Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

need volatility indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need volatility indicator

Need an indicator(s) which measures volatility and/or can indicate that volatility will pick up or slow down. Sometimes markets move and sometimes they don't. As we all know, choppy sideways action can be a killer. On my charts I like to see jagged mountain tops and deep valleys. Which indicators should I use?
    Last edited by renkoben; 12-18-2010, 04:43 AM. Reason: typo

renkoben, what indicators have you tried so far? There are many indicators that show volatility, so maybe you can just start trying them out and seeing what you like best.
    AustinNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I can't make chaikin volatiltiy work
      Maybe DM (Directional movement) when ADX is below di-/di+, don't trade, but this is not great
      Maybe DM when ADX goes when both below di+ and Di- and pokes thru one of them. but this is not great.
      WHAT i really think might work is BB width (Low with low volitility) pre- sages a good run to come.
      NT doesn't have a BB width indicator. Guess I'll have to hire a consultant.
      Breakpoint trades uses BB width on the 30 min chart for the S&P and it is good; I'll have to play with that i guess.

just seeing if anyone has better answers.

Comment

renkoben, how isn't the chaikin volatility working?

Unfortunately we can't suggest what indicators might work best for users, but I do have the Bollinger Bandwidth indicator laying around so I've attached it here. We are also technically unable to code out indicators for customers, but like I said this one was already coded and on my computer, so here it is.

To import, download the file then go to Files -> Utilities -> Import NinjaScript then direct it to the file you downloaded.
        Attached Files

Comment

I don't know how to download this. you start pressing the buttons and the word "download" does not exist. my hard drive files are not displayed like before. What happened to "documents" "my documents" I can't find my NT 7 file to put it into and no download button.

I don't know how to navigate rar whatever.

Comment

renkoben, there is no .rar file. I attached a .zip file that you can import directly into NinjaTrader. I'm not sure what happened to your documents folder, but you will need to figure out how to download the file before it can be imported.

If you're signed in to the forum, you might need to hit "accept" for some disclaimer, and then you should be able to download it.

Comment

Hi Fi Austin!

What is the logic behind Bbandwidth indicator?It seems quite a bit different from the similar i`ve got.

Thx

Comment

The main code portion would be -

double bandwidth = Bollinger(BB_StdDev, BB_Period).Upper[0] - Bollinger(BB_StdDev, BB_Period).Lower[0];

So it's substracting the lower from the upper band of the given period and deviation.
                BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Bert,

it seems that i have a code with the same logic,only i have a different scaling measure for that.Why the different scaling measurments?

Thx

Comment

There's no specific scaling added in this indicator, it would plot the direct calculated value.

Comment

But the one i have has an integral number scaling,and yours has a floating number scaling.

Comment

You would need to make sure then to calculate it into a double value.

Comment

It seems that your code has an integral numbers value,so does mine,but mine seems do not oscillate within floating numbers only.

Comment

Then perhaps attach yours so we can take a look...or use the one Austin shared if you like that appearance more.

Comment

Here,please take a look at the attached.

When i plot yours and mind together - same settings, it retains different results.Where is the difference?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by mgco4you, Today, 09:46 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                              Started by wzgy0920, Today, 09:53 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes