Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Speeding things up: If Indicators Dialog Applied, not need to recalculate on Closing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speeding things up: If Indicators Dialog Applied, not need to recalculate on Closing

Hi, if I click "apply" on indicators dialog... it will recalculate.. i.e. I wait... then chart comes back and if I click close then it will again recalculate the chart...

this is unnecessary... please implement only recalculating chart if something has changed since it was last "applied".. thanks...

didn't look into properties dialog, but if it also exhibits this behaviour, might as well fix it there too... thanks,

Thanks NinjaCustomer,

A quicker would be not clicking 'apply' each time, but to add the needed indicators to the selection box and then clicking 'OK'. This will calculate all once and you are good to go...
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

seems to me that would defeat the purpose of the apply button. Sometimes you want to apply things first and only close the window once everything is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaCustomer View Post
        seems to me that would defeat the purpose of the apply button. Sometimes you want to apply things first and only close the window once everything is ok.
        Agreed. This has always seemed somewhat strange. I've got into the habit of using apply to make sure things look how I expect and then using cancel to avoid the redundant recalculating.

Ideally things should only be recalculated if there is a change. Same thing with saving workspaces, Ninja should only ask to save if something has actually changed (which could easily be indicated by an asterisk beside the workspace name in the title bar)

Comment

Originally posted by Elliott Wave View Post
          Agreed. This has always seemed somewhat strange. I've got into the habit of using apply to make sure things look how I expect and then using cancel to avoid the redundant recalculating.
          ah, nice tip... didn't think about that... cool

Comment

Hmm.. not sure I really understand the problem here guys.

It seems to me that NT gives you two simple choices. If you choose a new indicator and set your parameters and then click OK, it makes your changes and shuts down the menu box ready for trading. If you instead hit APPLY it makes your changes so that you can review them and if you are happy with it, you just hit CLOSE and it does not recalculate a thing. Things only "recalculate if you make the mistake of first hitting APPLY and then subsequently hit OK instead of CLOSE.

I do like Elliott's idea regarding workspaces though.

Happy Trading,
            Randy

Comment

Originally posted by randyjb View Post
              Hmm.. not sure I really understand the problem here guys.

It seems to me that NT gives you two simple choices. If you choose a new indicator and set your parameters and then click OK, it makes your changes and shuts down the menu box ready for trading. If you instead hit APPLY it makes your changes so that you can review them and if you are happy with it, you just hit CLOSE and it does not recalculate a thing. Things only "recalculate if you make the mistake of first hitting APPLY and then subsequently hit OK instead of CLOSE.

I do like Elliott's idea regarding workspaces though.

Happy Trading,
              Randy
              problem is it is 2nd nature for some of us to hit OK, because OK is used in just about every windows dialog. So if you're not paying attention (can happen during a work day), you may be stuck with a black chart screen for some time (I have only a dual core AMD turion 2 GHZ notebook, so this is many many many seconds on my charts... ) [I've got a number of indicators].

Anyhow, there is no reason why OK should recalculate everything if it is applied already. And a program made for trading should try and eliminate any delays it can.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by nandhumca, Today, 03:41 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post nandhumca  
              Started by The_Sec, Today, 03:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post The_Sec