Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

referenced Indicator and fresh values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

referenced Indicator and fresh values

hi, lets say I use:

if( State== State.DataLoaded){

kn = Keltner(12);
    }

OnBarUpdate(){
    kn.Update();
    if (kn.Upper... > ...)

}

should we call "Update()" on included indicator instances, to get the fresh values at first?
    ( because, as i see many NT indicators, doesnt expose dataseries with "Update()", like this:

public Series<double> Upper
    {
    //Update(); //< -- - this is missing from NT built-in indicators, that's why i thought we should call it manually in our indis while calling NT indis
    get upper;
    }

Hello TazoTodua,

Thanks for opening the thread.

When creating a Series<T> we sync it to the the underlying data series that the indicator is running off of with new Series<T>(this); Since the data series that the indicator runs on must be supplied by the hosting NinjaScript, these types should be current.

When using public variables of different types, these are not synchronized to the data series, so they may not be current. This is when calling Update() would be advised.

This is noted in the NT7 DataSeries documentation page, and I've requested to have this noted in the NT8 Series<T> documentation page.

NT7 DataSeries - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ries_class.htm

NT8 Series<T> - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...s/?seriest.htm

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
    JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

thanks!
      so, can you tell me the example i.e. for ketlen channel (or any indi),
      How should I call those (Series<> public exposed variables of KeltnerChannels, like "Upper" series)

we should add the instance in DataLoaded state or Configure? and when to Update() ?

are there examples for Series and for different types (not **this** synced).

Comment

Hello TazoTodua,

If you are calling the indicator, you can use the following syntax:

KeltnerChannel(Close, 1.5, 10).Upper[0]

If you are adding an instance of an indicator to the NinjaScript, you can use the syntax below:

MyKeltnerChannel.Upper[0]

As a tip, the Strategy Builder can be used to create condition that checks this plot, and then clicking View Code will show the generated syntax. You can use this to see how the Strategy Builder creates instances of indicators as well.

Since the indicator uses a data series from the hosting NinjaScript, it will be synchronized and you would not need to call Update() in the getter of the child indicator for that plot's Series.

As for additional examples with different types, I have one other example I could share that demonstrates this process with a dictionary. This is the only other example that I have prepared to share. The same concept can be applied to other types.

That thread/example can be found here: https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...d.php?t=108778
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_Jim; 04-12-2018, 03:53 PM.
        JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by bmartz, 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM
        4 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post bmartz
        by bmartz

Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
        4 responses