Cross hair lagging when moving within charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cross hair lagging when moving within charts

Hi, I am concerned after migrating to NT8 and trading with it for two days. I trade from the charts. I have a powerful four months old computer with multiple cores and threads and lots of fast memory. I was excited about migrating to NT8 thinking it would be a faster trading platform than NT7 when running on a multi core computer. So far I am experiencing the opposite. The cross hair is lagging severly in ny NT8 charts. It is to the point that I am having problems getting into the market at the right moment when the market is fast. Is there anything I can do to improve the performance of NT8? I really like some of the new features such as the ability to link an order to an indicator and the ability to use MIT orders. Unfortunately I will have to go back to using NT7 if there is no way of getting rid of the lag.

Thanks for posting.

Can you let me know what CPU, graphics card and memory you have on your PC? The crosshair in NT8 is influenced by the strength of the graphics card which is why I ask.

Can you also provide a screenshot of your chart setup so I could see what kinda of setup you are on? To confirm this is the regular crosshair and not the global crosshair correct?

Finally -> Can you please right click on the chart and select properties and then in the Crosshair property expand that and enable the 'Draw cursor only' mode. Do you see any difference in performance?

-Brett

Comment

Slow Redraw Of Crosshair Cursor in NT8

Good day,

I am having the same problem. I have read numerous posts on the forum about this issue but I haven't come across a solution yet?

I have a laptop that does not have a discrete video card as I understand laptops don't generally come with a separate GPU like desktops do?

I have the following setup:

Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4710MQ (2.50GHz)

16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 8GB)

AMD® Radeon® R9 M290X - 4GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

My knowledge of computers is intermediate to advanced but my understanding of the intrinsic details of GPUs is very limited. I don't do intense video editing, use CAD or play games so I thought the AMD Radeon GPU would be more than enough!

I assumed my setup would be able to handle a simple task of the cross hair operation? Although I have read other posts that say it is not as simple as that?

I have 2 additional monitors (HANNS.G - HX193) added to my laptop which run at 1280 x 1024. My laptop display runs at 1920 X 1080

My on-board GPU is Intel HD Graphics 4600 which is set to Maximum Performance

For my AMD® Radeon® R9 M290X, I have set Ninjatrader 8 application under "Switchable Graphics Application Settings" to "High Performance"

This seems to have helped but still not good enough for global crosshair use which I use a lot.

Is there a fix on your side or do the many uses experiencing this issue need to upgrade their GPU's?

Appreciate your assistance

Comment

Which laptop GPU is recommended for a laptop

Following on from my previous post, what would you suggest the minimum spec should be for a laptop GPU that would ''cope'' with ninjatrader 8 without any issues?

Comment

This may be of help....

This is the link to AMD site showing the technical specs of my AMD_Radeon_HD_8970M_GPU.

Get the competitive edge for AI, data center, business computing solutions & gaming with AMD processors, graphics, FPGAs, Adaptive SOCs, & software.

and

my specific model:

Get the competitive edge for AI, data center, business computing solutions & gaming with AMD processors, graphics, FPGAs, Adaptive SOCs, & software.

Comment

TraderYoda,

Before I get to your other questions really quick: You mention your using the global crosshair. Can you please try turning that off on all charts and then turning on local crosshair on a single chart.

Is that local crosshair on single chart OK?

If not and you go into the Draw Crosshair only property I mention in post 2 does it get any better with that?

If it does then finally switch to this crosshair mode with your global crosshair? Problem or no problem?

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Brett,

I turned off global crosshair on all charts and turned on local crosshair on a single chart.The crosshair then performed as normal (like NT7)

I then turned on global crosshair on 6 charts and turned on local crosshair on the 7th chart - the local crosshair did not lag

Comment

Alright so we're talking global crosshair here. Can you please contact me at platformsupport at ninjatrader dot com ATTN: Brett and attach your workspace you experience this on. I'd like to test on my side to see if it really is expected what your seeing or not and if performance is good on my side then we will go from there and compare video cards, etc.

The workspace is located in My Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > workspaces -> name.xml

-Brett

Comment

The global crosshair appears to be very GPU-intensive

Drawing the crosshair appears to require a lot of GPU power, scaling with the resolution of the charts you have open.

