Chart and strategy not in sync

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart and strategy not in sync

When I add and enable a strategy through the Control Panel, it is not in sync with the chart indicators. (In other words, when the signals occur on the chart there are no trades and there are trades when there are no signals on the chart.) When I add the strategy directly to the chart, they are of course in sync. For 4 out of 5 of the instruments I am trading, I found that the issue was that I had different session templates in the chart than the strategy. But I have fixed that and still have one instrument that is not syncing up. What else might be the issue? I want to add and enable the strategy through the Control Panel so I can keep Chart Trader up on my chart, and also because that is how I backtested.

Both chart and strategy have Days to Load = 7, and session template = Use instrument settings. What else could be different?

Hello vickisb,

Thanks for opening the thread.

If there is a difference between the behavior of the strategy and signals you would expect from your chart indicators, I would first be suspicious of any differing settings in the strategy that is enabled on the chart and on the Control Center.

The next item I would want to look at is comparing the chart with the strategy added to the behavior of the strategy when it is added from the Control Center. We should only be looking at indicators that are added by the strategy for consistency. There may be a chart indicator that is added to a chart that is not configured the same way as it is used in the strategy. In that case, the chart indicators will be behave differently than how the strategy uses it and the chart indicator's signals would not be relevant to the strategy's actions.

One test we could take would be to add that strategy to a blank chart and then add another instance of that strategy on the Control Center making sure settings are identical. If the settings are the same, and the data used is the same, the strategy results should be the same.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
    JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ok, I think I see what the issue is. For both CL and GC, in Instrument Manager, the wrong session template is being used.

They were set up in my Default instrument list and also another custom instrument list with Session Template of CME FX Futures ETH. When I delete the 4-18 contracts from both lists, and hit OK, then come back into Instrument Manager and add them back to both instrument lists (search on CL or GC, click on search results, check in Edit and see that the Session Template is Nymex Metals / Energy ETH, then add to both instrument lists), hit OK, then re-enter Instrument Manager, click on either instrument in either instrument list, the session template is mysteriously back to the erroneous CME FX Futures ETH. How do I get the Nymex session template to 'stick'?

Comment

I performed an Instrument Reset and CL and GC remained in my lists with the CME session template. And if I delete and add again (noting that the are Nynex before I hit OK), then re-enter Instrument Manager, they are CME again. And when I manually adjusted one of them in the instrument list to Nynex, hit OK and came back in, ALL the instruments were set to Nynex. Help!!

Comment

Hello vickisb,

If you would like to use another session template as the instrument's default template, then the original instrument should be removed from the instrument list, the instrument should then be edited to use the different session template, and then the instrument should be re-added to the instrument list.

I have attached a short video demonstration: https://www.screencast.com/t/6HBgrCRite

If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Comment

That is exactly what I was first doing, Jim. I only tried changing the session template after adding to the instrument list as a last resort. When I do what you're saying, the session template that is in the instrument from the search results is not being retained. It is there after I add it, but then when I hit OK and come back into Instrument Manager, it is mysteriously back to the CME template. Please let me know if you'd like to schedule a teamviewer call to see this happen for yourself.

Comment

Hello vickisb,

I understand that you have written into platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com and have arranged a call with Chelsea.

We are always happy to assist you on call. If you can, please write in with the thread URL and address the person that is working on your case. Duplicate tickets on the forums and in our email system may result in a delay of service while we track down several requests.

If there is something else you would like to address, please don't hesitate to write back.
              Last edited by NinjaTrader_James; 03-14-2018, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Jim. Chelsea has helped with the resolution of my issue

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by warreng86, 11-10-2020, 02:04 PM
                4 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post mathewlo  
                Started by Perr0Grande, Today, 08:16 PM