Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Missing Indicator when I start up an NT7 workbook(?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing Indicator when I start up an NT7 workbook(?)

Hi - I'm implementing an NT7 to Excel connection, under Win7Pro, as described in the following thread:

Got it to work somewhat, but am having a puzzling problem. I saved the code as an indicator in several charts, then saved the workbook config file. However, when I start up NT and crank up the workbook, the indicator is completely missing from the charts where I installed it. If I open up a chart and check for Indicators, the other stuff I previously had(some SMA Moving Averages) is there, but nothing else.

I checked inside the workbook and there -are- references to it, which is what I'd expect.

If I manually add the Indicator to a chart, it gets picked up and invoked, so I know the code can work under some circumstances.

So, any ideas on why I can add the indicator to a chart, save the workbook, but it is nowhere to be found when I crank up NT?

Only thing I've been wondering about is whether to somehow install this as a Strategy vs. Indicator. The download I did from the above thread had it all wrapped up as an Indicator in the zip file, which is why I installed it as Indicator code.

Hello,

Thank you for the post.

This sounds like the indicator is failing to save or load, depending on when it's actually removed.

Could you try manually saving the workspace and then check the Log tab in the Control Center to see if any errors are being reported? You can also do the same after loading the workspace. if either of these cases reports an error that would provide some detail on whats happening.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ok, got some log entry info:

3/28/2018 21:02:46,Default,Failed to restore indicator 'NinjaTrader.Indicator.BigMikeExcel'.

Most likely (a) the implementation changed or (b) one or more properties have been renamed or removed or (c) the custom assembly which implements this indicator no longer is there.,

Any ideas what the above means? The BigMike indicator sends some Moving Average info I collect over to Excel and that's about it.

And, as mentioned above, if I manually add the indicator to an existing chart, it works.

Only unusual thing is that when the indicator starts up, it takes a very long time to load data, connect to Excel and show some data in an Excel cell. I can see the "Loading data..." messages at the bottom of the Ninja control panel. If firing up a chart, the messages show very briefly, then the chart lights up and is done. Just a matter of a few seconds. However, when the indicator starts up, I see repeated Loading data messages for several minutes. Then, Excel lights up and a few MINUTES later, the chart fires up, too. Total time for the indicator to finish initializing is 4-5 minutes.

I can greatly shorten the loading data times by specifying a shorter number of days worth of data to load. Problem is, I'm using some very long MovAves, so I need to load around 500 days worth of data into a 1 minute chart.

Also adding to the mess is that I'm figuring MovAves for multiple timeframes inside the code, which runs in a 1m chart. I got that code setup correctly, but it's still a lot of stuff to calculate. Once it's running live, it works fine and uses little cpu. The holdup seems to be during the initialization process only.

???

Still testing this thing, trying to get Ninja data to Excel in a usable manner...

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for checking that this helps.

In this case, it seems the item is unable to reload, this is likely due to the structure of the script and its properties. I dont believe this would be because of the days to load but should instead be something surrounding how it was programmed. Without seeing the code it would be really difficult to say what exactly is causing that error.

This could also be related to a template, you also may try to remove any templates for this item. (Documents\NinjaTrader 7\templates\Indicator)

Otherwise, what I could suggest would be the following:
        1. Make a duplicate of the script as it is now
        2. Remove all the business logic from the script just leaving the structure, the overrides and your public properties etc..
        3. Remove all instances that were applied to charts and apply the duplicate and retest the situation.

This first test would confirm if some logic is at fault, I would guess not but its possible.

After that, if the error is still present I would likely suggest removing the public properties one at a time recompile and retest. If a public property is at fault, you would reach a point where the error goes away after one or more of the properties are removed. If you are unsure of the process I have described please let me know and I can detail this further.

Once you have a general idea of the syntax involved in causing the error if it is not apparent what the problem is I could further review that sample if you would like to provide it.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
        JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Got it running. In the test charts with the new excel indicator, I also had some moving average indicators listed. I deleted all of those, so that excel was the only indicator listed and it loaded correctly.

Shortened loading time for the excel indicator, too, altho it still takes longer than I think it probably should, but for now, it's workable.

I should be migrating to NT8 in coming months. I'll see if I can get this working there and if so, whether the load times improve.

Thanks for your help w/log files.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by hurleydood, 09-12-2019, 10:45 AM
          14 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Board game geek  
          Started by cre8able, Yesterday, 04:16 PM
          1 response
          0 likes