VOL')

As long as you have the original version of the script and the xml documents are re-saved this should resolve the error. If not, it may be necessary to delete and re-create these.

What does the error message say exactly?
                Is there more than one error you are wanting to report?
                (Is there an OnBarUpdate error you are getting in the Log tab of the Control Center?)

If thats the only message you are getting, and running the repair, re-saving the indicator template default, and re-saving the workspace is not correcting the error, I would like to schedule a call to take a look.

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

Don't worry. A week ago I decided to make a new fresh install and still didn't try to do a backup with the bult-in Volume indicator on the chart, I'll let you know if anything goes wrong.

At least, now I know why the blank indicators space in the first ticks of a chart, nothing related to database issues, and that's a progress.

Thanks!

Comment

Hello pstrusi,

I want to confirm that yes, the first 20 bars of indicators are not plotted because BarsRequired is by default 20. Setting this to 1 will cause the plot to appear over the second bar. (Usually at least 1 bar is required depending on how the indicator works)

However, it is extremely unlikely this has anything to do with the serialization error you have received.

Below is a public link to the help guide on BarsRequired.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by BarzTrading, Today, 07:25 AM
                    2 responses
                    1 like
                    Last Post BarzTrading  
                    Started by devatechnologies, 04-14-2024, 02:58 PM
                    3 responses
                    0 likes