Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 + IB: Dropdown in IB Gateway preventing a connection to a paper account

Hi there!

I just downloaded the newest version of Ninjatrader 8 (8.0.14.2 64-bit) and IB Trader Workstation (Build 9721i (June 11 version)), and I've got a problem (of my own making).

While I can connect just fine to my live account on IB, I can't connected to my paper account because of a dropdown inherent in the first screen of IB. (Trading Mode).

I'm assuming I have to use an earlier version of IB in order to use NT8 to auto-connect, or just manually start up everything, or use Auto Hot Key to work around it.

Anything I'm missing, or am I just waiting on NT to update their configuration options with the next build release?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Spiderbird,

You will not be able to select any other account other than built in practice Sim101 unless you have a live license key and you have Global Simulation Mode unchecked.

To view your account balance on the Accounts tab of the Control Center or trade with any connected brokerage account you must:
    Have a live license key (either Single Broker, Multi-Broker, or Direct Edition)
    Have this license entered into NinjaTrader under Help -> License Key
    Have Global Simulation Mode Disabled
    - In NT7 click File -> uncheck Global Simulation Mode
    - In NT8 click Tools -> uncheck Global Simulation Mode

Once a live license key has been entered and the connection to the brokerage is established the live account will appear on the Accounts tab of the Control Center.

Once Global Simulation Mode is disabled, you can select any live account in the Account drop-down of a trade window such as ChartTrader or the SuperDOM or in the parameters of a NinjaScript Strategy.

Purchase Options - Single Broker
    The best value when purchasing NinjaTrader is to select one of our lifetime purchase options. Alternatively you can also lease our software for a period of time that makes sense to you. We make purchasing NinjaTrader easy by providing you a choice in how you access our software...choose a plan that suits you best!
    • Lifetime license for a one time payment of $999
    • Lifetime license for 4 easy monthly payments of $299
    • Several flexible leasing options starting as low as $50 per month

Learn more about our purchase options!

Once you have a live license key, you can log in to your paper trading account in TraderWorkstation, connect using NinjaTrader, and then select your paper trading account.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

No need to upsell NT8. I'm already a full license holder. Thanks anyway though.
      And I'll make some clarifications to help you with my situation:

- NT8 is not in Global Simulation Mode. I turned that off right after I set up my connections to IB.
      - The problem occurs during a connection attempt from NT8 to IB because of a dropdown menu inherent to IB that NT8 does not account for.

Here's a URL of the image I see in IB after a failed login attempt trying to connect to my IB paper account: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eo4vbwn3mq...Error.PNG?dl=0

I couldn't find anything in the configuration setup for NT8 that accounts for this dropdown. Help?
      Last edited by Spiderbird; 06-24-2018, 10:34 PM. Reason: Typos and image viewing

Comment

Hello Spiderbird,

Are you signed into the paper trading account in TraderWorkstation?

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

When I'm first starting out, IB is not running. It's in the following sequence:

1. Boot computer
          2. Start NinjaTrader
          3. Select 'IB Paper Account' from the 'Connections' navigation item (something I configured).
          4. IB pop-up window appears, but the 'Live Account' dropdown is selected.
          5. IB generates a login error.

Let me know if that makes sense.

- R

Comment

Hello Spiderbird,

Unfortunately, NinjaTrader does not have the ability to select paper trading with the TraderWorkstation login prompt.

To trade the paper trading account, open TWS first, sign to the paper trading account. Then connect with NinjaTrader.

Comment

Ahh! That's unfortunate. Can I request that future versions of Ninjatrader address this dropdown as part of the configuration screen for setting up a connection?

Also, this doesn't happen often, but NT8 mistimes when it submits the username portion of the username/password combo. It sometimes feeds the IB window too early and only submits part of the username passed to it.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

To clarify - you'd like the Interactive Brokers connection guide provided by NinjaTrader to contain a note regarding paper accounts letting you know that you must login manually? Just a note next to auto logon saying something like 'live accounts only'?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
                  To clarify - you'd like the Interactive Brokers connection guide provided by NinjaTrader to contain a note regarding paper accounts letting you know that you must login manually? Just a note next to auto logon saying something like 'live accounts only'?
                  Sure, you can do that if it's the easiest route to take in the short term.

Ideally, you'd want something in the NT configuration screen for a connection to have a twin radio button selection that says:

O - Live Account (selected by default)
                  O - Paper Account

If paper account is selected, two things occur when connecting to IB:
                  - The port in NT8 is automatically updated to align with the default IB port for paper trading accounts.
                  - The IB login window chooses the 'Paper Account' dropdown when connecting through NT8.

Let me know if I can assist further.

- R

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, Spiderbird. I'll submit what you desire as a feature request to the Development Team. I'll update this post when I receive a tracking number. EDIT - the tracking number is SFT-3320.
                    Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 06-26-2018, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Sounds great Patrick. I know y'all have a gigantic backlog of feature requests. It's not a deal breaker for me at all. More or less a nice to have so I don't have to manually do it myself.

Thanks for the time and attention!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by jclose, Today, 09:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post jclose
                      by jclose

Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM
                      10 responses