Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accurate reporting of current position price/breakeven

Hi,

At the moment, if you enter a position with, say a 1 lot, then add another 1 lot somewhere else, the price is adjusted to reflect correctly. But, the price is not adjusted when exits are made. So, if you exit and add a few times (as many traders do), the indicated position value is wrong.

I get around this by either calculating it in my head, or using another tool I wrote.

BUT, it would be much, much easier if there was an option to 'show avg theoretical price'. This would move the entry marker to the correct avg price when any adds or removes from the position are made.

It might sound complicated, but it's really not. The forumula is actually really simple. It's just the sum of the contracts @ the purchase or sale price. So, add 1, avg price goes up by 1*price. Sell one, avg Price goes down by 1*price. Actual breakeven is then avg price / qty remaining.

Make sense?

This would be far more useful (to me at least) than the current system that only really works if you double up and exit at the entry.

If this could be added as a feature suggestion, I think it would bring a lot of benifit for very little work.

Thanks.

btw - If there were an easy way for indicators to access execution data, I'd write an indicator to do this myself, but it did not look easy to do. At the moment, my utility reads the execution data from the NT log files.

Hello pjsmith,

Thanks for the note.

The average entry is expected to stay at the calculated average price level if you are pyramiding your position. Your PnL is calculated from each execution that occurs. The price should not get adjusted if you exit 1 lot and still have a lot in the market because that previously exited trade still has an effect on your PnL calculation for the trade that is still active. Only until you are flat will the average price "reset".

For an example, if you enter 1 contract at $100 and then you enter 1 more contract at $105, then you exit 1 contract at $110, your average entry should not change because the trade you took at $105 effects the PnL of the trade you made at $100.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
    Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

pjsmith Please check our breakeven price indicator at:

Breakeven Price shows the breakeven price, position size, and the breakeven profit as a graphical display directly on the NinjaTrader chart. It is essential for traders who scale in and out of positions to keep track of PNL. Background The position breakeven price is

It does exactly what you want.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Barry Milan, Today, 10:35 PM
      1 response
      0 likes
      Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
      Started by WeyldFalcon, 12-10-2020, 06:48 PM
      14 responses
      0 likes