Migration from Excel System to NT8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migration from Excel System to NT8

I am currently using an custom Excel based system to manage my trading portfolio and used NT7 a little bit before that. I'd like to move back to NT, but trying to understand how to match features I have implemented in Excel to NT8.

Right now, this is what I can do:
    • For Watch list, identify entry signals based on simple rules
    • Calculate position size for entry based on portfolio size and cash position
    • Calculate updated SOQ orders
    • Use EOD historical data for all calculations, all orders are entered manually through brokerage account

Unfortunately, due to the limitations in Excel what I want to improve on are:
    • Advanced Charting
    • Backtesting
    • Expanding the logic in the rules for entry, position sizing, adding to positions, etc.

I am not looking for intraday trading or automated trading (at this time).

So, I have some basic questions to help me get started:
    • Do I use a simulation account to "mirror" what is currently active in my brokerage account?
    • Can I enter in historical orders for currently Open positions in my account?
    • How do I (or should I) leverage ATM to support my objectives?

I have worked with Charts, Indicators, and Market Analyzer. I had setup Market Analyzer in NT7 to work pretty well to display indicators, but that was awhile ago.

I want to make sure that I start with the basic fundamentals to build the right trading system for me.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Thank you for the post and welcome to the NinjaTrader forum.

NinjaTrader 8 was built to be the most powerful and customizable charting, analytics, and trading software ever made. Anything is possible to do in the platform. If the feature you want is not there, users have the ability to create add-ons in C# that run in the NinjaTrader process.

Your simulation account will not reflect any values of another account. It is a fake account that has a specified cash amount. Your orders are placed on this account if SIM101 is selected in any order entry window.
    Keep in mind this sim account was not designed to hold positions for over two weeks.

For your question on adding executions, you may do so with a Trades Performance window:

ATM's are a quasi-automated way to trade. You may read more about ATM strategies here:

There is also a video tutorial on that page.

Here is our publicly available YouTube playlist on NinjaTrader 8:

Please let us know if we may be of any further assistance
    Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

More thoughts.

For your question on adding executions, you may do so with a Trades Performance window: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...erformance.htm

I spent some time looking through this information and did not find any specific reference to manual entering orders to define actual positions in my brokerage portfolio.

I think I am going to go back to Market Analyzer and get back to where I was using that for generating my entry signals, position sizing, and stop management. I have not had any issues with developing indicators and try that.

As far as using existing portfolio positions and size for money management strategies, I may try and play around with using parameters or keeping the information in an external file and read in during playback.

Once I get comfortable with that, I can start looking closing at Strategies and Backtesting.

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:00 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post Waxavi
      by Waxavi

Started by elirion, Today, 01:36 AM
      0 responses