Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Position sizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Position sizing

How can I set the quantity to trade as a percentage of my account size. i.e. my account is size $ 10,000 I want to open al new positions as 2% of account size or $200 Lot size is 100 so I want to enter 2 positions.

Any idea of how I can do this in either order handling in the stategy development wizard or when I run the strategy?

melvinferds, welcome to our support forums!

You can set this as you run your strategy - just select to set the order quantity 'ByAccount' and enter your virtual account size then - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...romAChart.html
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I am busy back testing and that only works with the initial account size.

How can I set it so it considers the account size dynamically i.e as account size moves with profits and losses?

Comment

I found the same issue with the account size based position sizing. You need to manually calculate and store your profit/loss using something like Performance.AllTrades.TradesPerformance.Currency.C umProfit and add that to the initial account balance and then use that sum to manually calculate the number of shares/contracts to buy. I'm hoping that NT7 will support better position sizing and account balance tracking.

The way NT 6.5 handles position sizing is generally fine for backtesting and optimization, though I wish it supported fractional shares by default so high-asset price periods were not over-weighted in the cumulated profit results. The only problem is when you want to compare a NT strategy to one that is quoted in terms of compounding account balance over time, CAGR, etc. For those types of return numbers, NT 6.5's performance metrics are not directly comparable.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by StrongLikeBull, Yesterday, 04:05 PM
        1 response
        0 likes
        Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
        Started by Mestor, 03-10-2023, 01:50 AM
        14 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post z.franck