Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

IB was unable to locate instrument. HELP !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IB was unable to locate instrument. HELP !

I have an error that I don't know how to resolve in NT8 B8 and IB Gateway (or IB TWS)

In the Control Log:
    IB was unable to locate instrument. Please verify your symbol mapping is correct for instrument SPXS Arca

I am using the following settings for the instrument - see attached picture

NOTE. I am NOT getting any errors on SPXL which is setup exactly the same way.

I found this in the IB Gateway client log.....
    22:40:11:984 -> 4-2-423-200-The contract description specified for SPXS is ambiguous.-
    22:40:11:986 -> 4-2-424-200-The contract description specified for SPXS is ambiguous.-

Checking this now...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DaFish; 01-28-2016, 10:01 PM.

Hello DaFish,

Thank you for writing in,

I notice in your screen shot that you have the NYSE exchange selected, though the error message seems to be related to the ARCA exchange.

To test, try typing "SPXS.ARCA" on your chart and pressing Enter. Let me know if this persists after taking those steps.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_EricB; 01-29-2016, 10:00 AM.
    Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_EricB View Post
      Hello DaFish,

Thank you for writing in,

I notice in your screen shot that you have the NYSE exchange, though the error message seems to be related to the ARCA exchange.

To test, try typing "SPXS.ARCA" on your chart and pressing entering. Let me know if this persists after taking those steps.
      Hi Eric. Thanks I contacted IB Support for APIs. Here is the discussion below.

I changed the primary exchange to ARCA and removed NYSE.

Joshua B: The error "contract description is ambiguous" will occur with stocks when there are multiple contracts in IBs database that match a particular symbol.
      Joshua B: This is resolved by specifying the 'primary exchange' field as the native exchange of the contract.
      Joshua B: Through the API- so in NinjaTrader.
      mfish163: so I specified NYSE on the symbol
      Joshua B: For SPXS - "Direxion Daily S&P 500 Bear" yes it should be Arca
      mfish163: same for SPXL and SPY?
      Joshua B: Yes for SPY its also Arca
      mfish163: thanks i"ll try this. Would this be a reason that it won't match my entry name to the exit.... cause it can't find the right one?
      Joshua B: yes if the primary exchange field isnt specified it won't be able to resolve the ambiguity
      mfish163: thanks a lot. I've made the change. let me try again and will ping if I have mfish163: let me resttart
      mfish163: error...
      mfish163: IB was unable to locate instrument. Please verify your symbol mapping is correct for instrument SPXS Arca IB was unable to locate instrument. Please verify your symbol mapping is correct for instrument SPXS Island
      Joshua B: It sounds like a NinjaTrader symbol mapping issue. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with how NinjaTrader maps IB symbols.
      Joshua B: But through the IB API it would be exchage = Smart, Primary Exchange = Arca for a smart-routed request
      Joshua B: For a direct routed request, Exchange = Arca
      mfish163: that is what it is set too....
      Joshua B: But of course requests can be direct-routed to other exchanges too.
      mfish163: what is this Island business?
      Joshua B: Through the API, Nasdaq is known as Island
      Joshua B: So anytime you see Nasdaq in Tws it is input in the API as Island
      mfish163: ok
      mfish163: just retarted Ninja... same error

Comment

Hi Eric, further to my previous post... The strategy just went LONG on SPXL successfully, it was filled... but it was not ONLY going to ARCA exchange.

Please see the instrument setup and the log attached

I'll repost when the strategy is EXITTING the trade, that is where it can't match up the entry signal and it then ignores the exit order.

Ok, it did sell the SPXL and then it purchased SPXS - which it is supposed to do

The Control Center - Positions is correctly reflecting the state
        ISSUE: The strategy thinks it is LONG SPXS and LONG SPXS - it is out of sync with the Control Center Positions

here is the log extract

And just so you can see it...
        Attached Files
        Last edited by DaFish; 01-29-2016, 10:45 AM.

Comment

NT 8 I get the same message for YM

YM downloading and strategy analyzer were working fine an hour ago... but now get

[IB was unable to locate instrument: Please verify your symbol mapping for YM 09-12 Globex]

happens when running strategy analyzer on YM 09-16 and 12-16... YM 06-16 works.... YM 12-16 charts update fine and data is coming through via Gateway. Any ideas...

I use IB Symbol Map ECBOT for YM.

Basically how is it that I can run a strategy Analysis for YM 06-16 but not 09-16 and 12-16? All the data is there.. the charts update... Why is IB giving messages for 09-16 and 12-16 but not the 06-16?

Now get same message on log when disconnect and re-connect to IB Gateway. Never seen this message before from NT8
          Last edited by elliot5; 10-31-2016, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Hello everington_f,

Thank you for your post,

Please try resetting your instruments with the steps below.

Disconnect from any active datafeed: Navigate to the Control Center > Connections menu, left-click the ‘disconnect’ button that appears to the right of any active connection.
            Reset your instruments: Navigate to the Control Center > Tools > Database window, left-click to expand the ‘Update instrument lists’ section, ensure ‘Predefined instrument lists’ is checked, then left-click the Update button that appears just to the right of the two options in this section.
            Restart NinjaTrader.

Let me know if you see the same error after taking these steps.

Comment

Still error.

I have followed your instructions. Same message upon reconnection to IB Gateway -

IB was unable to locate instrument. Please verify your symbol mapping is correct for instrument YM 09-16 Globex.

Removed globex as exchange and message no longer comes up, but original issue of Strategy Analyzer backtests hanging for 09-12 and 12-12 persist... YM 06-12 works.

All charts load for YM 09-16 and other contract months.The data is there.

************** Message back again... symbol mapping error for instrument YM 9-15 ECBot

FYI GET DATA FROM SERVER has always been unchecked.
              Last edited by elliot5; 10-31-2016, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Hello everington_f,
                Thank you for trying that,

So I may attempt to replicate the error on my end, could you please list the steps you're taking to trigger the errors?

Also, can you please verify you have correctly modified the rollover date for the YM? See the below link for steps.

http://ninjatrader.com/Advisories/CME-9-16-2016

Comment

Hi Eric I have been away from the office. That issue seems to have disappeared, but a similar one has emerged that:

Instrument ES 12-16 Globex is not enabled to receive real-time data. Please add the instrument to your IB account data subscriptions.

Well I am subscribed and definitely have live data...

Regards

Comment

Hello everington_f,

Thank you for your reply,

May I confirm, are you able to receive both real-time prices and market depth for ES in TWS?

Certain windows such as the SuperDOM require level II data as well in order to function, so this may be the cause for the error.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 04:29 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post ScottWalsh  
                    Started by rtwave, 04-12-2024, 09:30 AM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes