Scalper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Gumphrie,

Could you or someone else with more ninjascript expireance than me please tell me (help me) what I should add to your code so that a arrow is ploted under or above the bar which activates the scalper bar (if this is not a complicated modification), I mean, when a scalper UP bar is ploted that a UP arrow plots under the bar (bar 0) which just closed above the trigger bar and makes the scalper bar plot and the same for DOWN (sorry, not shure if I expres myselfe clear).
    Last edited by whitegun; 11-10-2007, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Hi Whitegun,

Isn't that the "Highlight current trigger bars" true/false config option in the properties? Do you have the latest version?

Comment

Hi Gumphrie,

Yes, I have the latest version but it is not the "Highlight current trigger bars" true/false config option what I am talkinig about.

At the moment there is absolutly no way to use scalper for a ATM strategy (this is how I see it, if I am wrong please correct me).

As scalper didn't is a plain bar or line plot but it is overriding the Plot class seams that it is not recognized at all in a ATM strategy, means, if I create a verry simple ATM strategy for test (using the strategy wizard) like: scalper(low)[3]>SMA(14)[3] go long (if 3 bars ago there is a scalper signal and the low of the scalper bar is higher than a 14day SMA 3 bars ago go long), the scalper is totaly ignored in the strategy, it simply enters long on the first bar (3 bars ago) above SMA.

However, the "Highlight current trigger bars" option can not be used in a ATM strategy because there would be a lot of wrong entries. When the arrow apear that not always means that you will get a scalper bar, if there is no close above or bellow the triger you simply get a new triger in an other place but you only wont enter if you get a confirmed scalper bar not only a posible one.

Please have a look at the atached picture:

What I mean is, bars that just made the scalper bar paint (bar 0 that closed above or below the trigger bar) get at the same time that the scalper bar is painted a arrow plotted above or below them.
        In a ATM strategy the entry would be at the next bar after the bar with the arrow.
        I suppose if now you would say: scalper(low)[0]>SMA(14)[0] enter long it should work (or am I wrong??)

Best Regards
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Whitegun,

Yes, there are two thing things that make it hard to use in any strategy.

1. It overrides the Plot class and doesn't actually write out any plots a strategy could pick up. You could get around this by creating another indicator using the same code that does write out a plot, but...
          2. It colours in the bars retrospectively so anything you plot will not match up with the actual bars plotted.

That said, please find attached an indicator that has two plots, "ScalpUpSeries" and "ScalpDownSeries" in different colours. If you add it to your chart it will plot a positive value ("1") when a Scalp Up bar is detected and a negative value ("-1") when a Scalp Down Bar is plotted. So something like :

Code:
          [FONT=Courier New] if (ScalpPlot.ScalpUpSeries[0]==1)
          [/FONT] [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]{[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New]
             [/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]EnterShort(DefaultQuantity, [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000]""[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]);[/SIZE]
          [/FONT] [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]}[/SIZE][/FONT]

Attached Files

Comment

Very nice. This could be very useful if used in conjunction with other filters to eliminate the many uninteresting triggers which happen in the market goes sideways for a while.

I'm curious about the color scheme, and naming conventions, however. It would seem more intuitive to me if red & green were reversed, so a green indication preceded an uptrend, and if ScalpUpSeries were used to indicate time to EnterLong, etc.

Am I missing something here?

Comment

Hi KBJ

ScalpUpSeries represents a high bar being painted, so that's why you would go short, and vica versa. I see there could be confusion between 'going up' and 'had an up', in which case I was thinking of the latter. They're just names I picked up at random when I was hacking the original code, so feel free to change it or suggest new ones.

Comment

What's most important is that the indicator is available for use. Thanks for creating it.

Comment

Thank you verry much Gumphrie!

Its exactly what I need and was searching, it works great.

Thanks!!!

Regards

Comment

Modify to keep arrows ?

Hello Gumphrie,

I wonder if this indicator can be modified to KEEP the painted arrows on the chart?

It's a great indicator - Thank you very much!
                    Jack

Comment

Originally posted by jackj90 View Post
                      I wonder if this indicator can be modified to KEEP the painted arrows on the chart?
                      Hi Jack, do you mean all of them or just the final ones? As the current trigger bar can change depending if it actually results in a scalp bar. You can easily populate a DataSeries to put all of them in, tricky bit will be taking out the redundant ones.

Comment

Hi Gumphrie
                        I meant all the PERMANENT ones.

I'm not a coder, so I have no idea what 'DataSeries' is..........

Even without keeping them all, its a wonderful indicator.

Thank you.

Jack

Comment

Hi Gumphrie and all,
                          Would anyone know how to add an audio alert with the painting of the up/down arrow?

Thanks,
                          Jack

Comment

It would just be a matter of adding this function to the code when it paints up/down.

PlaySound()
                            Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Josh,

Well, I added
                              PlaySound(@"C:\Program Files\NinjaTrader 6\sounds\Alert1.wav");
                              into the script, but I don't really know the script, or, where it would go.

Thanks anyway.
                              Jack

Comment

Unfortunately I have not reviewed Gumphrie's code, but you would generally put it in the same code block that the indicator marks the bars with.
                                Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by cre8able, Today, 03:20 PM
                                1 response
                                0 likes
                                Last Post cre8able  
                                Started by fiddich, Today, 05:25 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes