Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How can I have 2 NT7 installation in the same pc? I explain why..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I have 2 NT7 installation in the same pc? I explain why..

It happened many many times that under heavy backtest while I'm downloading real-time data from markets, pretty often, the data registered in the database shows anomalies in price and timestamps that I want to avoid them in order to have a better quality database. So I think that is perhaps possible to avoid it by having two independent functional NT7. One connecting normal to IB through valid license and the other perhaps with demo license for backtesting.

So, I'm aware that NT7 installation makes this folder structure for every installation:

C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\NinjaTrader7/..... AND
    c:\ThisPC \ MyDocuments \ NinjaTrader7....

If I set one installation, would it be good enough to rename the main folder "NinjaTrader" by "NinjaTrader2" , and then make the second installation?

Any idea, suggestion that could address the problem will be appreciated

Thanks
    Last edited by pstrusi; 07-10-2018, 09:05 AM.

Hello pstrusi,
    Thanks for your post.

I have a few installations of both NT7 and NT8 on my PC for different purposes. What I typically do is just rename the NT 'Documents' folder to what I use it for and then rename it back when I want to use it. There will be no reason to mess with the 'Program Files' folder.

For example, I have a separate installation for my webinars then the one I use for testing. When I am not doing a webinar I would rename that specific installation folder:
    /Documents/NinjaTrader 7.webinar/
    And then when I was ready to do another webinar I would remove the ".webinar" from the end to make it a valid path for NinjaTrader to run.

Any time you rename the NT 'Documents' folder and then run an install/repair it will create a new 'Documents' folder for you to use.
    Josh G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi JoshG, thanks for your assistance in this matter.

Let's say that I'd like to work with two separated NT7 versions at the same time, one connected to IB and the other one only for backtest with a separated database.

Then what I should do is:

1) Make installation1, with my valid user license and for now, just connecting to IB to save all historical tick data from charts.
      2) Go to Documents and rename "NinjaTrader7" with something else.
      3) Make a new NT7 installation, where it should make once again a new separated Documents \ NinjaTrader7... folders

So:

How can I open each one separately and keeping both opened at the same time in the same pc?

Comment

Yes, everything you listed will be fine. However, you will not be able to run both instances at the same time on the same PC.

Comment

so, it won't be find completely. So it leads me to the following point. Let's say that I set a NT8 instance with the only purpose of downloading tickdata when markets are opened. So whenever I need to move that tickdatabase to NT7 instance, would it be good enough just copy-paste of all "Tick" folder for all instrument ? I don't trust much in the export-import process, many times was buggy.

Thanks

Comment

I want to ask a question? what is this error in demo acount?

Comment

I imagine Josh uses the term 'installation' loosely.

This is a common technique when developing.
              But you only perform an actual 'installation' using 'setup.exe' one time.

After that, you play musical chairs (using rename/move/link/whatever
              command) with the desired user Documents folder structure -- so that
              your single solitary installation is pointing to the desired set of folders
              at "C:/Users/name/Documents/NinjaTrader 7".

I believe it is the "NinjaTrader 7" portion that gets renamed, perhaps
              to "NT7.Webinars" or "NT7.ClientX" ...

You're asking about multiple program folders, not multiple user folders.
              Right?

Comment

As far as using the NT8 data in NT7, I can only suggest to use the documented steps for exporting in NT7 and importing in NT8. I am pretty sure I have heard of users copying and pasting their tick data successfully, but it would not be the supported way.

Comment

bltdavid is correct and also brings up a good point. Are you trying to have multiple program folders? If so, that would not be possible in NT7.

Also, gamb92 please make a separate post for unrelated support items. You can create another post by navigating to the link below and clicking the "New Thread" button.

Comment

Thanks to all for the comments.

Yeas I was trying simply to have 2 NT7 instances running at the same time in my pc, one with my license and the other one as demo, so I was able to separate process as explained earlier. I don't really see why this is not possible. Any technical reason?

Comment

I am not sure as it is unsupported. I do know that it is possible in NT8 (not supported). But, as far as I know the only reason is that it would be in violation of our EULA.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_JoshG View Post
                        I am not sure as it is unsupported. I do know that it is possible in NT8 (not supported). But, as far as I know the only reason is that it would be in violation of our EULA.
                        Well, given that reason, only left to follow the guidelines of course. So, I'll try what you suggested before: 1 NT7 instance and 1 NT8 instance

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by pstrusi View Post
                          Yeas I was trying simply to have 2 NT7 instances running at the same time in my pc, one with my license and the other one as demo, so I was able to separate process as explained earlier. I don't really see why this is not possible. Any technical reason?
                          Have you a multi-broker license?

You could conceivably run 1 NT7 instance and connect to 2 different accounts ...

Comment

Originally posted by bltdavid View Post
                            Have you a multi-broker license?

You could conceivably run 1 NT7 instance and connect to 2 different accounts ...
                            A simple lifetime single user bought in 2011 I think. I gonna give NT8 another chance for some process.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by pstrusi View Post
                              Well, given that reason, only left to follow the guidelines of course

Thanks!
                              A lot of us use a second computer with the free key to test with. Live key runs on main computer.

No violation.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
                              7 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton  
                              Started by NRITV, Today, 01:15 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes