Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Heiken-Ashi - Alert Development Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heiken-Ashi - Alert Development Question

I havent found it anywhere on here or been able to figure out how to do this but can an alert be generated when a Heiken-Ashi bar changes from red to green and vice versa?

The Heiken Ashi indicator is a visualization indicator only and cannot be programmatically accessed for values. Because of this reason you cannot create alerts for it.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'm NOT a Programmer

but isnt there somewhere in the code that says if then=green or something? How do the colors change? Just wondering...

Comment

You cannot programmatically access the values of the HA indicator. You can feel free to muck around in it and modify its code all you want, but you cannot access the values from another script currently.

Comment

They ahve to be SOMEHWRE NO?

Like I said...I wouldnt know the first thing about playing around with the code..However, I was looking at calculations of the Heiken bars:

Heikin-Ashi candles are different and each candle is calculated and plotted using some information from the previous candle:
          1- Close price: the close price in a Heikin-Ashi candle is the average of open, close, high and low price.
          2- Open price: the open price in a Heikin-Ashi candle is the average of the open and close of the previous candle.
          3- High price: the high price in a Heikin-Ashi candle is chosen from one of the high, open and close price of which has the highest value.
          4- Low price: the high price in a Heikin-Ashi candle is chosen from one of the high, open and close price of which has the lowest value.

So clearly they are calculated in the code somehow. I am not trying to be a pain in the ass but can you explain in laymens terms why the code cannot be accessed? How does it know when to turn the bars red or green?

Comment

pdmoney,

Yes, it is coded in there. The indicator is visualization only. There is no layman's term for why it can't be accessed. It is for various programming reasons. If you want more from it you need to do it yourself. If you do not want to do it yourself you can try one of the 3rd party NinjaScript Consultants here: http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/pa...injaScript.htm

I cannot provide you any further assistance on this. If you want to know when bars turn red or green I suggest you google Heikin-Ashi in general. You should be able to find several articles discussing its philosophy. We are not trade educators and as such cannot answer that question for you.

Comment

hi,
              try this one Mod Heiken Ashi from the downloadarea.
              it is done in another way of coding - without that paintstuff - alerts should be possible with this i think.
              hope that helps !

Comment

Thanks..Leads to another question

Sorry if this is all newbie stuff, but how would I use that as an alert?
                I am new to NT and working my way through this stuff...any help would be appreciated..

Comment

Comment

open-close price

Hi Josh
                    Is there any way to set up price open/close on heikinachi indicator and in the mean time to keep colors on the bar the way it is?

Comment

angelohr,

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you please elaborate a little bit more? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
                        You cannot programmatically access the values of the HA indicator. You can feel free to muck around in it and modify its code all you want, but you cannot access the values from another script currently.
                        Josh,

May be I am missing something there, but according to my knowledge you can access the values of the HA indicator.
                        All these values are plots, just they are "transparent"...

roonius

Comment

roonius,

When you try it you will get this error message: "Error on calling the 'OnBarUpdate' method for indicator 'hatest' on bar 0: The indicator 'HeikenAshi' is intended for visualization and can only be used on a chart".

If you guys want to access the values you need to mod the indicator.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
                            roonius,

When you try it you will get this error message: "Error on calling the 'OnBarUpdate' method for indicator 'hatest' on bar 0: The indicator 'HeikenAshi' is intended for visualization and can only be used on a chart".

If you guys want to access the values you need to mod the indicator.
                            Josh,

Sorry, you are absolutely right... Overlooked "ChartOnly"...

Comment

I see people are looking for this for a long time, so I took a quick shot and
                              modified existin HeikinAshi. You can access values from strategies or other indicators, plus I used override Plot method to draw it, so it's less resource hungry...
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by roonius; 01-14-2009, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by BarzTrading, Today, 07:25 AM
                              2 responses
                              1 like
                              Last Post BarzTrading  
                              Started by devatechnologies, 04-14-2024, 02:58 PM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH