Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 stops responding

Hi NT support.

My brand new NT8 installation is giving me a headache. It suddenly stops responding, and windows 10 displays the message, that NinjaTrader stopped working and will be closed. There is nothing in the NT log file, nor the trace file. However - I have investigated windows log file, and there I can see the different modules that apparently stops working. Top score is ntdll.dll, d2d1.dll and CoreMessaging.dll. During the past two weeks I have tried removing different indicators and assembly one by one, in order to isolate the error, with no luck. Now I just don't know where to look or what to do next. The computer and the installation is brand new - AMD Threadripper 1920X 12 core with 32 G RAM and two GeForce GTX 1060 Graphics Card, so I assume its not a performance issue i'm facing. I have secured the windows log errors and can email it on request along with NT log/trace file.
    Please advise what to do next.

/Torben

Hello caløjn,

Thank you for your note.

Please follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to an email to platformsupport[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com with "ATTN CHRIS S" in the subject line so I may investigate this matter further.

* Open your NinjaTrader folder under Documents.
    * Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    * Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
    * Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.

I look forward to your reply.

Comment

Hello -

I am having the same problems. Crashing with no errors.
      You might want to try to wrap your entire OnBarUpdate() method in a try catch similar to this to find the real error:

try {

.... your code

} catch (Exception e) {
      Print("\nOnBarUpdate ERROR:");
      String error = Time[0] + ": XXX ERROR during OnBarUpdate():\n " + FlattenException(e);
      Print(error);
      Log(error, LogLevel.Error);
      }

NT 8 has missed the mark! Stability and reliability should be priority over the functional features.

Features are useless unless the platform runs properly.

Comment

Hello mmeninger,

Thank you for your note.

I would suggest launching the platform in Safe Mode and working to narrow down the crashes to a particular NinjaScript file you have written then you could take debugging steps to resolve the issue. Otherwise, I would suggest reaching out to the developer of the NinjaScript that causes issues with steps to reproduce the issue on their end so they can work on resolving.

Debugging steps can be found on the following publicly available forum post: https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...ead.php?t=3418

Safe Mode will prevent NinjaTrader from:

Loading workspaces.
        Connecting on start-up.
        Loading custom assemblies.
        Getting instrument updates from the server.
        To enable safe mode, please use the following steps:

Exit NinjaTrader.
        Hold the CONTROL key and double click the NinjaTrader icon.
        Keep the CONTROL key held down until you see the Control Center.
        You can verify you are in safe mode by going to Help -> About.

Our NinjaScript Support team cannot debug or modify user code but we are available to provide educational materials and suggestions.

Please see the following link on understanding the impact of installing Add-Ons: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ty_add-ons.htm

Please also follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to an email to platformsupport[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com with "ATTN CHRIS S" in the subject line so I may investigate this matter further.

* Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.

I look forward to your reply.

Comment

Chris - this just isn't practical to do this type of debugging every few upgrades to a new version. I bought the application so I can trade and create my own algorithms not do testing!

Mark

Comment

Hello mmeninger,

Thank you for your note.

We would like to review the code that is specifically causing the behavior you've been witnessing. Could you please provide a sample code that you have created that is causing this crashing behavior to occur? To export a NinjaScript from NinjaTrader 8, please do the following:

From the Control Center window select Tools -> Export -> NinjaScript...
            Click Add>Select the indicator>OK>Export.
            Then attach that file you saved to an email; under My Docs>NT8>Bin>Custom>Select the downloaded .zip file.

Please also follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to an email to platformsupport[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com with "ATTN CHRIS S" in the subject line so I may investigate this matter further.

I look forward to your reply

Comment

Chris -

NT8.11.1.0 crashed again last night.
              I emailed the trace log with the exception data to platform support to your attention.

Hope this helps NT resolve the NT 8 stability problems.

