Ergodic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ergodic

Please find attached the 'Ergodic' and the Ergodic Candlestick Oscillator from William Blau's book.

You would use the Ninja \File\Utilities\Import function to import the attached zip file.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by zoltran; 10-18-2007, 08:44 PM.

Interesting work zoltran. Thank you for the contribution. I'll need to go pick up Mr. Blau's book and see how this Ergodic.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Great work Zoltran . . . Blau's work has produced some really useful indicators and til now, have been noticably absent from Ninja. Thanks for your contribution.
      whitmark
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Whitmark Development

Comment

There are some instrucions in the souces that may make the Ergodic Oscillator more interesting...

[quote] [COLOR=SeaGreen] Description from Investor RT
        [URL]http://www.linnsoft.com/tour/techind/custom/ergodic.htm[/URL]

ErgodocOscillator = TSI
        ErgodocOscillator Signal Line = EMA(TSI)
        ErgodocOscillator Oscillator = TSI - EMA(TSI)

By default, TSI is setup with a Short Term of 5 and a Long Term of 20 and EMA is setup with a period of 5.

Trading Ergodics with the Trend - Rules

1. Enter or hold position only when slope of ErgodocOscillator Signal line has the same direction as the trend
        2. Stand aside when slope of ErgodocOscillator Signal Line is in the opposite direction of trend
        3. Enter or exit position when ErgodocOscillator and its Signal Line cross[/COLOR]
        [/quote]

Comment

Also, while figuring out the code, I added some comments to it, so I've attached an update for Ergodic.cs which should make it an easier read, and a beginner might have half a chance at understanding it.

[quote]Shameless advertisement:

With adequate commenting of all of the NinjaTrader indicators, there would be much less simplistic questions on the forums, and a lot less load on NinjaTrader staff answering them, and even more people would flock to NinjaTrader because of the user friendliness.

My services are available.

Oh, and I could even do slightly better than this example, if I were being paid for it.:)[/quote]KBJ
          Attached Files

Comment

KBJ.....

Can you upload your Ninjascript Strategy so that we can all comment on it and learn from it as well? I would personally like to implement it with my trading. Thanks!

Comment

This one isn't for the Ergodic, but I posted a strategy for the FastStochastic which the Optimizer was able to get 73% success out of. It needs lots of testing on other time frames and such.

Here it is: [url]http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3615[/url]

Comment

Slingshot Indicator

I've been searching all over the forum for a slingshot indicator, but couldn't find such an indicator for Ninjatrader.

Anyone ?

Thanks in advance.

Saschja.

Comment

Ergodoc Candlestick Oscilator

Adapted from Blau's Momentum/Direction/Divergence by zoltran (Wes S.)

The following is the Ergodic Candlestick Oscillator.
                  The ECO is a Momentum Oscillator that is not affected by opening gaps. See William Blau's Momentum/Direction/Divergence book.

It is used in a very similar manner to other Momentum indicators such as CCI, MACD or the Ergodic.

The 'Candlestick' part comes from the formula's use of just the open-close vs high-low.
                  It's primary advantage is that is not affected by Gap openings. It totally ignores them giving a better view of current momentum.

You can see this in the attached screen shots.
                  The trend was flat-to-down on 11/29. There was a gap open on 11/30 that ended up also being flat to down and eventually sold off.
                  The other indicators were all pegged high overbought/in the green due to the gap. The ECO pretty much ignored it. Same for 12/5.

There are some interesting strategies for using this indicator.
                  As they are on another charting programs web site.. I'll leave it to the reader to do a google for it. Try a search for ergodic candlestick histogram

/----------------------------------------
                  Trading Ergodics with the Trend - Rules

1. Enter or hold position only when slope of ECO Signal line has the same direction as the trend
                  2. Stand aside when slope of ECO Signal Line is in the opposite direction of trend
                  3. Enter or exit position when ECO and its Signal Line cross
                  4. Take note when the ECO is 'inside' it's signal line. This indicates failing momentum
                  This is what the magenta "Fading" dot signifies

// Formula for Candlestick oscilator from Blaus book is
                  // EMA(EMA(close-open),r),s)
                  // CSI(r,s)= 100 x --------------------------
                  // EMA(EMA(high-low),r),s)
                  //
                  // The 'Ergodic' version adds signal line, wich is a 5 bar ema of the CSI
                  //

(Cleaned up comments so KBJ doesn't scold me ;-) )

v1-4 -Fixed Plot Overflow- again Dec 18
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by zoltran; 12-19-2007, 11:06 PM.

Comment

[quote=zoltran;21856]
                    (Cleaned up comments so KBJ doesn't scold me ;-) )[/quote]

You've done well.

Comment

Great help thank you

1st a question. What determins if a bar is red or green and what causes the change. 2nd can you easlily tell me how to insert a line at plus 15 and at minus 15?? I love the indicator so far (2 days). Thanks

Comment

Green Bar = Rising ECO line .. ie the ECO line is greater than the prior bar
                        Red Bar = Falling ECO line
                        Same for the Ergodic Indicator

You can adjust the line levels when you add the indicator to the chart. Look for the 'Lines' section on the right of the Add Indicator dialogue .. just above where you change the color/size of the plots.

If you want an additional line, you can use the standard NT indicator called "Constant Lines" . It is used to place any arbirary line on chart/panel.
                        Apply it to the same 'panel' as your ECO, and adjust the line levels/color/formats as you wish.

Comment

Thank you so much. I forget about the constant line indicator.

Comment

One More Question

Any idea why I can get ECO to run on a tic chart of any number of tics, a 2 min chart but not a 1 min or a 3 min or any other min chart ??? Strange !!! The panel is just blank

Comment

Sorry,
                              It works fine here on all 3 types of charts. Have not had a problem.

Are there any entries in the NT log? For example Index out of bounds?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Christopher_R, Today, 12:29 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Christopher_R  
                              Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                              166 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post sidlercom80