Collapse

pre and post market data to display on my charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So changing the time interval in the drop-down selector will keep both data series.

What if I change the ticker symbol by drop down or by typing directly into the window?

Thanks.

Comment

I'm getting some funky results trying this (see images)

The price axis on the left and right are not matching

the candles are not overlying correctly

the ETH candles are appearing in the RTH section (but not vice versa)

the Repeater indicator is now highlighting RTH hours instead of ETH

Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

Correct, adjusting the interval will update both, and not remove either data series.

Changing the instrument using the drop down menu will affect the primary (first) data series if the two you have configured are different instruments. If they are already the same instrument, selecting an alternative in the drop down menu will update both data series.

Similarly, typing directly on the chart to update the instrument will adjust both if they are already the same, or only the primary one if there are different instruments selected.

Please let us know if we may assist you further.
        Cody D.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

your response came just after my latest post so you may not have seen it

Thanks

Comment

Hello Irukandji,

Thank you for your update.

The axis on each side are manually adjustable. They are showing slightly different values because the one the right side of your screen is more condensed than the other. They can be manually adjusted by left clicking and dragging on each axis.

Please note, the axis is assigned to each data series via the 'scale justification' setting, and manually adjusting these will also expand or condense the data series display to which it is assigned. If you wish for these to both be based on the same Y-axis, please adjust the scale justification for both to the same setting. This is an option under the data series menu. The scale justification is also likely why the candles are slightly different as one axis is currently a little more expanded than the other.

ETH hours include the full 24 hour session, so it is expected for them to plot during all hours, where as the RTH hours only includes the daily session, which in this case is 9:30-4:00 PM EST. Due to this, the candles for the RTH hours will be absent from the after hours period on the chart.

Under the repeater indicator settings, there is an option for 'Input' series which allows you to specify the data series item to which this indicator is applied. From the affect you are experiencing, it is likely the current data series selected for this indicator is the one to which you have applied only RTH hours, meaning it is only highlighting the RTH because nothing else is included in this data series. Please try adjusting the indicator input series option to the alternative data series selection and check if you experience the same.

Comment

OK that makes sense.

But in the Data Series - Trading Hours - there are many options. Example default 24 x 7 which I was using before to show the ETH.

But then I changed to using "US Equities ETH" and "US Equities RTH" - but you're saying the ETH also includes the regular trading hours?

It would suit me to have one that shows 09:30 - 16:00 and another that ONLY shows 16:00 - 09:30.

But this is not possible?

So how do I ensure that my candles are coloured correctly?

For example, green up and red down for RTH, and white up and blue down for ETH hours only.

If I colour the ETH candles white and blue then "overlay" the red and green RTH candles on top, they should show up only during RTH hours and will cover the blue and white candles of the ETH, right? But how can I achieve this?

Thanks.

PS - also, as I scrub my mouse along the timeline, the time only updates during the RTH. For the ETH, it just shows 16:00 all the way until it changes to 09:30
              Last edited by Irukandji; 09-19-2018, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Hello Irukandji,

Thank you for your response.

The display you wish to achieve in which one data series only shows the after hours data instead of including the full day (as ETH settings do) can be configured by creating a custom Trading Hours template. This can be done by going to the Control Center > Tools > Trading hours.

Select 'add' at the bottom to create a new template. I have attached a screenshot of what a basic Trading Hours template will look like if you wish to include ONLY the ETH hours. In this case, I included the weekend as well, though this is not necessary if you do not wish to do so.

After you have created your Trading Hours template you will find it available to select for your data series trading hours setting in the Data Series menu for your chart. This will ensure there is no overlap of the candles as only those within the parameters of your template will display.
                Attached Files

Comment

I don't know if I do need the weekend - I have no idea if stocks trade after hours during weekends.

What does the EOD button even mean really?

It keeps telling me I can't have two EODs on the same day but then says I MUST select at least one EOD!

What I probably need is after market on Friday and pre-market on Monday.

How would I do that?

Thanks.

PS - also, as I scrub my mouse along the timeline, the time only updates during the RTH. For the ETH, it just shows 16:00 all the way until it changes to 09:30
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hello Irukandji,

The weekend is not included in the US Equities RTH hours, but minimal trading does occur over the weekend hours. If you wish to include all trades possible in your ETH trading hours template, it will be best to include the weekends. Otherwise, the general pre / after market hours for the NASDAQ are from 4:00 AM - 9:30 AM and from 4:00 PM - 9:00 PM EST.

