Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

ninjatrader and visual 2017 debugging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ninjatrader and visual 2017 debugging

I am trying to debug and indicator in visual studio 2017 professional but when I click on the visual studio button ninjatrader states it can not be found. If I open visual studio and then try to click the icon. Ninjatrader states to close all instances of visual studio.

Any solutions?

Hello,

Thank you for the post.

I have moved this to the NT8 forums as it appears this is for NT8, nt7 does not have a Visual Studio button.

Can you tell me, are you currently updated to NT8 8.0.7.1?

Visual studio 2017 support was just added recently if you have not yet updated please do so:

Also have you completely installed the .net desktop development package for VS 2017? I know you can now select individual components but I would be unsure what specifically needs to be selected taking that path. If you have checked the .net desktop development package that should allow for solutions/csproj files to be opened.

You can alternatively open the NinjaTrader.Custom project file manually from visual studio:

Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\NinjaTrader.Custom.csproj

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Do you have a link to the correct .net desktop development package for VS 2017 download. I tried for the first time this morning to debug and when VS opened I had a boatload of errors unrelated to the simple indicator script.. I am thinking I go the wrong package. Thanks.

Comment

Hello,

You would need to use the visual studio installer to manage what you have installed. For directions on installing Visual Studio you would need to see the Microsoft documentation for visual studio.

To install the .net desktop development package please see the link in my last post which has an image of the visual studio installer. you would just need to check the .net desktop development box.

Comment

I modified the Visual studio for .NET Desktop AND downloaded the latest version of NT8.

I will do it manually but I want to make sure the instructions were correct. Do I first open the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\NinjaTrader.Custom.csproj
          and then open my indicator.cs file?

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

If you are still unable to use the visual studio button you should be able to still manually open the .csproj file from the bin/custom folder. After opening the solution, you would need to use the solution explorer that lists the files and locate the indicator. If it is not on the list, you would need to ensure you include it in the project for the IntelliSense and debugging features to work.

Compiling in NinjaTrader should include all .cs files in the solution when you do this Visual Studio will ask to reload and you should allow it to. When you save in Visual Studio, the platform should compile assuming a NinjaScript editor is open.

Comment

thanks I got it to work kind of buggy to get started. I had to open the NT8 and have a chart with and indicator on it then open the debugger in NT8

Third turn on VStudio find the solution attach the assembly then go back to the chart and refresh.

If I did not refresh the screen on the chart the breakpoints would not be found.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by rdtdale, Today, 01:02 PM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_LuisH  
              Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
              3 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse