Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RFE: Day granularity market reply?

Hi,

I would like to practice using market replay, but I don't plan to trade tick by tick or even intra-day. So I was wondering why I can't practice against historical data, which already has all the bars I need. Currently, I "practice" by running my strategy against historical data, and poring over the strategy analyzer chart to try to project myself to that day, trying to guess how I might have felt if I were watching that latest bar freshly and not knowing what would happen next. This is surprisingly hard to do with the hindsight I already have.

I suppose that fundamentally, I don't understand why NT has to collect the market data and play it back in real-time when the historical data is just sitting there at the data provider's DB--and you have no problem using it in the strategy analyzer and chart display. For someone who plans to trade on a day timescale, the market reply seems to be an overkill. But then again, maybe the majority of the traders trade based on tick-by-tick chart. So I am wondering if I am missing something...

-Henry

Your observations are valid. The Market Replay is more geared towards traders who watch it tick-by-tick. It allows them the ability to forward test there strategies in a realistic manner without needing the market to be live.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

It depends on how you're practicing.

If you're using a DOM (depth of market) display, the market replay data must be used as the historical data isn't enough to drive it.

However, I suspect the historical data would be enough for the chart trader if it were designed to work this way.

Comment

We have a Market Replay functionality which is *NOT* to be confused with Bar Replay. What's the difference?

- Market Replay replays multiple markets in unison and in full synchronization with each other
        - Market Replay requires all market data events, ask, bid price and volume as well as level 2 depth
        - To the NinjaTrader core, replay is no different than a real-time connection to a broker or data feed and thus the all aspects of the application function as if it were real-time. This includes are simulation engine

You can't get the above with just historical OHLC data.
        RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Jon17, Today, 04:33 PM
        0 responses
        1 view
        0 likes
        Last Post Jon17
        by Jon17

Started by Javierw.ok, Today, 04:12 PM