Trading Computer Hijacked to Mine Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trading Computer Hijacked to Mine Cryptocurrency

My trading computer has been configured and tuned for performance and it typically runs at less than 10% CPU during the trading day. Recently, I checked the Windows Task Manager and saw that it was running continuously in the high 50s. Checking which process was using the CPU showed that it was the FireFox browser. FireFox was also using an extraordinary amount of memory. After closing FireFox, the CPU usage dropped back to 7%.

I have several most frequently used websites tabbed in my homepage. Rather than isolating the website with all the resource usage, did quick web search and found reports of website owners now using cryptocurrency mining scripts to use the CPU power of the visitors for earning profits. Since they didn't ask my permission, I consider that stealing my CPU and memory.

A little more reading showed that this theft has caused blocking browser addins to be created and made available. Downloaded and installed crypto blockers for FireFox and Chrome. CPU usage has returned to normal levels.

There are many web articles on this subject. This one, fossbytes.com/block-cryptocurrency-mining-in-browser/, describes the problem and 6 blockers for various browsers.

To check CPU usage and Process resource usage on a Windows Computer use the Windows Task Manager. Hold down ALT+CTRL+DEL key then select Task Manager. Performance Tab displays resource usage charts. Process Tab displays resource usage by running process.

I believe that the takeaways from the article should be:

1) Some websites are now crypto-mining and it is gaining popularity.

2) Install extensions for your browser(s) that block cryptocurrency mining. A non-mining website could start mining tomorrow. With extensions installed now it won't matter later.

Could not find a more appropriate place for this information. Because of it potential impact on trading with NT, perhaps NT should send this information to all subscribers.
    Last edited by Jim W.; 03-17-2018, 09:56 AM. Reason: Added takeaways

Jim W.,

Thanks for posting and raising your concerns.

While this isn't an item that NinjaTrader has seen or received widespread reports of, we're happy to keep this thread open for other users to leave feedback.

We're also happy to submit any Feature Requests regarding this item to the Development Team for further investigation.
    Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Please isolate

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by RubenCazorla, Today, 09:07 AM
      2 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
      Started by i019945nj, 12-14-2023, 06:41 AM