Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

UI.xml crashing NinjaTrader after indicator updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Harry,

On item NTEIGHT-12941 we are able to reproduce the error, but we are not able to reproduce the freezing behavior.

Please reproduce the freezing behavior once more and then send an email to platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com so we may request your log and trace files.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Chelsea,

I think you do not need to study any log and trace files.

I have created a simple indicator - a modified ATR - which allows for calculating the ATR as arithmetic, exponential or Wilder's average of the true range. The first version of the indicator v1 uses an enum that may take the values "Simple", "Exponential" or "Wilder".

In the second version of the indicator the enum value "Simple" has been replaced with "Arithmetic. The enum may now take the values "Arithmetic", "Exponential" or "Wilder". There are not other changes than the wording of first the enum value.

To reproduce the issue:

(1) Import indicator version 1
      (2) Add the indicator to a chart. Default setting is "Wilder".
      (3) Now change default setting to "Simple" and save the new setting as "preset" in the lower right corner of the indicator dialogue box.
      (4) Close the chart.
      (5) Import indicator version 2
      (6) Add indicator to any chart and it will throw an undhandled exception.

With the sample indicator attached below, I do not see any freeze of NinjaTrader. It just throws the unhandled XML exception. The new version of the indicator cannot be used.

I might have taken this for a freeze, because the popup cannot be removed. It actually depends on how you try to add the indicator. Please select the testATR indicator and then select "Add" below. Now, if you try to click OK on the popup, this is not possible. Also sometimes the popup will show behind the indicator dialogue box.

NinjaTrader 8 still has a huge problem with managing windows. Often windows hide behind other windows, or popups do not show because the hide behind open windows. Or charts disappear behind the editor after compiling.

Also I had the enum problem occuring with a more complex multi-timeframe indicator. Maybe the freeze only occurs with multi-timeframe indicators. I cannot confirm any genuine freeze with the test indicator below. It is just that v2 does not work. Also there is no way to fix it - other than going back to the old version and restore the default settings.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello Harry,

The other information has been reported and we have generated a tracking ID.

Currently, they were only waiting on reproducing the freezing that I reported with the report. They had tried but were unable to reproduce the freezing. I and development were both able to reproduce the exception messages. It was just the freezing we couldn't reproduce.
        So then this got sent back to me and I spent some time also trying to reproduce the freezing but I was also unable.

However, from what you are telling me you are not experiencing freezing when the exception message occurs, is this correct?

If so, I will update our development.
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 08-11-2018, 10:25 PM.

Comment

With the test indicator attached to post 17 I did not see any freezing.

Will further do some testing with a more complex indicator.

Comment

Hello Harry,

Thank you for updating me about this.

I will assign NTEIGHT-12941 back to our development and let them know we are both not able to reproduce the freezing.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
              Hello Harry,

I will assign NTEIGHT-12941 back to our development and let them know we are both not able to reproduce the freezing.

Let me test the freezing with a more complex indicator again.

This is where the original problem was first detected.

Comment

No freeze

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
                Hello Harry,

I have now tested this with other indicators. There is definitely no freezing.

It is just the error message that pops up behind the indicator dialogue box and behind the chart. Maybe I did not find that error message when I first had observed the problem.

It is just that the affected indicator cannot be added to any chart.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                  Hello Chelsea,

With the sample indicator attached below, I do not see any freeze of NinjaTrader. It just throws the unhandled XML exception. The new version of the indicator cannot be used.

I might have taken this for a freeze, because the popup cannot be removed. It actually depends on how you try to add the indicator. Please select the testATR indicator and then select "Add" below. Now, if you try to click OK on the popup, this is not possible. Also sometimes the popup will show behind the indicator dialogue box.

NinjaTrader 8 still has a huge problem with managing windows. Often windows hide behind other windows, or popups do not show because the hide behind open windows. Or charts disappear behind the editor after compiling.
                  Hi Harry,

Sometimes I do get a hidden "Unhahdled exception.." behind a chart that can not be checked, thus looks like a freeze. The only way I can get out of that freeze-like situation is to use Task Manager and remove Ninja, then restart.

How do you remove (check) those hidden "unhandled exception.." to make Ninja active again? Do you have to stop or shutdown Ninja?

Thanks a bunch.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by PaulMohn, Today, 05:00 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post PaulMohn  
                  Started by ZenCortexAuCost, Today, 04:24 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes