Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A pair of GeForce 200 series..

Comment

You'll get a wide range of answers on this one.
      In general, it will work best if they are the same brand and preferably similar model. Most cards support dual monitors these days, so a pair of any recent AMD/Nvidia cards will do the job.

All depends on what you want to do. Ninja is a 2D app, and doesn't really use the complex 3D functions of the higher end cards.

For me, quiet is king, and some/many of the high end cards have noisy fans. I use a Nvidia GT8500 and GT6400 .. with no fans. This is considered low-end in the gamer world, but works just fine for me on my trading machine. There are others like this, in AMD and Nvidia..

The card that jdfagan posted is top of the line, and quiet too.. but needs a water-cooling system.

You can also look at the Matrox line of extenders. I also have used Matrox tripple-head-to-go adapters. This allows any PC to drive 3 monitors, with a laptop you actually get 4 monitors.

Comment

i'd get two ati 4670s, all you need for NT. Low power draw and low noise level, which is the main problem with the newer video cards.

Buy POWERCOLOR PCS AX4670 1GBK3-P Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Comment

Elapsed time: 3 minutes, 1 seconds. AMD X4 940 3.0 ghz 4GB ram win 7 6.5.1000.12

Comment

Not superfast: it does the job

Elapsed Time: 3 min 47sec w NT 6.5.1000.14 & largeaddress patch
            Proc: Intel Core2 Extreme X9650 3.00 GHz 8GB ram
            Cooling: Air, not overclocked or optimized
            Storage: 8port 44gb ramdrive (3ware 9650 R5)

Comment

32-bit vs 64-bit performance

Does anyone know if NT7 optimization is faster on 64-bit system than 32-bit on the same machine or there is no difference? TIA

Comment

A 64 bit system would be higher performing, although I'm not aware by which exact margin...
                BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

NT 7b19 64 bit vs 32bit benchmark result - 64bit is slower

I have just installed NT7b19 and somehow 64 bit is running almost twice as long as the 32bit version. Also same results on beta18.

Intel i7 930 4.2ghz
                  32bit 1:46
                  64bit 3:48

Can anyone please confirm if you have similar results between 32bit and 64bit?
                  Last edited by nissii; 07-29-2010, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Wow its been a while since I last posted in this thread. I have since upgraded to a i930 as well. I had it overclocked to 4.2GHz during the Winter/Spring. But this summer has been the hottest on record and I had to turn it down to 3.92Ghz cause it wasn't running stable in the heat.

I haven't benchmarked NT 6.5 yet. It doesn't really matter... it crashes all the time during normal usage anyways. I have used 7 beta, a bit better, interface changes have improved. But I have looked into alternatives.

Peace.

Comment

I don't know if anyone's pointed it out, but it's not calculation speed that hinders NT most (well, it might be different on a machine with SSD or 10,000rpm HDD). I find that complexity of calculations doesn't increase time as much as does testing ove ra bigger data set. Furthermore, while RAM consumption is primarily determined by # of trades during the backtest, runtime depends on total # bars involved in calculations.

Comment

# bars involved in calculations

Originally posted by billitin View Post
                        I don't know if anyone's pointed it out, but it's not calculation speed that hinders NT most (well, it might be different on a machine with SSD or 10,000rpm HDD). I find that complexity of calculations doesn't increase time as much as does testing ove ra bigger data set. Furthermore, while RAM consumption is primarily determined by # of trades during the backtest, runtime depends on total # bars involved in calculations.
                        >>runtime depends on total # bars involved in calculations. >>

What do you mean exactly?
                        With NT7 Maximum bar look back is fixed with only two options: 256 or infinite.

Comment

Why, you can specify any time range you desire when backtesting a strategy. But this post was on NT6, things may be different for NT7.

Comment

2 minutes, 31 seconds. Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo 3.6ghz , Win 7 64bit OS, NT 7 32bit ver., 3 tests same time. (whittod)

I know this thread is all but dead but wanted to try it again with new Windows 7 Pro OS vs the last test I ran with Win XP back in 4/16/2009 The test was approx 20sec faster the my previous test.

Will try again when new components arrive next week Intel i7-2600k Sandy Bridge CPU, faster ram and higher over clocking. Will see if the improved Sandy Bride processor out performs the current i7 920s rating.

I also ran in NT 64 bit mode and seem to get a slow time then in NT 7 32 bit mode..fwiw.

Thanks
                            Whittod

Comment

Originally posted by whittod View Post

Will try again when new components arrive next week Intel i7-2600k Sandy Bridge CPU, faster ram and higher over clocking. Will see if the improved Sandy Bride processor out performs the current i7 920s rating.

I also ran in NT 64 bit mode and seem to get a slow time then in NT 7 32 bit mode..fwiw.

Thanks
                              Whittod
                              Great! Please let us know about the benchmark wih the new setup.

Comment

01m 36s: Intel Core i7-2600K @ 4.43Ghz / 8GB DDR3, Win 7 64bit, NT 7 32bit (whittod)

Above is the core from my new computer system.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by helpwanted, Today, 03:06 AM
                                1 response
                                0 likes
                                Last Post sarafuenonly123  
                                Started by Brevo, Today, 01:45 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Brevo