The EOD (end of day) marks the end of the trading session. Generally this will be a 1 per day item, for which I specified the 9:30 AM time for my template (defaults to this time since this was the specified end of all the trading sessions I created).

The ETH hours by default will display less specific times along the X-axis due to the manner in which the after hours data is compiled since there is less trade data to include. To view the more specific times, click and drag the mouse to the left to expand the X-axis. The additional times between will display as it widens.

Comment

Hi

Then all I need is the post-market on Friday and the pre-market on Monday morning. I can accept a little gap between the two if there is any.

So any idea which settings I would need for that?

Thanks.

Comment

Here is a screen-grab of NFLX 5 min chart with repeater indicator added.

Here you can see some errors with the timeline - it switches to 09:35 at about 19:00 on the timeline?

Also, the repeater is showing from 16:00 one day all the way to 16:00 the next day!

It's only supposed to be on from 16:00 - 09:30

As for the timeline, it's always there, it's always fixed. So why doesn't the "local" pointer with vertical line report back the correct time, updated as I scroll? It should be getting its input from the fixed timeline?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hello Irukandji,

EOD stands for End of Day. This is referring to the break in the daily trading session. For normal NASDAQ trading hours, this will be 4:00 PM EST.

An end of day is required for the break in any trading session. If your trading session is a full 24 hours (such as 4:01 PM EST - 4:00 PM EST the following day), the end of day will still be specified for 4:00 PM. In the event you are configuring one for only the after hours trading, your end of day should be set as 9:30 AM EST, as this is when normal trading hours resume for these instruments.

If you just need pre and post market, you will want to specify your trading sessions as between 4:00 AM - 9:30 AM EST for pre market and from 4:00 PM - 9:00: PM post market.

By default, the ETH hours on the chart are more condensed due to lesser data being present for this time period. By left clicking and dragging the cursor on the X-axis, you can expand the display and see more specific times.

Comment

This doesn't actually answer any of my questions!

I know what EOD stands for lol

"Then all I need is the post-market on Friday and the pre-market on Monday morning. I can accept a little gap between the two if there is any."

^^^^^ This please

"Here you can see some errors with the timeline - it switches to 09:35 at about 19:00 on the timeline?"

^^^^ what about this?

"As for the timeline, it's always there, it's always fixed. So why doesn't the "local" pointer with vertical line report back the correct time, updated as I scroll? It should be getting its input from the fixed timeline?"

^^^^ this has not been satisfactorily addressed. The timeline scrubber should ALWAYS show correct timer if the scrubber gets its input times from the time line which is ALREADY FULLY VISIBLE

Comment

Hello Irukandji,

Please forgive the confusion regarding the previous response. I inadvertently responded to your previous question twice rather than your more recent one.

There is not a Trading Hours template pre loaded which contains only the pre and post NASDAQ market hours. If you wish to create a Trading Hours Template for ETH hours which is only the Pre Market and Post Market NASDAQ hours, you will want to specify your trading sessions as between 4:00 AM - 9:30 AM EST for pre market and from 4:00 PM - 9:00: PM post market. You may need to specify two per day, for which it will be best to specify your EOD as the 9:30 AM one.

Regarding the repeater indicator, it is likely the full hours are showing because the alternative data series is selected for the indicator's Input series setting. The suggestion to apply multiple data series was intended as a work around rather than to be used simultaneously with this indicator. This said, you can certainly use both at once, but it will likely be best to disable the repeater indicator until you have the Trading hours configured as you wish to them to be for each of your data series, then add the repeater.

The discrepancies you are seeing in the time line are likely due to the variance in the settings applied to the multiple data series. Multiple data series which are configured with different Trading Hours will affect the display. If the primary (first) data series in the chart window does not include the extended hours, the time which displays with the cursor may only update to reflect the hours of the RTH sessions. To resolve this, you only need to select the data series with the ETH as the primary one. To do so, left click on the data series on your chart so it is selected, right click and select 'Set as primary series'.

Comment

I'm simply going to revert to using Default 24/7 on all charts and just add the Repeater Indicator.

Far from perfect but better than all the headache of trying to make dual data series work with other ideas.

Now I notice a new problem! (image attached)

Here is a 1 min chart of NFLX.

Due to some massive buy order in pre-market, there was a huge volume spike.

The volume indicator on my chart has foolishly tried to fit the entire bar into the panel. So look what it does to the normal trading volume in RTH today.

And that's with the panel expanded to take up half the screen!

Doh!

Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by gravdigaz6, Today, 11:40 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post gravdigaz6  
                                Started by MarianApalaghiei, Today, 10:49 PM
                                3 responses