I had a pretty good graphics card in my last machine - a desktop AMD Radeon 290X - and NT8's cursor lag still bothered me when using a pair of full-screen size charts on two 2560x1600 monitors.

My new rig has a Titan X Pascal in it - currently the most powerful consumer-grade graphics card you can buy - and while you can tell there is still a very slight amount of lag, it's generally unnoticeable unless you are looking for it with the above-mentioned monitor configuration.

So that seems to indicate it either just requires a lot of raw GPU horsepower to render the global crosshair at high resolutions, or it's a problem with AMD cards specifically.

Comment

Problem with local cross hair

My problem is with the local cross hair. The severe lagging problem seems to be connected with another problem that I am experiencing. NT8 seems to grabbing all the RAM on my computer. I have 16 GBs of RAM. When I launch NT8 it uses around 3 GBs and there are no problems with lagging cross hairs in the graphs. After five hours of trading NT8 is using 9GBs of RAM and the graphs are lagging severely. I sometimes get an error message from Windows urging me to Close NT8 to avoid "loss of information". Error message or not, if I restart NT8, it is back to using 3GBs and the lagging issues are gone. I am running a four screen set up. My graphs are all time based and I am not using volume profile or any other resouce demanding graphs . I have been running this set up on NT7 with a much less powerful computer for years.

Actually when thinking about it, it seems that the problem occurs only if I load new data. If I just start NT8 and do nothing other than let it run this RAM issue does not seem to occur. Just launching a simple 5 min graph with 50 days of data sets the ball in motion...

Is there a way of fixing this RAM issue?

Comment

Solved it! My RAM eating issue was not NT8 related. It is an issue with the Killer Networking Suite in Windows 10. It leaks RAM. By unnistalling the Killer Networking Suite and only reinstalling the actual drivers for the Ethernet card the memory leak stops. No more lagging of the cross hair in NT8 graphs and a much better all around functiong computer. I highly recommend anyone with a Killer ethernet card on their computer motherboard to do the same thing...

Comment

The global crosshairs have always been slow. I have no idea why it's hard to render synchronized horizontal lines but apparently it is. I have a 4.5ghz liquid cooled computer with a GTX 1070 and just two charts (with one on an ultrawide) will start looking like it's rendering at ~20fps (on the ultrawide in particular) when I move the cursor.

What's the deal? My main display is 120hz, I wonder if there's a 60hz + 120hz sync issue.

Comment

Originally posted by jcrza View Post
                          The global crosshairs have always been slow. I have no idea why it's hard to render synchronized horizontal lines but apparently it is. I have a 4.5ghz liquid cooled computer with a GTX 1070 and just two charts (with one on an ultrawide) will start looking like it's rendering at ~20fps (on the ultrawide in particular) when I move the cursor.

What's the deal? My main display is 120hz, I wonder if there's a 60hz + 120hz sync issue.
                          Don't got MAX on the ultrawide.. smaller charts run faster and more normal.

Comment

jcrza,

- How many charts with global crosshair?
                            - How many monitors do you have?
                            - What resolution are your monitors?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
                              jcrza,

- How many charts with global crosshair?
                              - How many monitors do you have?
                              - What resolution are your monitors?
                              - 4, one on each screen
                              - 1920x1080 x 3 and one 2560x1080

If you guys try to tell me again that my computer is not sufficient to draw four charts at once I'm going to scream. I can play battlefield 1 at 120fps while watching Netflix and watching a local network feed of my security cameras without a dropped frame. That's way, way, way more intense of a workload than synchronizing horizontal lines on 4 charts.

There is no excuses for hardware accelerated charting to be lagging like this. It's a bug, or a really big flaw/bottleneck in the hardware acceleration NT8 uses.

EDIT: It's worth noting that I have many more charts opened on those screens but they're in the same window and in a different tab so I assume nt8 is not drawing them even if it's adding data to the series in the background. I hope that doesn't cause lag either.. it shouldn't.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                              171 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post QuantKey_Bruce  
                              Started by Irukandji, Yesterday, 02:53 AM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Irukandji