Seeing a 5 min candle on top of range bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeing a 5 min candle on top of range bars

Hi, I need some help. On a NT webinar the NT presenter showed us how to have, for example a 5 min candle chart showing a higher timeframe (say 15 min for example) on the same chart using box candles.

So every 3 x 5 mins group of candles would be completely encased in a 15 min box candle. This was a great way to see the 15min candlestick action on the 5 min chart. So far so good.

But......can I mix the chart types, for example, could I have the main 5 range candlestick chart with say a 1 hr box chart encasing all my 5 range candles every hour?

I hope this makes sense as I found it difficult to convey in words........sorry;-)

Hello silverpuma,

Thank you for your post.

Mixing chart types such as the 5 Range Bar & 60 Minute bar could lead to something of a “conflict” since you would be trying to combine a time-dependent data bar with one that is not time-dependant (i.e. tick-based). The result would be a less “linear” correlation. But perhaps it is just a matter of preference in how you were looking view the data.

See the attached screenshots that show an example of this:
    • Chart is 5 Range candle within a 60 Minute Box style
    • Chart is a 5 minute candle within a 60 Minute Box style
    Attached Files
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Chip for the info and the screenshots. This is exactly what I'm after . But....I have lost the webinar where I saw how to do this. Is there a video or text help that could show me the steps I need to make to achieve what you have done in your images. Thanks again......

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Chip View Post
      Hello silverpuma,

Thank you for your post.

Mixing chart types such as the 5 Range Bar & 60 Minute bar could lead to something of a “conflict” since you would be trying to combine a time-dependent data bar with one that is not time-dependant (i.e. tick-based). The result would be a less “linear” correlation. But perhaps it is just a matter of preference in how you were looking view the data.

See the attached screenshots that show an example of this:
      • Chart is 5 Range candle within a 60 Minute Box style
      • Chart is a 5 minute candle within a 60 Minute Box style

Comment

Hello silverpuma

Here are the steps that can get you started. Once you connect to your data provider:
        1. Go to File > New > Chart
        2. Enter your instrument as both the primary & secondary in the Data Series edit dialog
        3. Configure the primary data series to use a 5 minute interval and set the plot style to Box
        4. Configure the secondary to use a 1 minute interval and plot style Candle
        5. After you click the OK button the chart should build
        6. Drag & drop the secondary data series (1 minute candlestick chart) to the primary panel

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Comment

Sorry Chip for being so slow but I cant find how to do point 2 below.......Enter your instrument as both the primary & secondary in the Data Series edit dialog

Can you help? Just wondering I have a live paid for license does this allow me any direct help or just via the forum?

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Chip View Post
          Hello silverpuma

Here are the steps that can get you started. Once you connect to your data provider:
          1. Go to File > New > Chart
          2. Enter your instrument as both the primary & secondary in the Data Series edit dialog
          3. Configure the primary data series to use a 5 minute interval and set the plot style to Box
          4. Configure the secondary to use a 1 minute interval and plot style Candle
          5. After you click the OK button the chart should build
          6. Drag & drop the secondary data series (1 minute candlestick chart) to the primary panel

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Comment

In the screenshot – the 5 min ES is the primary & the 1 minute is the secondary. You will plot both to the same chart.
            Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by BarzTrading, Today, 07:25 AM
            2 responses
            1 like
            Last Post BarzTrading  
            Started by devatechnologies, 04-14-2024, 02:58 PM
            3 responses