Mark

Comment

Chris -

NT 8.11.1.0 is hanging again this morning.
                I emailed you the windows event viewer details showing it was an app hang event.
                No exceptions or errors in the log data.

However, your colleague emailed me and said I am using 1 period tick data.
                This is incorrect! I have no charts that use 1 period tick data.

I emailed him separate with my workspace file and snapshots of the charts.

Frustrating for me!

Mark

Comment

Chris -

I got another exception just now.
                  I sent you an email with the snippet of the exception and the trace file it was found in.

Three times this morning having troubles with NT 8.11.1.0

Again, I'd rather trade than help with debugging!

Mark

Comment

UPDATE - ntdll.dll and d2d1.dll error

So by now I have had a long email correspondence with NT support. I have been pointed in different directions, mainly related to vendor issues, performance and indicators that do not function properly. But unfortunately there might be a bigger issue.

I'm on windows 10 Pro 1709 build 16299.192 (Fall Creators Update) on a 12 core Threadripper 1920X, 32 G, double M.2 ssd and double GeForce GTX 1060 computer, with a 300 M fiber connection. To NT support; I don't have performance issues.

A couple of days ago I reinstalled Windows (third time) and started from scratch, with nothing else installed then windows updates, AVG PRO antivirus (where NinjaTrader is excluded from any scans) and Ninjatrader 8 v12 basic. I have done the installation on two different M.2 ssd and on SATA ssd. In between I have done extensive memory testing along with ssd tests. None of them have produced any error. I have run DISM and sfc according to <this link> with the result shown in the attached file. I don’t use video capture software, and I have the correct drivers installed for the graphics cards. I’m convinced that my problem don’t have it’s root in hardware. (I know it might have something to do with the CPU CORE instruction set used by AMD to handle all the different threads used by the different cores - and that the corresponding Intel instruction set on a i7 or i9 does things differently...But we are way out in theory right now...).

Moving on to the real issue.

Now, I do use a bucket of purchased indicators from three vendors that I trust. I have removed the assemblies from NT8 so I was on a default setup on NT8. There are no problems so far - all is good and no errors at all. But when I add just one assembly from one vendor, it breaks within one hour. I use only six charts, and only on one instrument (NQ). However – I do not believe these problems I will describe is vendor/indicator related.

What I experience is this:
                    NT8 stops with no warning, and nothing written in the trace or log file. Only place I can see the error is in windows log, where I see ntdll.dll and d2d1.dll errors mostly. (More on both later). I also see the .net version is 4.0.30319. I believe that NT8 is build on top of 4.5.1 or 4.6.1. However - my version of WIN 10 is preinstalled with 4.7.1, and according to microsoft, everything from 4.0 to 4.7.1 is covered with this version of .net. When NT8 start up, it's initial startup process writes in the log file. In there I see this line: .NET/CLR Version='4.7.1'/64bit. So when I see NT8 crash with a Framework version of 4.0.30319, is this the windows preferred choice? (See this line in d2d1.dll: LoadedModule[10]=C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\mscoreei.dll - and all other modules loaded with this particular error). Because I can not change the .net installation. It won’t allow the installation of .net 4.5.1 nor 4.6.1. It claim it’s covered with the 4.7.1. So now I'm in limbo land. Support claims it is vendor related, but I can see NT8 don't use the correct framework - which I nor the vendors have any control over at all...

Now - the d2d1.dll error is directly linked to NT8. (See the line: Sig[3].Value=d2d1.dll in the attached file). It produces error code that can be traced to OnRender. They were relating to functions like “RenderTarget.FillGeometry” and “RenderCrossHairPriceLabels”. This corresponds with what I experience when I see the error; Sometime the crash comes just by moving the cursor. No clicking at all - just moving the cursor. Sometime when I adjust something, like the height of panel 2 between price chart and indicator. This particular .NET exception refers to a runtime error on NinjaTrader.exe.

I do not believe it is caused by third party vendors.

