Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Failed to find visual studio installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed to find visual studio installation

When I press the "Open project in visual studio" button at the ninja script editor I get a "Failed to find visual studio installation" error, altough I have a VS 2008 installed.

Thanks

Hello kiss987,

Thank you for the post.

If you have 2008 set as your default for opening the .csproj file, it technically should work but this may be too old of a version for NinjaTrader to detect automatically to know it is installed. Generally we would suggest using a newer VS installation such as 2015 or 2017, both have free community editions if you dont want to upgrade a license you have already.

If you want to try to manually use the project in 2008, you can try opening the project: Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\NinjaTrader.Custom.csproj. Once the project is open, please first test if the auto compile is working my modifying an indicator and Saving. This should trigger NinjaTrader to compile as long as the NinjaScript editor is open, if it does not I would suggest updating your visual studio.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

Upgrading to VS2017 solved the problem.

On NT7 after editing my code on visual studio, it was needed to compile the code at the ninja script editor in order to make the changes take effect. Is that needed on NT8 as well?

Comment

Hello kiss987,

Thank you for the post.

In NT7 it was never fully supported to use visual studio so you do need to keep a Stock indicator open such as the ADL and compile from there. The setup of the VS .csproj for NT7 was also important to correct the references and add and custom items needed to the project. I had created a video on this which you can find here: http://www.screencast.com/t/eH7y5cedlzh

In NT8 if you have the NinjaScript editor open, it will compile when Saving files from VS or dropping files into the custom folders. If the NinjaScript editor was not open, you would need to open it and compile to see changes.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
        JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

NT8 (Custom path/folder installation) with Visual Studio 2022 Community edition installed (default paths) on Win11 OS - still getting this error - need help...

Comment

Hello WattMan,

The current version of NinjaTrader 8 (Release 25) supports Visual Studio 2019 as the latest supported version of Visual Studio. Support for Visual Studio 2022 will be added in Release 26.

Please note that we cannot offer an ETA on release schedules.
            JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jim View Post
              Hello WattMan,

The current version of NinjaTrader 8 (Release 25) supports Visual Studio 2019 as the latest supported version of Visual Studio. Support for Visual Studio 2022 will be added in Release 26.

Please note that we cannot offer an ETA on release schedules.
              Is there a way to link the NT8 debug application (manually) to VS2022 till Release 26?

Comment

Hello WattMan,

You can open the Visual Studio project file from the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\ folder manually, and attach the debugger manually. The same instructions can be followed from our Visual Studio Debugging guide, except that you will need to open the project file on your own instead of using the Visual Studio button.

JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
                7 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                Started by AttiM, 02-14-2024, 05:20 PM
                10 responses
                0 likes