Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Import Stock Symbol List

Hi everbody

I have a question about the Import Stock Symbol List. Can I import also the description together with the symbol list?

Thanks
    Michael

Hello michi08,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to import a description along with your stock symbol list.

I am including our Help Guide article on this feature for you to review:

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Thanks for the answer

Comment

Hi,

Do you have this feature available to import the stock symbol with description and other details in the new version of NT?

Regards
        Yameen

Comment

Hello mdyameen6,

Welcome to our Forums!

It is not currently possible to import descriptions while importing a list of stock symbols.

I have forward this feature request to development and will be tracked using ID #978.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Comment

Hi,

Is it possible for me to import the Stock Symbol directly to the database, which is located at 'C:\Program Files\NinjaTrader 7\db\NinjaTrader.sdf' file? But, this file is password protected. Is there any way to disclose the default password?

It's really diffcult for me to import the tags without proper description.

Regards
            Yameen

Comment

Hello mdyameen6,

Unfortunately, it would not be supported to import stocks symbols outside of the software interface.

Comment

Sure. Thanks

Cheers
                Yameen

Comment

Import Stock Symbols Dialog "Traded On" control

The Import Stock Symbols dialog box has a drop down list control labeled "Traded On". What is the effect of setting this? I have a file that contains a list of stocks that are traded on various exchanges. I chose "nyse" for all of them. Is there some limitation with what I can do with a symbol that I imported as being traded on nyse, if in fact it's really traded on nasdaq?

Separately, the list of stocks in my file contain some badly formatted symbols that Ninja doesn't recognize. Ninja displays each error with a pop up message box. I have dozens of them and I want to ignore them. It's not conveniant to clear the message box over and over. It would be better if there was a dialog box to display the status of the entire import process ( rather than just use the status bar on the Control Center ) and that the dialog box contained list box control that displayed the errors as they happen.

Comment

Hello Brillo,

Thank you for your post.

The "Traded On" list controls which exchange these markets are trading and how they are configured in the Instrument Manager. You will want to upload each list of stocks per exchange. This means only create a list of NYSE products and use "NYSE" as the "Traded On" field.

Is this just a text file? Can you open it in notepad and use the "Replace" function under the Edit menu to replace these characters? For example, if there was a "%" symbol that was causing issues, you would want to replace "%" with a blank character, or space such as " ".

Comment

I expected that it tags each symbol with the exchange that it trades on. But what are the consequences of a symbol that is incorrectly tagged with the wrong exchange? Does that mean one could not trade it?

The invalid symbols are invalid because the system that they came from appends qualifiers that mean something to that system... but not to Ninja. Yes I can edit the file but it's a lot of work. The gui design changes I recommended would be of help not just to me but to everyone.

Comment

Brillo,

Yes, depending on your data feed provider or you broker, you may not receive live data or submit orders if you are using the wrong exchange. In all cases, you should ensure you have the correct exchange selected.

Comment

it would be good to import stocksymbols with different quote symbols on data providers

Comment

Bumping and bringing this up again. Please allow importing of a DESCRIPTION for our Stock symbols. Ninjatrader is so thorough in some areas but things as basic as this it just falls flat on its face unfortunately.

If this will not be supported at least consider distributing it with a larger list of pre-loaded stocks and exchanges. I can get ASX stocks loaded but I got incredibly sick of adding descriptions individually.

Thanks,
                            Rokz

(I will also bring this up in the NT8 General Forum)

Comment

IIIRokzIII and all, thanks for the posts!

I reached out to our product management team and it appears that this has been moved to NT8 as a feature request and I'm also unsure of when this feature would be added.

The new feature request ID for this item is SFT-1646. Please feel free to lead other users to this thread to cast a vote by commenting.

I have added your vote to add the description when importing a stock symbol list.
                              Riley S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by ScottWalsh, 04-16-2024, 04:29 PM
                              6 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post ScottWalsh  
                              Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
                              10 responses
                              0 likes