The ntdll.dll is a Microsoft system file. The error code is always 0xc0000374. (See this line in the attached file: Sig[6].Value=c0000374). An error with this error code is already reported for NT7 back in 2015, with the exact same error code. See https://mobile.ninjatrader.com/suppo...80&postcount=2.
                    I believe it was with IQ feed connection (I'm on Continuum/CQG). But I'm facing this same error code again on NT8. The ntdll.dll error is very frequent. I have a lot of error reports with this single error code.

So – where does all of this leads us...and where do I go from here? I have a platform that is highly unstable. I have not had one trade so far this year because of that.
                    Moreover. If I’m the only one facing this particular issue using NinjaTrader 8 – what are my options?

I have attached two error report from Windows log to support the above – and I have a lot more where they came from. Hope someone can help see through all the error codes and point me in the right direction. And just to be clear; It’s not an option to abandon NinjaTrader! I have invested far too much time (five years) and money in both NT 7 and 8. It must be brought to a stable configuration.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by caløjn; 02-16-2018, 01:43 AM. Reason: Hard to read

Comment

How to find APPCRASH file

I have had a couple of PM’s from users having the same issue – APPCRASH when doing something harmless like moving the mouse.

If you don’t know where or how to look for those errors, I’ve made a short description of where you may want to look.
                      When NT8 crash, windows make a note of the error in the Application Log. You find the Application Log in Event Viewer.

On <this link> you can see how to find windows Event Viewer. Click Application, and scroll to find any errors. Click on the errors to view the underlying cause. If it is NinjaTrader, you will see NinjaTrader.exe, version: 8.0.XX.X, along with a lot of other error code.

If you want to extract the single error message in a text file, you find them in a hidden folder on C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive . See the attached picture.
                      In each of these folders, you will find a file called Report.wer. That file can be opened in Notepad, and saved as a .txt file. Then you can add the file to a post on the forum.

Hope this helps.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I have the exact same problem......NT8 just stops......charts freeze and then when I click on a chart the not responding error comes up and then shuts down......and as mentioned before I have over 5 years of dealing with this ..........stuff.........the only thing I know is about 8am every morning it stops responding and I cant figure out why. And I also have removed indicators..........The computer I built is in the upper 3% of the bench mark.........so no performance issues with that...........please help us get this fixed........and before you ask for the trace files.........dont..........I'm tired of sending them in and waiting for an e-mail that may or may not come......there is a problem and I know I'm not the only one having them.

Comment

Sinks, if the 'fix' was that simple, it would have been completed already.

These types of issues require deep analysis of each individual's setup to determine what is at the root of the issue. there are a lot of variables involved for every individual installation of NinjaTrader 8 that we cannot accurately diagnose without looking at your specific log and trace files.

I am the Platform Support Team Lead, and I am personally spearheading the effort (along with the direct support of the Development Team) to diagnose and resolve what is being reported in this thread..

It sounds like you've been working with us already, so please respond to our email(s) with a link to this forum thread and mention that Patrick G wans to work with you directly.

If you no longer have emails from when you wrote in regarding this issue previously, please write a new message into PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com. Provide a link to this thread and 'ATTN Patrick G' somewhere in the subject or body so that we may work together directly to find out more about what is occurring in your specific case.

I encourage any other users reading this thread looking for advice to also write in so we may work on a solution which is specifically for your situation.

caløjn, I'll be following up with you via email shortly.

Comment

E-Mail sent Patrick.......Thank you.........I will just go crawl back under this rock and wait.....

Comment

Update

Just wanted to give you all an update on the issue described. Ninjatrader is still working on narrowing down the root cause of the issue, it is no longer 'just' an indicator issue. I still test different scenarios, on different assemblies and the combination of assemblies. That will probably go on for the next couple of weeks.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                              167 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post jeronymite  
                              Started by warreng86, 11-10-2020, 02:04 PM
                              7 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred