Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seagate Backup Drive

Hello,

I have a backup drive that I'd like to use for my trading computer however I don't want the headaches that One Drive gave me.

The problem with One Drive is that it took ownership of the folders such as documents where as the Seagate backup just backs up the contents.

If I use this will it conflict with NT (as far as accessing the same files)?

Thanks.

Hello Segwin,

Yes, if the Documents folder or the NinjaTrader folder within Documents is being backed up by any syncing service this will interfer with NinjaTrader.

Syncing software will watch the filesystem for changes, lock the files to prevent modifications while uploading, and then upload the modified files to an online location.

NinjaTrader constantly and continuously changes files (the cache and historical data are constantly being written and re-written). These changes trigger syncing software to lock the files and then upload the changed files.

If OneDrive is backing up NinjaTrader files at the same time that NinjaTrader needs to use the file, an error can occur and can cause NinjaTrader to crash completely.

I would recommend making a backup of your Documents folder contents on your desktop and then either disabling OneDrive completely, or ensuring the NinjaTrader settings folder within Documents is not included in the automatic backup.

OneDrive may remove your files when disabled.
    Its best to make a backup of the Documents folder contents before unlinking OneDrive. (I suggest before unlinking OneDrive to copy or move the contents of the Documents folder to a new folder on the Desktop.)

Below are a few publicly available links to instructions for disabling one drive.

How to exclude individual folders from OneDrive:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/222817/how-...in-windows-10/

How to disable OneDrive on Windows 10:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-in-windows-10

After disabling OneDrive, restart your computer.

After restarting move the files from the new folder on the Desktop back to the Documents folder.

Then uninstall and re-install NinjaTrader so NT knows the new path to the settings folder.

In older versions of NinjaTrader, this may cause the path to referenced assembly files to be incorrect. The references to NinjaTrader.Vendor.dll and for any 3rd party addons may need to be removed and then re-added with the new location to the Documents folder.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 03-26-2020, 07:31 AM.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by Mizzouman1, Today, 07:35 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post Mizzouman1  
    Started by i019945nj, 12-14-2023, 06:41 AM
    6 responses
    0 likes