Windows 10, 'Task View', and Multiple Desktops and Monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10, 'Task View', and Multiple Desktops and Monitors

I'm wanting to see if I can get more flexibility and real estate when using multiple computer monitors with NinjaTrader, and also using Windows 10 'Task View', which allows you to create multiple desktops on your computer, and to switch between them.

So first of all, is NinjaTrader 7 compatible with Windows 10? Any issues reported?

Second, does anyone have experience with using the Windows 10 'Task View' to be able to create multiple desktops and hopefully to be able to put multiple NinjaTrader charts on them, while using multiple computer monitors?

Hello,

NinjaTrader 7 is not officially supported with Windows 10 however we have done basic testing of NinjaTrader 7 with Windows 10 and have not found any issues specific to Windows 10 at this time.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with and have not tested using "Task View" however would appreciate any feedback you may have or information about any issues you experience while using this feature.
    Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for your reply. I do have Windows 10 on my laptop and have used NinjaTrader 7 on it a few times, without problem, so far.

But I am not sure if the Windows 10 'Task View', would enhance using multiple monitors or not.

If anyone else has experience with this, please reply here.

Thanks,

Comment

Hello.
        I need now to use some Virtual Desktops in Windows 10.
        And I have a problem.
        I made another desktop (via Task View), put there some NT7 windows (charts) on Desktop2, save workspace, restart NT7 - and all windows appeared on Desktop1.

Does NT7 workspace file format provide desktop info for each window?
        If "yes" - can I edit it manually?
        Or, is there some another way to restore all NT7 windows on different virtual desktops?
        fx.practic
        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - fx.practic

Comment

I am a professional trader running 6 monitors with NT 7 or 8 on Win 7 Pro. Try Display Fusion.

Comment

Multiple monitors

I now am using four computer monitors and three main workspaces in Ninjatrader 7.

When I use my first workspace, the charts I have saved show up on each of my four monitors the same way every time.

Same when I use the second workspace, the charts remain as I saved them.

And the same goes for when I use my third workspace.

No special software used. But maybe you would get more functionality with a software program. Not sure, I have never used software for my multiple monitors or workspaces.
            Last edited by i2w8am9ii2; 11-06-2016, 12:29 AM.

Comment

FX is wanting virtual desktops to work.

A virtual desktop is desktop that is simply swapped out by some program for another one.

HP had a program in 1996 that allowed 3 you to switch to 3 different desktop screens on 1 monitor in Windows 3.11 if I remember correctly.

Comment

spooz2: Thanks for advice. As for as I sow, DisplayFusion has extremely functionality. I'll check it for sure. And, of course, first of all I want to check standard system features.

i2w8am9ii2: Right, may be, Shift+F3 is simplest way. And most reliable.

sledge: 95, 2000, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1... What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. We lost 3.11...

Thanks a lot for for answers.
                Last edited by fx.practic; 11-07-2016, 07:01 AM.
                fx.practic
                NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - fx.practic

Comment

Hello everyone,

I use Windows 10 with Task View extensively. I use Linux natively (xfce4 window manager) and, prior to Windows 10, used non-native programs for multiple desktop support when on a Windows machine, and so this was a welcome addition for me. I will be happy to answer any questions related to NinjaTrader and TaskView within the scope of describing Ninja's functionality and reporting any potential bugs.

NinjaTrader 7 was designed before Windows 10, and for this reason its compatibility with TaskView can not be guaranteed. NinjaTrader 7 is no longer in active development, except for bug fixes and minor performance enhancements. This said, beyond initial load I have been able to use NinjaTrader 7 with Task View. Some dialogs, such as the Indicator properties screen in ChartTrader, stay attached to other windows when moving them between desktops. If this is not your experience, please let us know so we may attempt a work-around.

If you plan on using Windows 10 and above, with Task View, I would like to recommend upgrading to NinjaTrader 8.
                  Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the info Jessica,

I use multiple monitors (4 of them) for some time now and so have not been using Task View for trading any more, as the multiple monitors setup is plenty for what I need.

If there is something you can do with Task View that might enhance a multiple monitor setup, please let me know here.

Thanks,

Comment

While the pros and cons of multiple desktops is beyond the scope of the support we can provide, as it does not describe the operation of NinjaTrader, should any questions come up with regard to Ninja relating to TaskView, or if there are any other Ninja questions we may answer, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Comment

Hello Jessica,
                        I sent a Support request re: 8 and response was 'known issues/8 not supported' & pointed me here.
                        Perhaps you could access my Support ticket and provide any insight you may have which may help me, as it seems you have specific knowledge of this field which you have offered to share (I don't believe I can access my ticket contents because I sent via Help, but can define again here if required)
                        ). Thanks

Comment

Hello Bruce,

I see that you are responding to an older thread made December 2016. It will help our staff better track incoming requests if we create new threads, even if what you are experiencing matches an existing issue. Linking in the old thread in your post will help us as well.

I also see that you are working with some of our support staff regarding this ticket. I'd like to agree with my colleague. While NinjaTrader 8 was designed to work with Windows 10, the enhanced (over NinjaTrader 7) features we support are covered here,

We are constantly improving the way Ninja operates, including the way it operates with virtual desktops, but any changes to the way Ninja operates that are not included in the above document need to be prioritized based on customer demand.

All the above said, I have been able to make a case to treat this as a bug report (tracking ID NTEIGHT-12529). While I agree with my colleague as far as this not necessarily being a feature we support, I agree as well with your point. We do show a taskbar button on every desktop, and a copy of the chart when you hover over this taskbar button, making this a halfway supported feature.

I need to be clear here that the behavior being reported is a taskbar button and preview window showing up with no window when we click on it. There are several ways to resolve this situation so that Ninja behaves in a consistent, predictable way.

When we change Ninja's behavior, we document these changes in the Release Notes page, which you can find here.

Please follow up with my colleague through our e-mail support system with any feedback once a future version of NinjaTrader has been released which acts upon the behavior I have reported here. A member of our support team will be happy to assist you either through our e-mail support system or right here on the forums. And thank you again for using NinjaTrader.
                          Last edited by NinjaTrader_JessicaP; 02-26-2018, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Following up on my earlier reply, it turns out Ninja already supports this feature. Please follow these steps.

1. ) Hold down the Windows key and Tab at the same time
                            2. ) You will see 2 windows for every one of your charts. One of these will have a label, and the one immediately to the right will have no label. Right-click both of these and select "Show this window on all desktops"

NinjaTrader uses 2 windows per chart for performance reasons, even though only one is visible to a user at any time. Both these windows need to be configured independently.

Please let us know if there are any other ways we can help.
                            Last edited by NinjaTrader_JessicaP; 02-26-2018, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Hello Jessica and thanks.
                              Marvellous. I didn't think we were 'on the same page' from your initial response and had lost the will.
                              I've tested, and that works. Frustrating and unexpected behaviour but hey I'll take it, thanks for pursuing further and coming back to me.

FYI in case it may add to your KB - the reason for exploring virtual desktops rather than running more than one workspace is - a) I can't copy from within workspace to workspace and b) actions cannot be 'global' throughout workspaces, unless I'm missing something. For instance: with Drawing Objects I use Attach To: All Charts (A great introduction, a major timesaver). I cannot do that globally across Workspaces. With one Workspace open in multiple virtual desktops in this manner, I can.
                              Etc
                              Kind regards

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post algospoke  
                              Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                              3 responses