• Show
Clear All

SHARE: Probably the only line tool you'll ever need

Hello,

Script updated July 25, 2018, see post #20 for additional info

Script updated May 09, 2018, see post #19 for additional info - Please read

Script updated May 07, 2018, see post #18 for additional info

Script updated Mar 26, 2018, see post #15 for additional info

Script updated Feb 15, 2018, see post #12 for additional info - Updating to this version is highly recommended

Script updated Jan 27, 2018, see post #11 for additional info

Script updated Jan 22, 2018, see post #10 for additional info

I just shared an extendable line drawingtool in the NT8 misc file sharing section.

It can be downloaded here:

Its a line drawing tool that can extend/contract each end of the line. No more having to replace 1 line type with another when you need to extend out or limit your lines.

There is also a "Duplicate" option in this line type's context menu so that copy and paste no longer have to be 2 separate steps. Its just right-click, duplicate, done.

There are other features as well that are detailed on the link provided.

In the screenshot, the blue line has its end extended, the green has its start extended, the black has both extended, and the image of 2 black lines just shows an example of a duplicated line.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gubbar924; 07-25-2018, 09:16 PM.

Does this work with Global Drawing lines in NT8. This is where I have experienced issues.
    if it could provide a selection of Alerts as well without having to separately set it up by clicking on it and then selecting alert , that would be pretty cool. I will have to look at this code and see what might be done.
    Last edited by JerryWar; 08-23-2017, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Hi JerryWar,

This should work with global drawings as the alert related code is basically taken from the existing line drawingtool, with a few modifications to fit the bill for this line type.

It currently does not have predefined alerts built right into the context menu, but if you manage to add that functionality, would you be so kind as to share it with us?

Comment

gubbar924,
        This tool may provide me the basis for making some other changes I have wanted.
        Whenever I draw global lines horizontally ( Not Horizontal line style as I want to show the start point )
        I draw it with the standard line tool with the default set to global. The first problem is adjusting it to be horizontal and then setting it extended to the right. Adjusting it horizontal is some times difficult unless you go in and actually edit the data. So I may want to have two tools with different line styles or depending on how the menu is done. Do you have any suggestions on this.
        possibly one tool would work. Do you have any suggestions on this.

Comment

Hi JerryWar,

Check out this post ..

I believe reach4thelasers has already worked out a solution to keep the line horizontal when drawing/editing it.

I will not have time for at least the next week or so to work on the code, but if you'd like, you can try adding that piece of code into the current extendable line tool. If you do work that out, could you please share it here on this thread? Also, please make a note to give credit to reach4thelasers.

Also, I've made some minor updates for the UI, if you'd like to use this one instead before you start adding code.

Thanks!
          Last edited by gubbar924; 08-24-2017, 02:42 PM.

Comment

I will take a look and see how he did it. I looked at your code. It doesn't look too back to add a selection to the menu and then if true stuff the start Y anchor into end Y anchor.

Thanks,

Comment

gubbar924
              if you have an updated copy please Post or PM
              I will share whatever changes I make.
              Thanks

Comment

I've already updated it in the link and downloads manager section, you should be able to get the updated file using the same link posted above

Comment

I did find one bug using it globally. If create a template with it applied to all charts of that symbol and extended end then draw a line. If you then go back to that line and unclick extend end, It only shortens the line on that chart. It does not apply it globablly. In other words all the other charts have the same line still extended. If you go to the properties and uncheck the extend line it will apply that change globally. So there is something wrong in the code for the menu selection of checking/unchecking extend end. I haven't looked at the code yet to figure out what might be going on.

Comment

The global drawing issue is due to a limitation set in NT8 itself, there already is a feature request in place, # SFT-2479.

The script has been updated to add the options to set the line as horizontal or vertical, the global drawing issue is still there for now.

Fixed: When trying to set the line as vertical at the end anchor point, it still sets the line as vertical at the start anchor point, Jim from NT support team caught the error in code.

Thank you to RonnyKeller for taking the initiative to add the initial code for setting the line as horizontal.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by gubbar924; 01-23-2018, 11:15 AM.

Comment

The script has been updated to include some minor bug fixes, changed the layout of the context menu, and added a "Templates" menu where your saved templates will be listed and clickable for a faster template loading process.
                      Attached Files

Comment

oops, just caught a little bug in the duplicate option, its fixed now, so if you downloaded in the last couple of hours, I apologize for that, please download the latest version available.

This is an important update as it addresses some glaring short-comings.

@JerryWar
                        1) I have created a work-around wrapper to address the issue of the line not being updated properly across all charts when the line is set as global. This is just a band-aid while we wait for a proper solution, but it works.
                        2) Added a quicker way to save a template, bypassing the need to open the "Drawing Objects" window first.
                        3) This DrawingTool should now work more smoothly than previous versions.
                        4) Check mark added track the last loaded template.
                        5) The "Duplicate" menu option was moved back to the top the menu. (I know it makes more sense to keep it with Copy/Remove, but that moved the option too far away for the frequency at which I use it)

Please note: If you've been using this DrawingTool prior to this update and you have templates saved, you will need to save those templates again (just save them again and write over the existing file) as the xml format has changed.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by gubbar924; 02-15-2018, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Hi,

I have just found this extendable line and I find it very useful... congrats and thank you for sharing!!

One small improvement that I would recommend is to add the "duplicate", "horizontal at..." and "vertical at..." menu items to the hotkeys list. Do you think this is a difficult thing to do?

Comment

Originally posted by ludopuig View Post
                            Hi,

I have just found this extendable line and I find it very useful... congrats and thank you for sharing!!

One small improvement that I would recommend is to add the "duplicate", "horizontal at..." and "vertical at..." menu items to the hotkeys list. Do you think this is a difficult thing to do?

Hello ludopuig,

What you are asking about is currently not available in NT8, please see this thread for more info:

Comment

the script has been updated.
                              Users can now change line color, line dash style, and line width directly from the context menu itself.
                              Also, there was 1 minor bug fix.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by jclose, Today, 09:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post jclose
                              by jclose

Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM