Scaling on 'non' candlestick ChartStyles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scaling on 'non' candlestick ChartStyles

It seems as though the 'scaling' process with regard to minimum bar width, works differently between 'candlestick' and "open/close" Chart Styles....

To see what I am trying to describe, open a chart...(any time frame should work but for this example I used 1 minute).....and set the chart style to "Candlestick".

Now open a second chart ...(use the same time frame as chart 1 above)....and set the chart style to "Open/Close".

Now play with the "Ctrl" + "up key" and/"downkey" and watch how the bars behave on each chart. At various points, use the "ALT" + "upkey" to shrink each chartstyle down to it's minimum size.

The 'candlestick' bars can be shrunk down nicely and tuck into neat, tiny bars...
    The "open/close' chartstyle gets to some minimum, fatter, bar size and refuses to shrink down any more...

This causes....(for me at least)....a quite unhelpful overlap of 'fat bars' on the Open close chart style....as opposed to the smaller and neater 'shrunk' bar widths on the 'candlestick' chart style.

Perhaps this is the way these chartstyles are supposed to behave, but I would really prefer that the "open/close"....(and for that matter Renko)...chartstyles allowed the bar widths to shrink down like "candlestick" when I 'squeeze the chart' to get a longer time period look on the chart.

....(apologies if I did not explain this well....I didn't have time today to make a video)...

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We've heard this feedback a few times before, and we are currently tracking user demand in a feature request, with tracking ID # SFT-756. I'll add another vote to the suggestion for you.
    Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

....(sorry to have put this in the wrong spot.... before posting I did a cursory check for a similar issue, but I either miskeyed a key-word or simply overlooked it in the results).....

As always....thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dave View Post
        Hello,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We've heard this feedback a few times before, and we are currently tracking user demand in a feature request, with tracking ID # SFT-756. I'll add another vote to the suggestion for you.
        I also have an interest in this area...in NT 7 in order to compress a chart to the max, I often scroll back to an area of thin data....then enter the chart time scale on the screen and hit return....this will often compress things a lot....(sometimes helps to go to full screen with this method)....

Now doing this same method with NT 8....the chart does not seem to compress any at all when in a thin area (using replay data 1 day).....compression can be important to see a max time scale on your cart if desired....

Added info.....on 2 roughly sized screen windows on 2 different monitors)...same 22 second tick charts....in NT 8 can see about 40 minutes of data....in NT 7 can see 1 hour 10 minutes of time....
        this could be off a bit from screen resolutions...both 91dpi though....

Edits....false alarm maybe....this time just starting replay in NT 8 again, can see 2 hours 10 minutes data....then restarting a 2nd time can see 1 hour 10 minutes in 8 OHLC chart...switching to a HL chart the bars get very fat and cannot compress....any suggestions on getting max compression (tried Alt Up arrow)...?? ....when switch back to OHLC bars get thin again...

.....Thanks.....
        Last edited by Alfred; 02-17-2016, 10:59 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Bars Way Too Fat in Open/Close Type Charts...

Two screen shots below...

1)...Open / Close chart shows a width of 1 in set-up but the actual width is perhaps 5 or 6 ....
          2)...Candlestick chart with width set to 1 in set-up....

The visual difference is obvious...the Open / Close bars minimum width bars are way too fat. This is a bug and is not something that needs to be voted on to fix by Ninja.

Incidentally... why is there no High./ Low chart type in Beta 8 ??...Ninja 7 Had that chart type...A High / Low chart type is very useful to create a clean & easy to read looking tick chart....you do not necessarily want to always see the clutter of the open and close tick marks as shown in an OHLC chart....High / Low tick charts are a favorite....

You can create an Open Close type chart by coloring the wick transparent in a candlestick chart....so why have a separate Open Close chart type...??
          Why not switch the superfluous Open Close chart to a useful and elegant High Low chart...??

Thanks....
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Alfred; 02-21-2016, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Can you please right click within your chart->Properties->and confirm you have "Equidistant bar spacing" enabled then click Ok and let me know if you still see the bar overlapping issue.

To load a HiLo chart please set the Chart style to OHLC then within the Mode select HiLo from the drop down menu.
            Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ; 02-25-2016, 04:04 PM.
            Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ View Post
              Can you please right click within your chart->Properties->and confirm you have "Equidistant bar spacing" enabled then click Ok and let me know if you still see the bar overlapping issue.

To load a HiLo chart please set the Chart style to OHLC then within the Mode select HiLo from the drop down menu.
              Here is a candlestick on left, OpenClose on right...
              both with equidistant checked.....OpenClose bars still look fat compared.

Are graphic objects as accurate on equidistant charts.??
              Seems non equidistant charts are better when plotting future graphic targets etc.

Isn't an OpenClose chart the same as a candlestick chart but with a transparent wick ??
              Attached Files

Comment

Correct the Open Close bars only exclude the High and Low. I have forwarded this to our development team and will follow up once I gather additional information.

Thank you for reporting.
                Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
                1 response
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM
                0 responses