Buying Power and the Sim Account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Power and the Sim Account

I'm planning a trading scenario in which multiple strategies run simultaneously, each polling the account for available buying power before placing entry orders.
    From what I gather ( http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...ad.php?t=17740 ), NT 6.5 cannot directly access account information like buying power.
    To the contrary, I have been able to poll the Sim account's current buying power using something I found from another forum thread:
    Code:
    ((AccountItem) Account.GetAccountItem(Cbi.AccountItemType.BuyingPower, Cbi.Currency.Unknown)).Value
    Would this work for a real brokerage account, or whatever account happens to be in use at the time ?

Concerning the Sim account, taking a short position actually increases the reported buying power (and the cash value, and the excess equity). This is problematic in that held short positions would overstate uncommitted capital and cause other strategies in my scenario to believe there is more available to them than there really is. The Sim account also allows the buying power to go into negative values. Are these behaviors idiosyncratic of the Sim account, or would any brokerage account act like this ? If they all do this, how would one know when the account is "out of buying power" ?

This is not supported. NT7 will provide a method for you to do this.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

What about shose Sim account behaviors (eg: short positions increase buying power, and buying power is allowed to go into negative values) ?

Comment

Shogun,

Unfortunately I would not be able to comment on the behavior here. This is unsupported properties you are accessing and what you see is what you get when using those.

Comment

Sorry, allow me to clarify...

Those behaviors aren't what is reflected in returned values of the unsupported property I identified, they are what appear directly in the 'Accounts' tab of the NT Control Center, in the 'Buying Power', 'Cash Value', and 'Excess Equity' columns.

Short positions increase buying power, and excessive long positions can push it into negative territory. Is this normal ?

Comment

Shogun,

Could be the case. If it were a real account you would likely get a margin call at that point in time.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:53 AM
            0 responses
            1 view
            0 likes
            Last Post CortexZenUSA  
            Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:46 AM
            0 responses