pre and post market data to display on my charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pre and post market data to display on my charts

How can I add pre and post market data to display on my charts? (and will it look different from normal trading hours data?

Thanks.

Hello Irukandji,

Thanks for writing in.

Data from outside normal trading hours can be added to your chart by adjusting your Trading Hours / Session Template settings to an option which includes ETH (Electronic Trading Hours).

This can be adjusted in the Data Series menu which you may access by right clicking on your chart and selecting 'Data Series'. Locate the option for 'Trading Hours' (if using NinjaTrader 8), or 'Session Template' (if using NinjaTrader 7).

By default this is set to 'Use Instrument Settings', but can be adjusted to the specific ETH option if you know the one that applies to the instrument in use, or you can select 'Default 24/7' to include all data provided by the exchange.

ETH charts always look slightly different from RTH (regular trading hours) charts so there likely will be some variation. The degree of which depends on the instrument in use, the interval selected for your chart, and the data feed to which you are connected.
    Cody D.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi

OK, tried that - but the ETH are not displayed any differently to the RTH, so it's difficult to look at and make quick assessments.

Compare that with how Think or Swim does it, where ETH are clearly separated by being shaded (cloudy grey look)

Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello Irukandji,

Thank you for your response.

Can you please clarify what the setting for 'Trading Hours' or 'Session Template' was on your chart previously? It is possible it may have already been including the ETH hours depending on the option which was specified.

Unfortunately there is not a direct option to shade the ETH hours a different color specifically in NinjaTrader at this time however, the ETH hours can be identified by the 'Trading hours break line' setting in your data series.

The times at which breaks in the trading hours apply depend on the instrument in use and the exchange which manages them. In the case of AAPL as your screenshots reference, ETH hours (pre-market hours) will be any data which is charted between the hours of 4:00 PM and 9:30 AM the following day.

Comment

It has always been <use instrument settings>

Thanks.

Comment

The 'Use instrument settings' option defaults to the instrument settings stored in the NinjaTrader database. In the case of AAPL, this will be 'US Equities RTH' if your installation is up to date.

While there is no specific different setting to indicate the ETH values, you can add a second data series and have one assigned to each RTH and ETH. This will allow you to assign separate colors to the RTH hours and make them easily distinguishable.

Applying a volume based indicator may also be beneficial to indicate the ETH hours at a quick glance. As you can see from the attached screenshot (and yours as well), the volume lessens significantly during the ETH period.

Please let us know if we may assist further.
            Attached Files

Comment

How about just adding some shading option in the next release like Think or Swim has, rather than offering endless workarounds for the endless problems we have?

Comment

Such a feature request has previously been submitted and I have added your vote to this suggestion. We track and maintain all feature requests and implement them to the platform as soon as possible.

As this will not likely be a quick implementation, I wish only to provide viable alternatives in the meantime.

Please let us know if we may assist you further.

Comment

Hello again,
                  I wish to follow up with you to inform you I have located an indicator which will allow you to differentiate between the RTH and ETH trading hours with shading similar to Think or Swim.

It is available on the forum through the link below.

Comment

Thanks.

I've added it but it's not displaying correctly.

I entered start time as 16:00:00 (end of trading session)

and end time at: 09:29:59 (start of trading session)

Yet as you can see by the shaded area, the shading continues through the whole day until 16:00

(see image)

Thanks
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Irukandji; 09-16-2018, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_CodyD View Post
                      While there is no specific different setting to indicate the ETH values, you can add a second data series and have one assigned to each RTH and ETH. This will allow you to assign separate colors to the RTH hours and make them easily distinguishable

Would this count as two instances of data retrieval?

IB limits me to 100 only, so any instance on a market analyzer, or chart, counts.

So by having the data pulled twice on the same chart, even if the same ticker... would that count as two or one?

Thanks.

Comment

Hello Irukandji,

Thank you for your update.

Upon review of the settings in use for this indicator within your platform, all appear correct. I have successfully configured this indicator with the same parameters and it appears to be only including the correct hours in the highlight (please see attached screenshot for example).

It is possible some of your data series settings may be interfering. Do you still have the Trading Hours for 'Use instrument settings' selected? If it is already selected, please alternatively try 'Default 24/7'. Does the display update?

It also may be necessary to reload your chart's data if you have not already done so. Please right click and select 'reload all historical data' to test this.

In regards to your Interactive Brokers connection, generally adding a second of the same data series will not count towards another instance of data retrieval, as long as it is the same data type (minute, tick, day, etc.). Using the same instrument twice does not request a second instance of the data, but rather the same instrument data is received within NinjaTrader and then compiled twice.

Attached Files

Comment

In regards to your Interactive Brokers connection, generally adding a second of the same data series will not count towards another instance of data retrieval, as long as it is the same data type (minute, tick, day, etc.). Using the same instrument twice does not request a second instance of the data, but rather the same instrument data is received within NinjaTrader and then compiled twice.

This is good to know, thanks.

The Repeater is also now displaying correctly on my charts.

Comment

While there is no specific different setting to indicate the ETH values, you can add a second data series and have one assigned to each RTH and ETH. This will allow you to assign separate colors to the RTH hours and make them easily distinguishable.

Can having dual data series be set as a default? So if I change the timeframe, say from 5 minutes to hourly it will still be there? Or when I change ticker?

Or if I simple launch a new chart entirely?

Thanks.

Comment

Hello Irukandji,

Unfortunately there is not an option to apply dual data series as a default for a chart at this time. With new charts these would need to be added manually when each new chart is created.

Adjusting the time interval on a chart will not remove the second data series. If this is done using the interval control box at the top of the chart window, both data series intervals will be updated. If this is completed from the Data Series menu, each interval will need to be updated individually.

Though the data series will need to be added, the settings for multiple data series can be automatically applied by previously configuring them as a chart template. This way once your two (or more) data series are added the settings for each will adjust to the preferences you selected previously.

I have submitted a feature request for the ability to preset multiple data series for new chart windows and when adjusting chart settings. I will update you with a feature request tracking ID as soon as one is available for this item.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by DanielTynera, Today, 01:14 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post DanielTynera  
                              Started by yertle, 04-18-2024, 08:38 AM
                              9 responses
                              0 likes