Feature request for more validation in various windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature request for more validation in various windows

The difference between input validation and confirmations came up in this thread:

https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...082#post538082

There is a huge difference. My request is to offer validation in several windows that have a form-like workflow even though this platform is a WPF app and not Windows Forms.

By form-like I mean several input controls and then the data is parameterized and collected all at once with a "submit" button for further processing. To keep the data clean primitive textboxes are avoided because they allow all sorts of invalid input.

This is already being done by use of specialized input controls with type, format, and value restrictions: a selector with known list of items, the QUD with quantity int value >0, etc.

Usually validation is implemented via binding of the control — a MessageBox or some warning red label TextBlock toggled visible right on the window itself, or a ToolTip etc, when the user is trying to input impermissible values. Or the control can just do the restriction silently and not even tell the user why a "?" character is being ignored for a phone number input. This is exactly the behavior of the QUD. If the user inputs "T", or "0", the control changes it to "1" with no explanation why.

However, the Order Ticket input controls are still static. They offer no or little interactive behavior between the controls like binding or selection changed event handlers. If instead of two buttons, BUY and SELL, there was an ActionSelector combobox with Buy/Sell/SellShort/BuyToCover items, then a lot more logic could be implemented at input time.

For example there should be validation method that uses four different parameters: OrderTypeSelector.SelectedItem, LimitPriceControl.Value, ActionSelector.SelectedItem and MarketData.Last to generate a warning against any of these improper orders:
    1. StopLimit order out-of-the-money
      Buy StopLimit below the market
      Sell StopLimit above the market
    2. Limit order in-of-the-money
      Buy Limit above the market
      Sell Limit below the market
    I made an elaborate request for CONFIRMATIONS in this thread:
    https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...186#post538186

Newbies to trading, or experienced traders new to the platform, especially if doing a trial prefer more hand holding.

So in the Order Ticket or the Basic Entry where there is plenty of real estate, it would be nice to have a validation label visible telling the user why the platform changed her QUD input of 0 to 1, or why StopLimit out-of-the-money is invalid and will be rejected. Since it is a worksheet-like logic it is much nicer to get the validation feedback right at the time of the bad or questionable input rather than waiting for an after-the-fact confirmation. Even worse is the fait accompli rejection after the order was already improperly submitted. The worst is to let the order reach the broker or the exchange.

I don't use these order entry windows but I noticed that throughout the platform there is very little use of validation messages and they can be much more intuitive and feedback timely.

The levels of these messages can be tailored as:
    verbose for newbies;
    concise for intermediate users;
    none for expert users
    Or, as is already the culture of NinjaTrader, just let the user mix and match!

Thanks

xcondor, can you clarify how this post is different from what you've already suggested in these two locations?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
      xcondor, can you clarify how this post is different from what you've already suggested in these two locations?

https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...186#post538186
      This thread is about validation feedback in general which occurs very early right at the time of each input of multi-control worksheet-like form-like windows like the Order Ticket and Basic Entry windows. The SuperDOM has some buttons too but most of the activity is in the single-click Buy and Sell columns. In those columns validation would not help as there is no real estate where to stuff a visibility toggling label, it would be distracting, and there is no time for the label to precede the submission which is not even one full click but hooked into just a mouse-down event.

So the SuperDOM problem needs "AUTO-CORRECTION" as suggested in that thread. Those are just different posts in that same "AUTO-CORRECTION" thread which started originally for help how to cancel an order in a NinjaTrader add-on I was coding to fix what I view a serious deficiency in the platform — the lack of ability to auto correct. From there it evolved into an entire discussion about SFT-535 but some other suggestions spawned from there.

The importance of AUTO-CORRECTION(if that is what SFT-535 is about) is so high, I did not want to dilute the AUTO-CORRECTION discussion with other barely tangentially related suggestions for validation in windows I almost never use, like the Order Ticket and Basic Entry. Sure, these windows could use some validation logic to prevent the user from entering bad orders. But these two windows ARE NOT single-click order entry windows. And even if I used them, I would not need the validation anyway. That is why I suggested here THREE levels/modes hand-holding validation messages and tooltips:
      Mode 1 -- for newbies, verbose detailed explanations ;
      Mode 2 -- for intermediate users, still some messages but very concise;
      Mode 3 -- for expert users, no messages at all;

There are many ANALYTICAL interfaces in the platform like Charts, Strategy Analyzer, Trade Performance, reporting tables in tabs in the CC, etc. The user is relaxed and has time when working with those interfaces. They need all the bells and whistles. The more the better.

The SuperDOM is a battle weapon and needs to be STRIPPED of all unnecessay baggage just like a Kalashnikov engineered 60 years ago can take mud and all sorts of abuse and still keep on ticking and be reliable to save your life in battle. So every distracting label, message or popups that get in the way must be removed. This is what I meant for the expert mode.

I am working on a prototype which has a lot more functionality yet simpler to use. This is why I have been asking pretty often about how to get at different elements in the SuperDOM to tweak them. When I am done I will post it as a fully functional demo. By that point I would not care if it is implemented or not. I could just use it as my own addon. If others like it they can use it. I would not care to make money from it.

Thanks

Comment

I am still not understanding how this is different from your request in this post:

I forwarded your post along with a summary of "The user would like extremely customizable settings for when order confirmation windows should appear instead of one global option."

I suppose one thing I didn't consider in that feature request is having the platform choose when an order is a good idea or not. At that point, we're toeing the line of trading advice (which would be very illegal for the platform to provide),

However, off the top of my head I know that Chart Trader prevents you from submitting a buy limit order on the 'wrong side' of the market, so why couldn't other order entry windows provide the same? This is what I'll be forwarding to the Development Team along with the entire text you've provided.

I'll update this post when I receive a tracking number. EDIT - the tracking number is SFT-3153
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 04-11-2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

I am still not understanding how this is different from your request in this post:

Here is a video about basic validation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmfJ...nnel=ITFreedom

It does not matter that it is in asp.net.

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/asp.n...validators.htm

Telerik UI and RAD controls have very nice validation, much superior to Infragistics.

https://docs.telerik.com/devtools/wp...ata-validation

https://docs.telerik.com/devtools/as...res/validation

I hope these clear up for you what data validation means. Not one of these is using modal Alerts/MessageBoxes etc. The validation messages are right on the window/form/page itself. These guys have spent a lot of time thinking about these things

I forwarded your post along with a summary of "The user would like extremely customizable settings for when order confirmation windows should appear instead of one global option."
          I hope you forwarded 538186 with that summary. I worked hard to keep these three requests separate. They are completely different in nature.

I suppose one thing I didn't consider in that feature request is having the platform choose when an order is a good idea or not. At that point, we're toeing the line of trading advice (which would be very illegal for the platform to provide),
          I appreciate the concern and prompt response. I wish you had posted this observation in my auto-correction thread 538082 I am working so hard to keep them separate. I think the reason this has not been implemented is exactly because of confusion and misunderstanding. So please see my answer here.https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...082#post538082

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by timmbbo, 07-05-2023, 10:21 PM
          4 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
          Started by tkaboris, Today, 08:01 AM
          1 response
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby