Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Nasdaq tick size pilot program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nasdaq tick size pilot program

Hi there,

Finra has implemented a pilot program whereby the tick size of certain stocks is 5 cents instead of 1 cent. Whilst I have not yet tested this with live order entries using NT8, I understand from placing orders in Interactive Brokers TWS that submitting limit orders using the default 1 cent rounding in NT8 will result in rejected orders by Interactive Brokers platform as the orders do not conform to the minimum tick size.

The list of stocks with 5 cent tick size is dynamic and found here, there are 2270 securities today:

Given the number of securities, changing the tick size in NT8 and dynamic nature of the list is not practical I believe.

As an alternative, I understand it would be possible to import the contents of a text file (e.g. downloaded from the link above) and add the stocks to a list in strategy code. When entering orders the instrument to be traded could be checked if it is contained in the list of stocks with 5 cent tick size and if so then have the limit, target and stop orders rounded to five cents.

Do you agree that this is the best way to handle this problem and if so can you provide some links / suggestions on how to go about it.

Thanks.

Numbo

Hello Numbo,

This post is in the Strategy Development section of the forums.

Are you attempting to create a NinjaScript Strategy that imports instruments into NinjaTrader and adds these to a list?

This is not supported by NinjaTrader Development to do, but may be possible using unsupported methods.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

No, the list of stocks is already hardcoded in the strategy and the stocks are already available in Ninjatrader. Reference this post for the example strategy code:

However all of the stocks show a 1 cent tick size which is not the actual tick size. So I want to be able to cross take the instrument name that has been added to the strategy through the AddDataSeries method and check an external list as to whether it has a 5 cent tick size, if so then the rounding on orders is to be to 5 cents instead of the default 1 cent in NT8.

I hope this clarifies the question.

Numbo

Comment

Hello Numbo,

If you are creating instruments that have an incorrect tick size in the Instrument window, this will cause your orders to fill at unexpected prices on the exchange.

I would not recommend adding instruments with an incorrect tick size to the database in the Instrument window.

To find (not set) an instruments tick size from code you need the Instrument object.

<instrument>.MasterInstrument.TickSize.

Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

Ok, so if the ticksize needs to be updated in the instruments in Ninjatrader to reflect the 5 cents tick increment, what is the best way to update 2270 symbols?

Is there an automated way to do this, either by importing them in bulk with the correct tick size or another way? Manual update is not really practical hence why I was looking for ways to manage this in the code.

How do you suggest the database is maintained given the symbols which have a 5 cent tick size will continue to change?

Thanks.

Numbo

Comment

Hello Numbo,

The solution here would be to import a stock list and set that lists tick size upon import, which currently is not possible however I will submit a feature request for this.

For now you will have to manually change the tick size of those stocks you're looking to trade which trade in nickles.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.
            Alan P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Numbo,

The feature request ID to allow you to select tick size of an imported stock list is SFT-2565. Votes for this feature are now being tracked.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.
              Alan P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Add my vote to this feature.

I expect NT to perform the proper rounding on my orders. Instead IB rejects my order and if it's an exit, immediately closes my position that I just entered. I am basically paying a penalty for entering and immediately exiting a position every time this happens.

Comment

Hello dcschultz,

Thanks for your post.

You vote has been added to SFT-2565.

Thank-you.
                  Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
                  5 responses