Playback "Go to" issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playback "Go to" issues

I'm hoping you might have some insight into some issues I'm having with the NT8 playback. I have attached a video link showing my issue. It seems no matter how small or large my changes to the time is, it always seems to go back to 12:00:00 AM and start advancing forward, not very fast either.It does the same thing whether I use the slider or right click and use "Go to". I am finding the use of playback to be completely useless and hugely time consuming. Playback is so useful for back-testing and for practice, I am finding I cannot make any use of it.

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

This is the way it works - it replays at fast speed to get your stuff in sync.

If you are running this on something other than a single core processor-

Close all workspaces other than the one you are using.

Your code might also have performance problems.

Comment

I'm not sure I'm understanding.... You're saying that playback will run better on a single core processor as opposed to a multi-core? I have a PC with an i7 processor, so I would think that would help, not hurt performance. Also, if the Ninjatrader programmers designed the playback like this intentionally, then they clearly don't use it, anyone who uses replay/playback extensively would be frustrated beyond belief! NT7 replay was far superior then NT8's, just my opinion as someone who uses replay extensively.
      Last edited by mlarocco; 03-04-2018, 10:57 AM.

Comment

No, I'm not saying that.

Did you close all other workspaces?

How many charts do you have open?

Comment

Originally posted by mlarocco View Post
          anyone who uses replay/playback extensively would be frustrated beyond belief! NT7 replay was far superior then NT8's, just my opinion as someone who uses replay extensively.
          I have over 1000 replay runs since the first bets.

I don't use goto function. It should replay at max speed until the time you specified. ..

Max speed should be around a 1.5 to 2 hour jump depending on what is happening.

There were problems around nt8 beta 8? With speed and having too many tabs, chats, workspaces open.

I haven't retested those extremes since I consolidated all my ES data into ES ##-## requiring only 1 chart instead of 1 chart with 16 tabs.

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
            No, I'm not saying that.

Did you close all other workspaces?

How many charts do you have open?
            I was confused by you saying “ if you are running this on something other than a single core processor”. So, I only have one workspace with one chart open
            Last edited by mlarocco; 03-04-2018, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
              I have over 1000 replay runs since the first bets.

I don't use goto function. It should replay at max speed until the time you specified. ..

Max speed should be around a 1.5 to 2 hour jump depending on what is happening.

There were problems around nt8 beta 8? With speed and having too many tabs, chats, workspaces open.

I haven't retested those extremes since I consolidated all my ES data into ES ##-## requiring only 1 chart instead of 1 chart with 16 tabs.
              It does move at a higher speed, but I find it ridiculous that it always goes back to 12:00 AM no matter how little you want to back it up! Even at the MAX speed it wastes a huge amount of time, in my opinion.
              Last edited by mlarocco; 03-04-2018, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Hello mlarocco,

This is expected behavior with the playback controller, if you would like to suggest a change to this feature to the development team please let me know and I can submit your suggestion as a feature request.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
                Alan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_AlanS View Post
                  Hello mlarocco,

This is expected behavior with the playback controller, if you would like to suggest a change to this feature to the development team please let me know and I can submit your suggestion as a feature request.

Yes, please do. Simply change it so it operates like market replay does in NT7. I truly find NT8 playback too frustrating to use. I have to believe if whoever made the decision that this behavior is acceptable we’re to use it every day, they would agree.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_AlanS View Post
                    Hello mlarocco,

I would like to second mlarocco's concerns about playback in NT8. I use Playback to practice my entries, exits and managing my my positions. So it is very common for me to run through a trade, and then go back and practice that same trade again. It is insane to have to wait 2 to 3 minutes for it to replay all the ticks from 12:00am. Another way that I use playback is to scan the day at faster rate of speed to look for trades to practice. Sometimes I catch the trade before it develops, but very often I go past the trade and then need to back up a few minutes to practice the trade. This worked fine in NT7, I would just "go to" the time a few minutes before the trade, and then practice the trade. Now in NT8, I have to sit and wait for 2-3 minutes while it replays all the ticks since 12:00am. Very inefficient and a waste of my time.

We should be able to select the amount of data that we want replayed before our set "go to" time. We should be able to choose replay "1min", "30min", "1hr", from 12:00am, etc.....

So please add me to the list of people who would this feature changed.

Thank You

Comment

Request for selecting setup time in NT8 Playback

This is in response to a thread over in the Technical Support area.

Playback "Go to" issues by mlarocco.

NinjaTrader_AlanS said that NT8 works as designed and that we should post a feature request if we want to see it changed, so I am posting that request here.

Currently in NT8 Playback, anytime that you select a new time with "Go To" or the slider, Playback replays every tick from 12am that day to the time that you request. Even with it playing back at max speed, this can easily take 2-3 minutes or even longer.

I understand that this was done to improve the accuracy of the Playback feature, but not every indicator or every system needs to see every tick starting at 12am. The amount of replay time should be user select-able. Whether that time is 1min, 1hr or the whole day, it should be up to the user to select the amount of tick by tick playback setup time needed.

Playback is one of the most valuable features in NinjaTrader, and I feel that it has been severely broken in NT8. I use Playback to scan the day at a fast rate of speed to find potential trades to practice. Sometimes I catch the trade as it is developing and can switch to normal speed to practice the trade, but I often I pass by the trade and need to step back to get to the trade. This is incredibly painful when you have to replay the whole day just to back up a couple of minutes. It is also a major issue when you want to practice the same trade several times.

I urge the NinjaTrader Team to please consider adding the ability for the user to select the amount of Playback setup time when jumping to a new time. This change would restore one of the best features of NinjaTrader, that has been severely crippled in NT8.

Thank You.

Comment

Playback / Replay

Playback is the main reason I have not committed myself to NT8. Replay in 7 is a workable user friendly tool. Users and vendors alike were, waiting for changes in the latest release. Being able to backup, advance and re-trade a setup used to be efficient.The current state that Playback is in unfortunately does not have the bragging rights that Replay does. Having to go back to 12:00 when backing or advancing a chart is very non productive, wasteful use of time. This converts to less use of the tool and the work one needs to accomplish.

Comment

Playback is absolutely AWFUL in NT8...fatal flaw and they won't fix it.

Comment

Hello SawDr,

Thanks for your post.

I want to make sure I get your concerns addressed correctly. Can you clarify exactly what is occurring with the Playback Connection you are dissatisfied with?

I look forward to your reply.
                            Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

If Ninjatrader programmers deliberately designed the replica in this way and obviously do not use it, anyone who uses the replica extensively would be incredibly frustrated! The playback of NT7 was, in my opinion, far superior to that of NT8 as a person who uses the playback widely.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by timmbbo, 07-05-2023, 10:21 PM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                              Started by tkaboris, Today, 08:01 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby