Collapse

Cross hair lagging when moving within charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldn't dare tell you your PC is insufficient since from the sounds of it is admittedly quite a machine. What I will say is that we have been collecting reports of crosshair drawing performance and starting to see a few reported cases now where full screen or large resolution monitors with full charts and crosshairs applied report degraded performance even despite the crosshair optimizations we have deployed in 8.0.2.0. We've been collecting information on PC specs so that we could make an informed decision as to next steps to research improving crosshair performance. This is an area we have on our list to review as soon as we get through a few more standard releases and get through the release items we have on our backlog.

Comment

That is music to my ears. Looking forward to it. You guys also fixed the annoying daily chart crash bug that was killing me, so way to go on that. If you guys can fix this crosshair thing and implement server side bracket orders (sending the stop and limit with the entry order, server side) then NT8 will be perfect for me and a lot of the futures traders I know who are currently not on NT8 because of the bracket order thing.

Comment

slow cursor and crosshairs

Hello does this also apply to charttrader and bracket orders - please point if already a thread on this. I am stunned this is still an issue trying to trade with chart trader and adjust the stop and limits and is almost unworkable ??? With all the spec differences and gpu differences this appear to be a distraction from the fundamental underlying issue. Why is this taking so long to be addressed ? Chart trader is key part of trading on ninja. Please update on this aspect
        thanks

Comment

Just to clarify, your reporting that as you enable crosshairs it becomes hard to interact with the chart and use Chart Trader. As you disable crosshairs working with the chart trader is fine. Is this correct?

If the above statement is correct please see my post #16 for details on current status. Additionally if you don't mind what video card, CPU and RAM do you have and is this a full screen chart. If so what resolution is your monitor? and if this is global crosshairs how many charts do you have global crosshairs enabled on? Appreciate the data if your willing share, since its helping me put together data on this.

Additionally your not using a VM, remote desktop, or running windows on a mac correct?
          Last edited by NinjaTrader_Brett; 01-17-2017, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Hello yes was initially trying to interact with chart and use chart trader - selection of stop and limit was not easy at all - i turned crosshairs off on chart completely and became a little easier but not by much.
            I do not use global cross hairs having been aware of the pending issues.
            Memory is 8GB the machine is intel i7-3632 2.2ghz up to 2.9 or so and the card is AMD Radeon HD 7560
            The laptop main screen is 1920x1080 and the connected hdmi screen is also 1920x1080. I did have the tabbed chart on the second screen which has about 17 tabs and no other ninja window and tried putting ninja 8 on the main screen

Are you expecting issues with chart trader interaction even with cross hairs turned off .. in turning them off it then is not easy to align where entry would/should be in analysis!

in trying to migrate to enter orders from n7 to n8 it has migrated one performance issue n7 being predominantly single threaded and slow chart update in volatile markets (a known issue in n7 and why many chose to not execute on n7) to n8 which is multithreaded but then the execution is impaired due to cross hair and lagging cursor and chart trader issues?

what do you advise and what realistic plans are afoot to remedy and address this (in my opinion) a serious issue for live trading?

do you need any more stats?

would i be better having the execution window in separate window rather than tabbed?

thanks

Comment

Not sure you case is specific to the below since if by turning crosshair off and you still have an issue working with the chart that would be something different. I would recommend you contact us at platformsupport at ninjatrader dot com so that we could look at traces and get a sense of what specifically isn't working with the chart with crosshairs off and working with chart trader. Please reference this post and we will provide follow up for next steps. We likely will try to get trace and log files plus get a copy of your workspace to test on our side.

-Brett

Comment

Hello i dont understand or see how this will help. I did not say there was a crash or log error - it is a PERFORMANCE issue ... chart trader works VERY SLOWLY with cross hairs and in general. Trace files and log files are of no use in this instance and would not contain anything - selecting the stop or limit and trying to move was cumbersome and lagging. Please clarify your response. Also sending workspace with custom indicators would not be easy - as with many postings rendering of this and chart performance of scrolling cross hairs etc is poor - this is very apparent.

Comment

The reason why is that I don't think your case is related to lagging crosshairs. I want to look at your traces and see how many custom third party indicators you're running along with other key stats we trace. We then will work to isolate what about the workspace is causing the performance problem. This is the process of elimination we use to diagnose general performance issues which needs to be done in your case due to the information you provided and why I recommended to work with you directly. This thread has to do with the scenario of: NT is performant and all is great, however when I enable crosshair the crosshair lags and is slow to update behind the crosshair. The two cases are separate, the former representing general performance problems, the later representing the high minimum PC requirements of our crosshair implementation which is something I'm aware of and we have on our list to review an alternative implementation in the future. Since the current implementation does not perform well in certain scenarios even with decent video card hardware. I'm building a baseline of what that is as well as we speak so we could use that as a benchmark for future development work in that area.

Comment

Before i retype my reply again and lose it - can you ensure the request i made to extend the timeout time for typing in a reply was actioned. I requested this several months ago as when typing in a longer reply the time allowed before it would not submit and i lost all the text - this is not a helpful feature. Can you inform me what this timeout time actually is at this time
                    thanks

Comment

Back to original reply. I dont follow your logic below regarding the lag in chart trader lines/labels not being affected or related. When cross hairs is disabled i can more easily work with charttrader lines albeit with some lag but when cross hairs (local only is what i use) is enabled to even select the label to move target and stop lines is not easy and i would not want to use in production in its current state.

If you mean the chart trader calls are logged in the trace/log files when i try to interact and move them and this may reveal some insight as to performance issues then i see your point.

Given that MOST users of ninja use some custom indicators this fall back to blame the custom indicator each time to solve a problem is quite apparent in the methodology of ninja now.
                      I have used and tested most of N8 custom indicators i have developed for over 6 months now over time and have needed to revise along the way. There is nothing i can see in my own indicators that would interact or affect the chart trader other than some run on every tick - yes that can impact overall performance but i have been selective on which ones to do so. If chart trader is very tick and cpu intensive on top of a tick chart that has indicators that run on every tick then i need to determine if that is the case. With all the logging in trace files i notice as lines are moved surely this affects performance or is this in a separate worker thread dedicated to this?

I am working today on reducing the number of tabs from 17 to 7 and perhaps put the execution chart into its own window to see if that makes any difference.
                      The current inability to work with cross hairs and chart trader in 8.0.3 is dissappointing to say the least and depending on the next few days activities and results i may revert back to N7 - not ideal but i would say necessary if i do not see any performance improvement
                      thanks

Comment

Hello,

- We need to do general performance analysis and work with you directly, there is a process of elimination we do to identify a performance bottleneck.
                        - That process could yield any result and will help us narrow down on the true problem. Which could be NinjaTrader, third party, or OS/hardware related.
                        - This would be the next step for your case.
                        - Email us at platformsupport at ninjatrader dot com when you had some time to work through that and we will request files + work with you to do process of elimination to identify the performance issue.

As to your question on the forum, we use standard settings and a third party message board, would not want to go in and change anything at this time, nor could I comment on any defaults.

Comment

Hi

I too am having an issue too with my cross hair lagging. In this case I'm referring to the local crosshair.

I have 2 monitors - a 27" set at a 2560 x 1440 resolution and a 30" set at a 2560 x 1600 resolution.

On my 27" it is not too bad but on the 30" it is horrible - pretty much unusable.

Comparing the Ninja crosshair to the Multicharts crosshair is like night and day. The Multicharts crosshair has ZERO lag on both monitors. It is absolutely crisp and flawless.

The Ninja one has a little bit of lag on the 27" and YUGE lag on the 30" so I don't think it's an issue with my hardware.

I'm guessing one of the reasons for this lag may be due to Ninja's tendency to use way more RAM than most other charting platforms. If I open 2 simple charts in NT, I end up using 350MB RAM compared to 70MB for the same charts in Multicharts or Sierra Charts. I have no idea why NT uses so much RAM compared to these other platforms.

See image - same MSFT chart open yet look at the difference in RAM.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Fixed lagging global crosshair

Originally posted by TraderYoda View Post
                            Good day,

I am having the same problem. I have read numerous posts on the forum about this issue but I haven't come across a solution yet?

I have a laptop that does not have a discrete video card as I understand laptops don't generally come with a separate GPU like desktops do?

I have the following setup:

Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4710MQ (2.50GHz)

16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 8GB)

AMD® Radeon® R9 M290X - 4GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

My knowledge of computers is intermediate to advanced but my understanding of the intrinsic details of GPUs is very limited. I don't do intense video editing, use CAD or play games so I thought the AMD Radeon GPU would be more than enough!

I assumed my setup would be able to handle a simple task of the cross hair operation? Although I have read other posts that say it is not as simple as that?

I have 2 additional monitors (HANNS.G - HX193) added to my laptop which run at 1280 x 1024. My laptop display runs at 1920 X 1080

My on-board GPU is Intel HD Graphics 4600 which is set to Maximum Performance

For my AMD® Radeon® R9 M290X, I have set Ninjatrader 8 application under "Switchable Graphics Application Settings" to "High Performance"

This seems to have helped but still not good enough for global crosshair use which I use a lot.

Is there a fix on your side or do the many uses experiencing this issue need to upgrade their GPU's?

Appreciate your assistance

Hi All,

After reading the numerous ninjatrader forum threads (beta testing threads) relating to this issue, I realised other people with graphics cards more powerful than mine were experiencing the same lag while using global crosshair. This stopped me from forking out the money for a new graphics card. Instead I started reading technical forums about how graphics cards work, especially for laptops.

As i mentioned in my previous post I had already tried setting my AMD "Switchable Graphics Application Settings" to "High Performance" but this did not work. Eventually after watching numerous youtube videos, I found the fix for my problem!

The underlying issue had to do with my laptop power settings in conjunction with my AMD driver settings - both had to be set to "highest performance" as well as the AMD " Graphics Application Settings" to "High Performance" - so that's 3 different settings that needed to be set to "highest performance"

I also set my onboard intel graphics chip (HD 4600) to "highest performance"

My laptop GPU is soldered onto a separate card - mxm module card (https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/1966/radeon-hd-8970m)

This youtube video helped me setup up my laptop power settings and AMD driver settings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnjD80hSQWw

I loaded 6 linked charts with global crosshair on each chart and I had no lag!
                            I then put 10 indicators on each of the 6 linked charts and I still had no lag!!

Obviously there are different underlying causes, but I hope this helps some people

To Ninjatrader Support, just a recommendation, perhaps it may help some people if you familiarize yourself with the NVIDIA and AMD driver settings since NT8 primarily uses the graphics card for it's rendering compared to NT7, at least that's how I understand it now?

Comment

Originally posted by TraderYoda View Post

I loaded 6 linked charts with global crosshair on each chart and I had no lag!
                              I then put 10 indicators on each of the 6 linked charts and I still had no lag!!

?
                              Good suggestions, but please try on a 4k laptop with full screen chart, and then on an external monitor full screen at 3440x1440.

Comment

The issue is more complicated than switching some power options on an integrated GPU. This is a ninjatrader 8 problem, not a GPU horsepower problem.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by kujista, Today, 06:23 AM
                                4 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                                Started by traderqz, Yesterday, 09:06 AM
                                2 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post traderqz