Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ERROR: Failed to call 'Add' method for period type 'Tick'

Hi Support,

I let ninja connect to my zenfire datafeed,and I see the following errors in the trace file and also log file. I am on ninja 6.5.1000.5. My computer system more than meets the minimum system requirements and ninja is the only application, I run with very few charts.

===========
    Data.Bars.GetBarsNow: instrument='ES 12-08' from='2008-10-10' to='2008-10-13' sessionBegin='00:00:00' sessionEnd='00:00:00' excludeWeekend=False period=1 Tick splitAdjusted=False dividendAdjusted=False bars=0
    2008-10-13 00:16:58:080 ERROR: Failed to call 'Add' method for period type 'Tick': Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
    ============

Can you please answer the following questions

1) Why does ninja throw this error?
    2) What does "Failed to call Add method for period type tick" mean?
    3) Can this be fixed?

Thanks
    RK
    Last edited by RK_trader; 10-14-2008, 09:11 AM.

Your system/ the .NET runtime ran out of memory. Please go through performance tips here to reduce the RAM load: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...anceTips1.html

Comment

Hi Dierk/Support,

I have already gone through the performance tips.

Can you tell me what in Ninja is causing this heavy memory usage? It was working fine till Friday evening, when I reconnected to zenfire Sunday night, it gave this errors.

Is there anyway in ninja log/trace files, to add additional logging to identify which part of ninja is causing this problem? or any other way to identify whats causing this excessive memory usage. So,that corrective action can be taken.I do not use any 3rd party indicators.

Also what does " Failed to call 'Add' method for period type 'Tick'" mean,..does it have to do with ninja unable to load a ES tick chart?

Thanks
      RK
      Last edited by RK_trader; 10-13-2008, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately there is no way to exactly determine what causes the trouble since anything which runs at that time contributes to some extend.

Comment

Hi Dierk/Support,

Is it possible you can add this "additional logging" feature in the next ninja version. So, that one can turn on additional logging level to diagnose what part of ninja is causing the Systemoutofmemory problems. I am sure it help everyone in making ninja more stable and crash resistant.

Thanks
          RK

Comment

Hello RK,

I will forward your inquiry to our development team and ask them if they can add this to the list of future considerations for the software.

Thank you for your feedback.
            JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ninja crash on timeframe change

Hi Support,

I was doing a timeframe change on a ES chart, and Ninja crashed while loading the chart. I got the same error again in the trace file and this time it crashed while trading.

Is there anyway you can try to identify why this error is coming, and why it keeps crashing ninja. Attached find the trace file for this.

Thanks
              RK
              ====================

2008-10-14 11:01:18:395 ERROR: Failed to call 'Add' method for period type 'Tick': Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
              2008-10-14 11:01:20:485 in OnUnhandledThreadException
              2008-10-14 11:01:22:298 ERROR: Failed to call 'Add' method for period type 'Tick': Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
              2008-10-14 11:01:22:596 ********* exception trapped *********
              2008-10-14 11:01:22:596 Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
              2008-10-14 11:01:22:596 at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(Exec utionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
              at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionCon text executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
              at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallba ck(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
              at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallba cks()
              2008-10-14 11:01:24:534 Data.Bars.GetBarsNow: instrument='ES 12-08' from='2008-09-28' to='2008-10-14' sessionBegin='00:00:00' sessionEnd='00:00:00' excludeWeekend=False period=1 Tick splitAdjusted=False dividendAdjusted=False bars=0
              2008-10-14 11:01:44:011 Connection to NinjaTrader data server lost: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
              2008-10-14 11:01:44:011 ERROR: Connection to NinjaTrader historical market data server lost: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

===================

Comment

Hello RK,

At the time of changing timeframes the total RAM request of NinjaTrader was too much and subsequently caused an OutofMemory Exception and crashed the software.

To prevent this please reduce the total RAM request. You can use the link Dierk posted in post #2.

Comment

Hi Support/Jason,

I have already gone through performance tips,but I still get these errors and also ninja crashes.

I have 4 GB of RAM on my system, why does ninja take so much RAM? Does 6.5.1000.5 have memory leaks? I do not have 3rd party indicators and have only a few charts.

It would be nice if you can try to debug, why Ninja is throwing the error in the first place"ERROR: Failed to call 'Add' method for period type 'Tick':"

It appears ninja is stable for minutes timeframe,but for tick/volume timeframe, it keeps crashing on timeframe change on tick/volume charts. I know fellow traders,who keep getting ninja crashes on timeframe change of tick charts.

Thanks
                  RK

Comment

>> I have already gone through performance tips,but I still get these errors and also ninja crashes.
                    This is pretty clear, since you keep requesting too much tick data:
                    2008-10-14 11:01:24:534 Data.Bars.GetBarsNow: instrument='ES 12-08' from='2008-09-28' to='2008-10-14'

Please minimize your setup according the link I provided and the problem will be gone.

Comment

Hi Support/Dierk

I only plot a max 9 days for tick charts and it works fine. Originally the chart had the last day of 10/14/08 for 9 days. The change of chart timeframe I did was to plot a chart from last 9 days with the last date being "10/6/08"

So,ninja should be pulling data from last date of "10/6/08" to 9 previous days. Why is it trying to pull more than 9 days and that too with last date from 10/14/08?

Appears like in this case, ninja is pulling more days than user requests, and is crashing.

RK

Comment

Hello RK,

Can you please tell me your exact steps upon switching timeframes?

What Range settings did you change in the Format Data Series window; did you only change the "Last day"?

If you open up only this chart and no other windows in NinjaTrader, are you able to reproduce the crash?

Comment

Hi Support/Jason

I experienced this atleast 2 to 3 times doing similar steps in last few weeks. I only changed the last date, and I let the number of days remain the same 9 days on my tick/volume chart. I had only few charts opened.

Also, I noticed all of the times, the same error in the log/trace before crashing.

"ERROR: Failed to call 'Add' method for period type 'Tick'"

In general I view my tick/volume charts only max 9 days, as I know ninja will crash if I view more than 9 days. So, if I have to see a ES chart for 2 weeks before from now, I change only the last day with the number of days keeping the same as 9.

RK

Comment

Hello RK,

I tested this on my end and could not reproduce the error.

I connected to Zen-Fire and opened a 150 ES tick chart with 9 days worth of historical data.

It loaded as expected. I right clicked in the chart and selected the Format Data Series window. I changed the "Last date" to one week back; 10/8.

It takes a few seconds and during the data load the chart still updates with real-time data. Then, you will display the loading dialogue box and a few seconds later the chart is displayed as expected.

Upon right clicking in the chart and selecting the Format Data Series window, I only noticed the look back period was increased by one.

Could it be during the times the issue occurred the market was really volatile? This contributed to the total RAM usage as well and thus an out of memory exception is thrown?

Comment

Hi Jason,

I got the crash during non volatile times as well and I know fellow traders who experienced similar ninja crashes when they did "format data series" for tick/volume charts.

RK

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by NRITV, Today, 01:15 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NRITV
                              by NRITV

Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
                              7 responses