Pop-up messages - self-cancelling feature suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop-up messages - self-cancelling feature suggestion

I have added Alerts using Pop-up Messages. The Messages have the two options to OK to close the message, and to Disable the Alert.

I wondered if Ninja Dev had considered adding a time-based self-closing function?

There are many discussions here about Messages, whether those be Pop-up or System messages etc and I am aware there are implications as to whether one can continue without OK-ing, or not, and 'fit-for-purpose' regarding 'protecting' the trader vs interrupting requiring user intervention, 'system-wide' 'Disable all messages' etc. Hence I'm sure Dev has given it more thought than I, hence do not wish to request 'I want this Feature.....' where it may be inappropriate or have un-desirable or un-intended consequences elsewhere.

What struck me, though, is in my use, it is desirable to get the message, but would be desirable for it to go away of its own accord without click OK. A -time-based decay, automatically close after x seconds, somewhat akin to 'Re-arm on timer'.

One of the reasons, is that the pop-up messages seem to replace the previous one, in some cases, but not in others by which I mean if I don't intervene I get the next message rather than piling up lots of open ones, although as yet I haven't been able to determine the logic. Sometimes, the last message remains the visible one until/unless I close it. Hence another Alert is triggered (I use Playsound also so know that this is the case) but don't 'see' the new Pop-up message unless I have closed the existing one. It is not displaying a new message that I cannot see, in this case. If I subsequently close the already open message, I don't then see the one that triggered afterwards - it is not 'queueing' the for display, so to speak.

So, if a Pop-up pops, I may see the message. But if I don't close it the next message may not be visible 'visible', it certainly doesn't appear on top of the current one. However it may replace it. Sometimes, but I don't understand under what conditions it does/doesn't.

If a pop-up could be made to self-close after e.g. 3 seconds, as a user-selectable option, that seems would be good. And others have asked for/expressed the same wish.

Using the Alert Log Window isn't an option because I want to see messages generated from other workspaces open but not the active workspace, and AFAIK an Alert Log window can only display those from the active Workspace.

Best

Hello brucerobinson,

Thank you for writing in.

I will put in a feature request for the option to have pop ups close after 3 seconds, which would be wonderful so you wouldn’t have to click 3 different pop up warnings when trying to close the application.

Great suggestion thank you.
    Alan P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello AlanP and thanks.
      Just to be sure my interest hasn't been mis-construed....
      You mention not having to click 3 messages on closing the application. One man's meat another's gravy etc, but my 'interest' is that I use Alerts to notify me when price is within a certain amount of ticks of Highs and Lows.
      In total, on multiple instruments, this may result in several hundred messages per day.
      Fortunately unlike the close application ones I am not forced to click to close them. However I can't see the contents of new ones unless I do. I have a macro instruction to move my mouse over and click, to reduce the PITA factor.
      Clicking 3 to close the application at the end of the day is minor in comparison.
      Kind regards,

Comment

Hello brucerobinson,

Thank you for clearing that up.

An option to close a user triggered pop up every 3 seconds.

Great suggestion.
        Alan P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by traderqz, Today, 12:06 AM
        6 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post traderqz  
        Started by Skifree, Today, 03:41 AM
        3 responses