Request Breakeven Functions in Strategy Builder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request Breakeven Functions in Strategy Builder

I use the Strategy Builder as I am not a programmer. It would be very helpful if a Breakeven function was available in the Strategy Builder. When I test a trading idea manually the ATM Strategy easily allows a Breakeven setting. When I want to fine tune that idea in Strategy Builder Breakeven isn't available.. The Breakeven feature can really make a difference in the profitability of a strategy.

Let me know if NinjaTrader has any interest in adding this feature.

Thank you,

Hello 123r34,

I am happy to submit a feature request on your behalf for the NinjaTrader Development to consider this for a future version of NinjaTrader. Please let me know if you would like to do this.

NinjaScript Strategies are meant to have the behavior customized by the logic of the programmer including any custom trailing or breakeven movements.

Attached are three examples of a breakeven movement and a trailing action created with the Strategy Builder.

(Update August 5th, 2020 - changed the CurrentTriggerPrice and CurrentStopPrice variables to doubles)
    (Update August 8th, 2023 - Added TrailLongShortBuilderExample_NT8, started tracking with a progressState variable)

BreakEvenBuilderExample_NT8.zip
    TrailBuilderExample_NT8.zip
    TrailLongShortBuilderExample_NT8.zip
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 08-05-2020, 02:23 PM.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes, please submit my request for a Breakeven function in the Strategy Builder. It would be extremely useful to the non programmers which are probably the vast majority of your users.

Thank you

Comment

Hello 123r34,

I have received a tracking ID for your request.

Your request for the Strategy Builder to have breakeven settings is being tracked with ID #SFT-2212.

Please note it is up to the NinjaTrader Development to decide if and when a request will be implemented.

We appreciate your feedback. Please let us know of any other suggestions you have for the NinjaTrader Platform.

Comment

Hello gplatis,

Below are links to NinjaTrader 7 versions.

Comment

Please add my request for this feature

Comment

I have forwarded your vote request to our development team.
              Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

please add my vote for this feature request ID#SFT-2212
                Thank you.

Comment

I have forwarded your vote as well.
                  Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
                    Hello 123r34,

Attached are two examples of a breakeven movement and a trailing action created with the Strategy Builder.
                    Hello I have modified the NT8 sample inserting a different entry long condition (last bar close higher than previous bar close).
                    It was working when I was using Continuum data feed. Now I am using IB data feed and the sample strategy does not trigger any trade.
                    Is this due to the type of data feed provided by IB (no tick historical) ?
                    In order to avoid tick references in the script I have been using only minute timeframes and I changed loss target and trailing calculation methods, (from nr of ticks to percentage changes; I hope I was able to do this correctly with the Strategy Builder), but it appears that this is not enough to get the sample strategy working.
                    Can you please explain why this is happening? is it because the scripts requests "Real Time"?
                    I attach the sample modified.
                    Thanks.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hello guidoisot,

Is the script not working real-time or is the script not working historically?

What is the bar type and interval the strategy is being applied to?

Historical Tick Data is not supported with Interactive Brokers connections in NinjaTrader. It would be expected this would not load historically on a tick based chart using this connection type but would run in real-time.

What is not working?
                      Is the entry not being placed?
                      Are the exit orders not being placed?
                      Are these being placed but are not filling?

Have you used prints to debug the script and understand the behavior?

Comment

Hello Chelsea,
                        the script does not trigger any trade, no entry orders, both real-time and historically.
                        I am using only minute bars.
                        Please see screenshot video to better describe what is happening.

Unfortunately I do not know how to use print for this script.
                        As it is now, with the changes I have done on loss target and trailing calculation methods, does it trigger trades on your platform?
                        Thanks.

Comment

Hello guidoisot,

You will need to debug the script to find out why no orders are being placed.

In my previous email I have provided a link to a forum post that demonstrates how to use prints to understand behavior.

I have tested the script as you have requested. I am not finding orders are being placed historically, however, this is how the conditions are written in the script.

Are you wanting me to run the script for a specific amount of time to see if orders are placed in real-time?

You can also contact a professional NinjaScript Consultant who would be eager to create or modify this script at your request or assist you with your script. The NinjaTrader Ecosystem has affiliate contacts who provide educational as well as consulting services. Please let me know if you would like our business development follow up with you with a list of affiliate consultants who would be happy to create this script or any others at your request.

How long would you like me to run the script.

Comment

Hello
                            in the meantime, a few minutes after applying the strategy, the two error messages attached showed up.
                            Did you get the same error msg?
                            No need to run the script.
                            Maybe you could modify the script of the sample you published some time ago so that it can place orders also historically, on minute timeframe chart.
                            Thanks.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hello guidoisot,

No, I did not experience these errors.

I enabled the script for about a minute and this disabled this and began working with a new client. In the minute the strategy was enabled no orders were placed and no errors were experienced.

The error is letting you know that a sell stop order was placed above the market. This is an invalid placement for a stop market order. Stop market orders must be placed below the bid.

Which example are you referring to?

Are you referring to the BreakEvenBuilderExample and the TrailBuilderExample strategies that are being discussed in this forum thread?

These do work historically and do not have any code in the conditions to only place entries in real-time.
                              Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 09-15-2021, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by tsantospinto, 04-12-2024, 07:04 PM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post aligator  
                              Started by michi08, 10-05-2018, 09:31 AM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes