Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Complete removal of old accounts and sim accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complete removal of old accounts and sim accounts

Hi, I have removed and restarted NT old sim accounts etc. When going to the data Options and Simulation the accounts are gone. However, when I go to activate a Strategy and do other things to select a account all of the old accounts are still there (including old live accounts) as options to select from. How do I get rid of every account I don't need in the list?

Hello,

Do you see these accounts in the Account Performance tab?

Can you please go to (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 7\templates\Strategy and check to see if there are any .xml files with the strategy name? If so, please try deleting this file and restart NinjaTrader.

Please let me know if these accounts are still listed.
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Same problem here with a Phantom Account

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post
      Hello,

Do you see these accounts in the Account Performance tab?

Can you please go to (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 7\templates\Strategy and check to see if there are any .xml files with the strategy name? If so, please try deleting this file and restart NinjaTrader.

Please let me know if these accounts are still listed.
      I have the same problem as birdog did and I did what you said above (I had some .XML files in there and deleted them) but I still have an old demo account that somehow still appears in the drop down list. It is not under Options--> Simulator--< Accounts but it can be found under Options--> Data--> Account Groups. The phantom account also shows up in teh Account Performance Tab as an available account to select.

How can I completely get rid of this phantom account?

Thanks

Comment

In your case, the only way to clear these old account is to recreate our database.

Please rename your database with the following steps :
        • Shutdown NinjaTrader and Go to the Start Menu
        • Select My Documents--> NinjaTrader 7--> DB--> NinjaTrader.SDF.
        • Right click on NinjaTrader.SDF and select "Rename." *Name it "OLDNinjaTrader.SDF."
        • Then restart the software and NinjaTrader will create a fresh database file to use
        • Unfortunately the following items stored in the old database will be lost – ATM Strategy templates, Session templates, Instrument Lists / Custom Instruments and historical trade execution data

To prevent running into situations where you can potentially lose important data, we advise to run regular backups via our inbuild backup feature in NinjaTrader - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...up_archive.htm

Comment

.SDF Database file corruption - ALL THE TIME!!!

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post
          In your case, the only way to clear these old account is to recreate our database.

Please rename your database with the following steps :
          • Shutdown NinjaTrader and Go to the Start Menu
          • Select My Documents--> NinjaTrader 7--> DB--> NinjaTrader.SDF.
          • Right click on NinjaTrader.SDF and select "Rename." *Name it "OLDNinjaTrader.SDF."
          • Then restart the software and NinjaTrader will create a fresh database file to use
          • Unfortunately the following items stored in the old database will be lost – ATM Strategy templates, Session templates, Instrument Lists / Custom Instruments and historical trade execution data

To prevent running into situations where you can potentially lose important data, we advise to run regular backups via our inbuild backup feature in NinjaTrader - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...up_archive.htm
          NinjaTrader_Matthew - This answer was unfortunately what I feared I would get, and thus I have come to know this as theBIGGEST PROBLEM with Ninjatrader7.

I cannot scream at the top of my lungs any louder the FACT that Ninjatrader is NOT a stable platform to rely on for day to day trading. I say this from 4+ years of LIVE trading execution with Ninjatrader7 single and multi-broker license - and I am NOT a happy customer.

I cannot even begin to explain all the problems that occur from the .SDF Database file getting corrupted - HOW many times it does get corrupted, and the total lack of a solution by Ninjatrader to correct the problem - which has persisted for YEARS! I have had my database file corrupted at least 10 times over the last 1 year - you can reference Patrick on this as he has dealt with my cases over the years.

I have been FORCED to re-do EVERYTHING that was in the Database file every time which can take DAYS each time. This is something that should be done 1 time, and that should be it. This makes me regret switching from Esignal to Ninjatrader in the first place - Esignal was stable no DB file problems EVER - but that is all I get with Ninjatrader7 constantly - .SDF DB file corruption all the time or data not being displayed, and it kills my trading time. Ninjatrader7 is more of a nuisance than a trading platform to rely on anymore.

You should have the ability to save the Instrument Lists and custom Instruments you set up to be savedoutside the database so that WHEN the .SDF file gets corrupted the user does not have to spend alot of time re-doing everything they previously did. I have done this countless times and the Backup/Restore DOES NOT WORK when the .SDF is corrupted. It will just restore a corrupt .sdf file, Ninjascript Strategies that previously worked will get Errors stating
          Unable to create instance of class 'NinjaTrader.Strategy.WhateverStrategyNameIs.' Most likely there is no default constructor defined, or the default constructor does not work correctly. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
          , I basically had to remove/delete over 75 strategies that I had written in the Strategy Wizard for Ninjatrader7 to work again without giving me 75 different errors every time I tried to load a strategy. I even got this error with indicators that I bought from Indicator Warehouse!!! All because the .SDF DB file got corrupted somehow.

The .SDF Database file corruption is the SOURCE of 99% of the problems with Ninjatrader7 - YOU NEED TO ADDRESS THIS ASAP! Doing what you said above, while temporarily fixing the problem, leads the user to more problems because the root cause of the issue is NOT BEING ADDRESSED - .SDF DB file CORRUPTION !!! FIX THIS!

Yes, I am angry, angry that I am still dealing with this SAME issue after YEARS of having it and complaining about it.

-Brian

Also, see attatche pic for missing VX chart data that cannot be loaded after - redownloading data, re-booting, or restoring Ninjatrader. Data is missing between 1/16/2013 and today's date.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BrianL; 02-01-2013, 12:25 PM. Reason: adding pic

Comment

Brian,

I appreciate your feedback in this area and I completely understand your concern.

Our development team is aware of the number of issues that arise in this database and we have been actively looking into ways to improve this in the next major release. I really do not have any information I can share on this topic at this moment, but I can assure you that this is a concern for us as well and we would like more than anything to have this issues eliminated.

I have passed your comments and thoughts on how this can be improved to our development and they will be reviewed during discussions on how we can improve this area.

Regading your VX chart, can you please clarify who you are connected to for data?

As a test, can you please go to Tools--> Instrument Manager--> locate the VX and select "Edit" and then set the "merge policy" to "DoNotMerge"

After this is set, please try reloading the VX data -- does it backfill for this period now?

Comment

daily VX data missing on chart

NinjaTrader_Matthew,

While setting the VX merge setting to "Do Not Merge" fixed the bar updating issue. However now my Daily VX chart is missing ALL previous data prior to 8/28/2012. Before I used to have all VX data going back years, now it's gone?

Missing all that data severely screws up all my indicators like Moving avgs, Donchain, etc. What do I do now to get it back?

-Brian
              Attached Files
              Last edited by BrianL; 02-11-2013, 01:33 PM. Reason: adding attachment

Comment

Brian,

Thanks for checking this and confirming - I've forwarded this to product development to review so I apologize for the delay in my response.

For your daily charts you can load the continuous VX ##-## chart and you will get the history you are looking for.

In the meantime, we are looking to have a fix for this contract in the next release of NinjaTrader. I do not have an ETA on this at this time, but we are hoping it will be out shortly.

Comment

Connection Forcibily Closed by Remote Host.

NinjaTrader_Matthew,

I noticed something today that had been happening before when my charts messed up. I got the following Error message at around 3:17am that says:

"Connection to Ninjatrader historical market data server lost: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host."

Whenever I get this message I notice that my charts and Market analyzer do not update correctly(example SLV was not reporting at all, just stuck at 29.88 for hours today ) and I seem to always have problems after getting this error message.

When I got the error message I was conencted to CQG, TT, and Kinetick thru IQFeed simultaneously. I've gotten this error before and it seems to happen randomly, usually always late at night. From having it happen more than once I think it is a Kinetick issue since only stock symbols I pull from Kinetick don't update after I get this error, futures update fine since I pull that data from CQG or TT, but not stock symbols I pull from Kinetick. I have to shut down Ninja completely, and re-connect - usually doing this about 2-3 times before the quotes begin to update correctly - all mid-trading day when I am doing this.

I'm just wondering why I'm being "forcibly removed" when I should be connected continuously? What am I being removed for?

Basically all I want to do is open Ninjatrader on Sunday night at 6pm EST, connect to all my brokers and data feeds, and have it be continuously connected until I shut my computer down on Friday at 5:15pm EST. Yet, I have never been able to run a full week without having some sort of problem where I have to shut Ninjatrader down completely. This is 4+years running live now, and not once have I been able to run a full week without an interruption of some sort.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by BrianL; 02-13-2013, 04:45 PM.

Comment

At 3:17AM this morning, we had issues with our NinjaTader historical data servers and preventing all users from connecting.

We're currently on a redundant server and you should be able to reconnect to the server as about 5:20AM this morning.

That would explain what happened this morning and it may happen if you're connected during the weekends as we do maintenance.

Regarding your stock data not updated, do you see any disconnects from Kinetick this morning? Or was it just the NinjaTrader historical data servers?

If you see this again moving forward, can you please just try reselecting another instrument that is not udpating, rather than restarting? If you can resume the data just be reselecting, this will give us a better idea of what is happening.

Comment

Ok thanks, that would explain the late night disconnect error message. However, I was not reconnected to the historical data server until 7:33:51am EST(screen shot). Don't know if that makes a difference but I figured I'd mention it.

Weekends I can understand maintenance, that's fine, I usually shut down Friday after the close anyways. It's just intra-day/week having to restart because of one thing or another that's killing me. Today there was a good 3 hours that SLV for example just stopped updating. The only way I could get it back was to restart Ninjatrader. No forced disconnect from Kinetick in the Log.

Today alone I was down and had to restart at:
                      1:37-1:40pm
                      and at
                      2:57-3:07pm

and I was in positions at both times. Changing symbols didn't work, it actually made the new symbol that I had switched to stop updating in the Chart and Market Analyzer. Now 2 symbols weren't updating, I was just switching between SLV, GLD, and the VX 03-13 futures contract. VX was updating fine everytime I switched to it, but for some reason SLV and GLD or any other stock would not update when I switched the chart to that new symbol. It would pull the day's data up to that point no problem, but anything after that point would be stuck at that price and not update. I verified it just by Googling the SLV or GLD at the time I thought it froze and price was off. So to get it back I just re-started Ninjatrader. That worked but it was annoying to have to do so when in a position, twice.

Now I may have been over my 100 Symbol count limit by 3-4 symbols, but GLD and SLV are some of my main symbols and basically should never stop updating, they are even in my Default Symbol List, where I only have like 20 symbols. I can understand if they were the 101st-105th stock I added into my Market Analyzer and they didn't update - THAT I would totally understand, and correct that by removing some symbols until I was under my limit.

But seeing as how GLD and SLV are both within the top 50 rows on my Market Analyzer mixed in with Futures and Index symbols, and I am always switching to them - they should always be updating, and on many occassions like today they just stop.

It is random the days that it does happen, but I've tended to notice that I have these symbol updating issues on days when there is a

"Connection to Ninjatrader historical market data server lost: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host" error. It's just an observation maybe it will help narrow it down.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by BrianL; 02-13-2013, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Sorry, I mean to say 7:20am Eastern. I'm in mountain time and confused those times... The error you're finding in your logs is in line with what every other user experienced who was connected to the historical data server yesterday and would not affect your IQFeed connection.

I'm suspecting you're hitting the symbol limit. The order in which you've added the symbols does not set a priority for the data. We have no control over when Kinetick is going to send data for these symbols.

I'd suggest either reducing the number of symbols you're loading and keeping track of these, or increasing your symbol limit through Kinetick.

Comment

NinjaTrader_Matthew,

I just had another day where within a span of 10-15 mins I was booted 3 times from the Ninjatrader Historical Data Server again today. See screen shot.

This is mid-trading day again. Did you guys have errors at these times today as well?

Also, had some symbol updating issues with SLV again today after the Historical Data server errors. This time however I was well under my 100 symbol count limit. I was at 97 total symbols, which include Futures and Index symbols from CQG and TT data connections as well.

When it comes to symbol limit, does Kinetick count symbols that you pull from other data providers?

In my case I would say that only 50% of my symbols were pulling data from Kinetick, the rest (Futures) are coming from CQG and TT connections and those symbols should not count whatsoever towards the Kinetick feed symbol count.

The order I connect is CQG, then TT, then Kinetick. Kinetick should basically just be filling in the data gaps that CQG and TT wouldn't fill (in this case stock data). Do you know if Kinetick counts ALL the symbols even if you are pulling the data from another provider first?
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by BrianL; 02-14-2013, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Brian,

We have not had any issues today as we did yesterday.

From your log, you're also getting disconnected from CQG around the same time.

These are two completely separate servers that are in different locations and would tell me there is something either local, or with your ISP that is causing a majority of these timeouts/disconnects.

Comment

NinjaTrader_Matthew,

Here is a prime example of what I am talking about. Just shut down Ninjatrader again, and still no updating on SLV. StaticDom, Market Analyzer are stuck while chart is updating for only a few mins then stops. I only have 97 symbols total on my Workspace, so I'm not over the 100 symbol count limit.

When I switch symbols in the DOM and then go back to SLV the DOM updates like normal, but at first it is stuck, but never does the Market Analyzer update, and eventually the chart stops updating. To get the Market Analyzer to update I have to shut down completly. I seem to have to do this a few times each day when the symbols get stuck like this.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by helpwanted, Today, 03:06 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post helpwanted  
                              Started by Brevo, Today, 01:45 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes