Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Strategy entry and manual exit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy entry and manual exit

Hello,

I have an strategy with good results on paper, but I still have to create it in the strategy wizard.
    If I set an entry, stoploss and profit target, would it still be possible to EXIT the trade manually, because that is absolutely a must.
    For example, Strategy has an entry, and then when it is running can I disable this strategy in Control center> strategies> disable it> and exit trade manually?
    And then after a while enable the strategy again.

Thank you in advance.

Hello Van Dam,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums!

"... when it is running can I disable this strategy in Control center> strategies> disable it> and exit trade manually?" Yes, that is possible but would not be the recommended approach. You can certainly test this out with the sim101 account.

We recommend that you use a strategy with an ATM template that would allow you to manually adjust the profit/stops. What happens here is that the strategy finds the entries according to your code and once an entry is filled, the associated ATM takes over control for the profit/stop targets. You can manually adjust to exit out early if you wish and the strategy will continue running, looking for the next trade entry. Unfortunately, you would need to code this directly in Ninjascript as there is no strategy wizard for this type of strategy.

You can see and test an example of this with the strategy SampleATMStrategy that is on your platform. The code is well documented to help understand, however, if you are not familiar with Ninjascript coding it would be difficult. If you are interested to code this yourself (or to modify the sample) we can provide you with some educational links to get you started with Ninjascript (based on C# programming language). Alternatively, if you would prefer to have it professionally coded for you, we can provide references to 3rd party providers.
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

OK, thank you Paul,

I am not familiar with this coding stuff, soI have to do it this way.

When testing on sim it seems to work out, but later on NT still plots the initial exit/stoploss, how would this effect my live account?

Comment

Hello Van Dam,

Thanks for your reply.

"but later on NT still plots the initial exit/stoploss" Can you clarify what you mean, perhaps attach a screenshot and further explanation of your steps.

Comment

OK,

1 strategy has entry order (buy) profit target in strategy is 30 points
          2 10 minutes later I disable strategy and click sell (say 15 points profit) so no position at this time
          3 again 5 minutes later I enable strategy again but there is no entry (no position then)
          4 then again 5 minutes later price goes up further and reaches the 30 point profit zone, this point then is plotted on the chart
          My question: Is this just a plot or does NT enter a sell order (short position)

Comment

Hello Van Dam,

Thanks for your reply.

What is happening is that when you enable (or re-enable) a strategy, the strategy will process all of the historical data and will place trades according to your logic, so you will see all historic entry and exits.

In this case today, when your strategy was working with live data and it placed a live order as expected, you then disabled the strategy and closed the position. Later, in time, when you re-enabled the strategy, the strategy once again placed historical orders including now the original order that was a live entry would now show as a historical entry and the strategy is now waiting to complete the historical trade before placing live trades. In this mode (waiting to complete the historical trade) you can verify by checking the color of the strategy in the strategies tab, a yellow would indicate waiting to complete the historical trade. Green would indicate that it is ready to trade live and place live orders.

You can review further information here: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...egies_tab2.htm

This reference reviews "strategy positions verses account position" which is what we are talking about: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help..._account_p.htm

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Perr0Grande, Yesterday, 08:16 PM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
            Started by f.saeidi, Yesterday, 08:12 AM
            3 responses
            0 likes