Mr C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr C.

Hello- I have a numerous strategies setup in the Strategies tab in the Control center, however I would like to copy these strategies to another computer that has NT7 as well. Is there an easy way to do this so I can avoid having to type it all over again on the new computer? I tried copying the Workspace and saving it into the 2nd computer's workspace directory but that doesn't seem to work. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

You may create a backup of your installation and restore it on the second PC to move these items.

To install NinjaTrader please follow the link bellow.
    • http://ninjatrader.com/GetStarted
    • Enter your email address in the Your email... field
    • Select NinjaTrader 7 from the drop-down
    • Download and run the Setup.exe file and complete the on-screen instructions
    Complete the following steps to create a Backup Archive on the first computer.
    1. Disconnect from all connectivity providers (if connected) and from within the Control Center window select the File menu. Then select the menu Utilities and the menu item Backup...
    2. The "Backup NinjaTrader" dialog window will appear
    3. Select the items you wish to back up
    4. Press the "Run Backup" button
    After the backup is complete, navigate to the folder in which the backups are stored, by default they go to:
    • C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\NinjaTrader Backup
    • The Backup file will be saved as the days date that it was created (Example: 2012-03-09)
    You then can email the backup (depending on size), burn to disc, or transfer to an external media to place it on the second PC.

Complete the following steps to restore a Backup Archive on the second computer.
    1. From within the Control Center window select the File menu. Then select the menu Utilities and the Restore... menu item
    2. Select the backup archive to restore from the "Restore" file dialog window
    3. Press the "Open" button

The new computer will have a different Machine ID.

The Machine ID is generated using information about your hardware and BIOS and is used to uniquely identify the computer for security purposes and for vendor licensing.

The license key will need to be re-entered under Help > License Key.

All account connections will need to have the username and password re-entered.

Below is a link to the connection guides.

You will need to contact any 3rd party vendors and let them know that your machine ID has changed. You can locate the new machine ID by the following:
    • Control Center > Help > About... (e.g. Machine ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX)

Once the backup is restored, shutdown NinjaTrader and click No to all for saving any workspaces, then restart NinjaTrader.

Below I have provided a link to the Backup & Restore section of our help guide.
    http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...p__restore.htm

Additionally below is a link to our NinjaTrader 7 Tips - Backing Up Settings To A Second PC YouTube video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGCp9...ure=plpp_video

If an error occurs that is specific to NinjaScript files please see the forum post linked below.
    https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...400#post378400

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any other NinjaTrader inquiries you may have.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 02-23-2020, 06:11 PM.
    Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you Eric. All I was trying to do was transfer the workspace over from computer A to computer B (which also has ninjatrader loaded). I was hoping that I can just copy the workspace over but that doesn't seem to work.

Also, I currently have Ninjatrader working on 2 machines. I thought I loaded my license key for both. Is that possible? I need to take another look. How many machines can I have for a given license key? If it's one machine then how is the quickest way I can identify which machine will actually be able to do live trades? I haven't gone live yet.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

I see, the workspace is comprised of the open chart and additional windows.

To confirm, are you wanting to move the strategies that are listed in the Strategy tab without re-enabling, or just move the custom items for use on the second PC in general?

My previous steps will allow you to move all items or select only "NinjaScript files" when creating the backup if only these are needed.

We look forward to assisting further.
        Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Mr C

Hi Eric- I just want to move over the strategy parameters that I setup in the strategies tab to computer B. It's a single strategy that I'm using but it is repeated many times across different instruments with different coefficients (for example different MACD time constants, etc.). The 2nd machine already has the 2nd strategy loaded in the custom directory but has nothing configured in the strategies tab yet. I suppose I can manually re-enter all of the different instruments and coefficients in machine B but am wondering if there's an easier way.

Comment

Hello ciro1963,
            You can find the templates for strategies within Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Strategy > Your strategy. Please note you must have saved a default for the strategy within the Strategy Parameters window by right clicking within the window > save as template.

Comment

Hi Ryan can you be more specific as to where I can find the strategies parameter window to right click as you indicated? Thanks

Comment

Hello ciro1963,

Thank you for your response.

The Strategies menu can be access on the chart with a right click and then select Strategies. If the strategy is just on the Strategies tab then disable the strategy and right click and select Edit Strategy.

From those menus you can then right click and select 'Save as...' for the template.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by AveryFlynn, Today, 04:57 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post AveryFlynn  
                Started by RubenCazorla, 08-30-2022, 06:36 AM
                3 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post PaulMohn