Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exchange time vs local time

Hi,
    I would very much rather see chart reflect exchange time than local system time. Why? Well when one is trading US & European markets, plus all the intricacies of daylight savings, it becomes a total bore to the user to keep track of all the changes and effect it has to one's trading.
    Instead, why not introduce NT to the novel idea of charting using Exchange time. NT already knows what instrument belongs to what market, it also has the <use local session> feature, so why not time stamp the chart accordingly to the market time.
    I am aware of other less advanced platforms able to do just this. Surely NT ought to do it for the sake of all traders, trading more than a single market.

K

Hello,

Thanks for the forum post.

NinjaTrader always uses local time and is what we use as traders. If you trade multiple markets you need to have a way to have all times equal the same time and this is possible with native time stamp. This is not possible with exchange time stamp as such we use local time stamp. So that all charts will have the same time stamp based on when they occurred in your local time. NinjaTrader is fully built around using local time stamps.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Hi Brett,
      Well how about offering the user the option to choose between exchange and local time. From your statement below, are you implying it is a hard task to impose this change to NT?

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
      Hello,

NinjaTrader is fully built around using local time stamps.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Hello kashter,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I've forwarded this enhancement request on to development who has assigned it number 41 in our internal tracking system.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide your feedback!
        KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

#1:
          Is request 41 also looking into strategy backtesting?

There are issues caused by DST in strategies performance tabs (Period tab - hour and 1/2 hour)

Example: The first 1/2 hour of a market opening ES RTH trade shows up as 6:30a or 7:30a, depending on the time of year, basically rendering it useless for its intent, which is to find trade performance by time.

This also causes a problem by day of the week. For example, depending on the time of year, some trades will be on Monday, while others on Tuesday, leading to the next item.

#2:
          Not sure if this should be a separate thread, but performance results should be displayable based upon market time and date, ..... i.e. session.

Example: Performance reports for ES show trades for Sunday, which is actually Monday's session.

#3:
          Kudos to all the NinjaTrader customer support folks. As a new user, this forum, and especially your responses on this forum have been a tremendous help and has cut down on the learning curve
          Last edited by dojidubbs; 08-28-2011, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Still no reply, bumping as suggested by support, thread might of been missed in the system

Comment

Hi dojidubbs,

Thanks for replying to this thread - it seems the last update didn't reopen the case for some reason.

I will forward the items from #1 and #2 on to development to add to the '41' request. Thanks for this feedback.

Again, thanks for replying to re-open the case as well. (this helps to keep case history in one place, which as you'd imagine is quite valuable)

If I can further assist, or if anything else comes up, let me know.
              KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by elirion, Today, 01:36 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post elirion
              by elirion

Started by gentlebenthebear, Today, 01:30 AM
              0 responses