NT8 stable yet?...custom strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 stable yet?...custom strategy

I have avoided NT8 for quite a while, waiting for its stability to improve. I haven't looked at it in many months but I am thinking of migrating some custom strategies to NT8.

Without trying to start an anti-NT8 row can anyone that has migrated custom strategies from NT7 to NT8 let me know what the primary issues were and whether you would do it again?

Is NT8 stability much improved over the situation I was hearing last summer? Better yet, rather than ask if it has improved above a prior bad level, has it instead reached a solid level of stability? i.e. are you comfortably trading live strategies now with no issues?

Any input appreciated.

Hello pcoghlan,

Thanks for your inquiry.

I see that you are asking the forum as a whole, but I will give my (personal) 2 cents to assist further.

Generally, I prefer working on NinjaScripts in NinjaTrader 8 much more than NinjaTrader 7. More is documented, which opens up many more doors with supported code. The fact that the platform is multi-threaded makes for a better experience as well. The stability of the platform is also in much better shape since initial release. I will let the rest of the forum comment on this to answer your question directly.

One setback I may note is if you are converting a NinjaScript that adds data series dynamically. (Using a parameter to determine a secondary data series.) While this works under many circumstances, there are instances where Instrument, Bars and user input cannot be fetched reliably in State.Configure. Because this cannot be fetched reliably, it is currently unsupported and additional data series are advised to be hard coded. One specific instance I can think of is in Optimization backtests. We are tracking interest with this item with the ticket ID SFT-882. If you would like to submit a vote, I may do so on your behalf.

If you have questions on converting NinjaScripts to NT8, you may ask on the forum or reach out to the NinjaScript Support team at platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com.

Since you are asking the rest of the forum, I will leave this thread open ended and we will keep an eye on the feedback received.
    JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Depends on your connection.

The TDA connection is closer to working for me.

I mostly trust the nt8 market replay for development of strategies. It's so fast compared to nt7.

It's probably wroth your time to experiment and start porting stuff. It shouldn't crash completely on you.

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
        It shouldn't crash completely on you.
        If this is the level NT8 is at I will wait another 6-12 months. Setting the bar that low, it wont completely crash, doesn't work for me.

I am reading some worrying things in other threads and so for me it is not yet ready for use.

Thanks for the input guys,.

Comment

Originally posted by pcoghlan View Post
          If this is the level NT8 is at I will wait another 6-12 months. Setting the bar that low, it wont completely crash, doesn't work for me.

I am reading some worrying things in other threads and so for me it is not yet ready for use.

Thanks for the input guys,.

Sorry, I didn't mean to set the bar that low. I started with Original Beta release, so it's been a very long trek to get where we are today.

Well, you should download and install it, and start learning it to convert your custom strategies. Verify in Playback-market replay they are working as expected in NT8.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Barry Milan, Today, 10:35 PM
          1 response
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
          Started by WeyldFalcon, 12-10-2020, 06:48 PM
          14 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Handclap0241