Feedback on Ninjatrader's trading hours functionality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feedback on Ninjatrader's trading hours functionality

I'm loving the Ninjatrader platform so far, but I wanted to give some feedback on Trading Hours as I think this is something that could be improved.

- Trading hours in Ninjatrader are linked to a chart window, and not an instrument. This means that if I'm looking at ES on the "CME US Index Futures RTH" Trading hours template, and then I switch to another instrument e.g AUDUSD, the new Instrument is using the old trading hours template. I don't think this makes any sense; it should switch back to "Default Trading Hours" when you change instrument.

- The trading hours list is HUGE (I think mine's about 115, although I added a few of my own). So in scenarios like above when I need to change the template (I seem to switch trading hours MANY times per day), its a very long list to scroll through to find the correct one. I'd say there's probably only 4 or 5 maximum that I actually use. I'm considering deleting all the others tbh to make it quicker. But what if I need one someday, so not sure. Given this list is so huge, I think it would be better to have 'Favourites' or 'recently-used' trading hours grouped at the top of the list to make it really quick to find the ones you need most often. Or the ability to disable them so the ones you don't use won't show in the menu.

- Changing trading hours is pretty long-winded. Presently its 5 or 6 clicks: (right click chart menu, choose data series, click trading hours menu, scroll through trading hours list, choose current trading hours template, push ok.) Yet you can change Instrument, Timeframe, Bars type from the toolbar in two clicks. I think a small icon beside the "bars type" icon on the toolbar that opens the trading hours list would make it super quick to change Trading Hours especially when combined with something like a "favourites" or "recently used" list too. It doesn't need to be a visible menu like instrument or timeframe is on the toolbar as the trading hours text is too long anyway so an icon for this on the toolbar would be enough and give a super quick way to change trading hours in 2 clicks.

- Usually I'm flipping between only two Templates per instrument. For example Its usually "CME US Index Futures RTH" or "CME US Index Futures ETH" for ES NQ YM. Presently Instruments have a "Default Trading Hours Template". If they also had a "Secondary Trading Hours Template". It could be made even easier to flip between the two; just a button click. There could be a TH1 button on the toolbar, and if you click it the trading hours flip to secondary and the button changes to TH2.

Hope you don't mind me giving this feedback. I'm not trying to criticize but this is just something that I many times per day I say to myself "I wish this was a bit easier". So wanted to share my thoughts.

Thanks for the feedback! We always appreciate constructive feedback and suggestions. Many of the great features that are different/new in NinjaTrader 8 are due to user feedback like you've provided.

I am submitting 3 feature requests to the Development Team on your behalf:

1.) Option to have trading hours template reset to default when the chart instrument is switched (SFT-3411)

2.) Trading Hours templates favorites list (SFT-1776)

3.) Hotkey to switch trading hours templates (this one encompasses your third and fourth paragraphs) (SFT-2386)

A faster (2-click) method of switching trading hours templates would be:
    • CTRL+F (Opens Data Series window)
    • Left click to access trading hours list
    • Left click to select desired template (use mouse scroll wheel to move up and down the list)
    • Enter on your keyboard
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 08-07-2018, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Hello kevinenergy,
      Wow, refreshing to find a like-minded trader.
      I've been ploughing this furrow with trading hours and wanting ETH and RTH, not either/or for a loooong time.

A couple of suggestions (mine are always intended to be constructive)....
      - 1st feature request: are you sure when switching instrument reverting to Default template is the way to go, rather than reverting to 'Use Instrument Settings' for the newly chosen instrument?
      - your last paragraph: not sure of your broader purpose in wanting to see ETH and RTH for the same instrument but I do too and have had to make Hurculean efforts to overcome the Ninja position that Users requested to NOT be able to do this (a mis-interpretation of what traders want imho).
      In case you don't know and it could be of help to you - NT8 allows you to put 2 Data Series in the same chart panel. So, if you like, you can add one NQ with an ETH Trading Hours template, and one NQ with an RTH trading hours template. You can then do whatever you want to each separately displaying on the same chart. For example, you can have the High and Low of the ETH and RTH hours both displaying.

The path has been tortuous, but it works well.
      In case it's helpful.

Kind regards,
      Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
        Thanks for the feedback! We always appreciate constructive feedback and suggestions. Many of the great features that are different/new in NinjaTrader 8 are due to user feedback like you've provided.

I am submitting 3 feature requests to the Development Team on your behalf:

1.) Option to have trading hours template reset to default when the chart instrument is switched (SFT-3411)

2.) Trading Hours templates favorites list (SFT-1776)

3.) Hotkey to switch trading hours templates (this one encompasses your third and fourth paragraphs) (SFT-2386)

A faster (2-click) method of switching trading hours templates would be:
        • CTRL+F (Opens Data Series window)
        • Left click to access trading hours list
        • Left click to select desired template (use mouse scroll wheel to move up and down the list)
        • Enter on your keyboard
        Add my vote too please

Comment

TraderYoda, I've added your votes to SFT-3411, SFT-1776, and SFT-2386

Comment

Patrick - many thanks for submitting these to the developers. Wasn't expecting it to get submitted straight away or have so much support from the community.

Comment

Bruce - yeah you're right about the first point, I meant "Use Instrument settings" rather than the default template.

I tried putting both data series in the same chart panel, but I couldn't see how this helps any. I'm guessing I'm doing it wrong, can you give me a screenshot of how its supposed to look?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Creamers, 09-08-2023, 10:26 AM
              6 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post JonyGurt  
              Started by funk10101, Today, 08:14 AM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse