How to keep Strategy trades and manual orders separate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to keep Strategy trades and manual orders separate

I have a strategy running for a FOREX pair and it trades as specified in the strategy. I use low volume trades in the strategy but when I see some really good trends, I would like to manually trade on the same instrument. This works OK for the most part but the problem I face is with separating the two positions in the Chart trader or in the Control panel. When I place a manual trade and if there is already a position opened by the strategy, then Ninjatrader just combines the two position so there is no option to close only the manual position I just opened. I would like to separate the two and be able to open and close positions from the chart regardless of the strategy running in the background.

What I am seeing currently is If strategy opened long for 10,000 and If I went to the chart and create a new long position later for 50,000. Then all I see is a single position of 60,000 in the Control Center and in the Chart Trader. I should be able to only close the 50,000 lot position separately without affecting the strategic positions.

Is there a solution to the problem?

Thanks,

It would not be possible to separate the orders/positions when trading to the same account. The only way this would be possible is if you were trading to two accounts - one account with your strategy and one account manually.

Comment

Originally posted by ajsdnyyrr1234DDf View Post
      I have a strategy running for a FOREX pair and it trades as specified in the strategy. I use low volume trades in the strategy but when I see some really good trends, I would like to manually trade on the same instrument. This works OK for the most part but the problem I face is with separating the two positions in the Chart trader or in the Control panel. When I place a manual trade and if there is already a position opened by the strategy, then Ninjatrader just combines the two position so there is no option to close only the manual position I just opened. I would like to separate the two and be able to open and close positions from the chart regardless of the strategy running in the background.

What I am seeing currently is If strategy opened long for 10,000 and If I went to the chart and create a new long position later for 50,000. Then all I see is a single position of 60,000 in the Control Center and in the Chart Trader. I should be able to only close the 50,000 lot position separately without affecting the strategic positions.

Is there a solution to the problem?

Thanks,
      I do something similar and it can get confusing (no perfect solution)...but, I run strategies unmanaged (can't say how well this works managed) and then set a chart trader to Display Selected ATM Strategy Only (https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ction_mode.htm) and this works, as long as you can keep your positions straight (strategies don't adopt my account position). Before you attempt to do something like this, I suggest practicing this on a Sim account since it can get very confusing very quickly...you will have to close with an ATM of None, or set your ATM with a profit target far enough away that you can drag it below / above price to exit when you want (kind of sounded like you were trading with an ATM), which shouldn't affect your strategy position if you have it setup correctly.

Edit: the confusing part is that you have to "manually" know what your average price is per your manual and strategy position, but you can trade this way (you won't be able to see the average prices separate in NT).

Description of the mode: "This mode is designed for traders who want to run concurrent ATM Strategies (trades) in the same market. This mode will visually separate all concurrent running ATM Strategies thereby allowing you to have multiple SuperDOMs open, tracking the same market but displaying different trade strategies. A practical example might be that you have taken a day long intra day swing trade against a fifteen minute chart for five contracts. Throughout the day, you scalp the same market on a one minute time frame. This mode allows you to have two SuperDOMs open, one allocated to manage and only display your day long intra day swing trade, the other used to manage and only display your scalp trades."
      Last edited by Jack22; 06-15-2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try this out.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
          It would not be possible to separate the orders/positions when trading to the same account. The only way this would be possible is if you were trading to two accounts - one account with your strategy and one account manually.
          Could you point me to the instructions on how to connect to FOREX.com using two separate accounts?

Comment

Multiple FOREX.com connections is not currently supported.

Comment

Could I request a feature to enable multiple accounts on the same connection? One should be able to trade with any of the accounts he or she has with the provider as long as the connection is established. It doesn't make sense to restrict to only one account for a connection.

Comment

Please contact FOREX.com to see if you can combine all of your accounts under one set of login credentials.

Comment

Please contact FOREX.com to see if you can combine all of your accounts under one set of login credentials.
                  I talked to FOREX.com support. They allow linking of two accounts but the account logins will remain separate. So simultaneous trading on two accounts on a single login is not possible but they suggested that you can launch two separate instances of the platform and log in using different accounts and trade. I am not sure if that is possible using Ninja.

Comment

it is not possible to launch two separate instances of NinjaTrader simultaneously.

I'll submit a feature request to allow for multiple simultaneous FOREX.com logins. I'll edit this post when I receive a tracking number. EDIT: the tracking number is SFT-3319
                    Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 06-26-2018, 02:45 PM.

Comment

it is not possible to launch two separate instances of NinjaTrader simultaneously.

I'll submit a feature request to allow for multiple simultaneous FOREX.com logins. I'll edit this post when I receive a tracking number.
                      Thanks. This would be beneficial for other providers too. Not just FOREX.com

Comment

Most of the time the limitation lies in the API technology. In other words, the underlying technology that NinjaTrader uses to connect to your provider does not allow multiple instances to exist.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by StrongLikeBull, Yesterday, 04:05 PM
                        1 response
                        0 likes
                        Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                        Started by Mestor, 03-10-2023, 01:50 AM
                        14 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post z.franck